Home General Discussion

Another Inspiration thread!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings folks;

I have been studying and learning game development (uhh, 2d concept art, 3d modeling, rendering, concept sculpting, how to export your model with texture in to the open source / non open source game engine, game programming, game engine programming) and I have come to realize a pattern of stuff that inspires me just in 3d modeling and 2d concept art. (speed modeling videos)

Anyways; I am at the point that I know the stuff that needs to be done, how to work in the tools and I am learning anatomy, buying comic books to have a firm understanding of how the concept art actually works before the process of production material takes place (such as animated/rendered 3d models) You can call it an intermediate level.

So the pattern that I am talking about is how one noob artist would work on one concept and feels like he has not achieved what he expected to achieve after he is done, so he discards the entire project. Then he would go to youtube and watch some video of some guy who makes this sick ass model and renders it out in Zbrush in 10 minutes. Inspired by that, the newbie artist would go back to his desk think of another concept and work like hell and still wouldnt feel that he has done it right after he is done, so he discards it. He repeats the process, until he feels that he is way far from what he is willing to achieve and that this section of studies is just not for him. In other words, he pushes himself around and does not achieve fully what he wants to achieve.

To newbies here (newbies to arts, not to the forum.) Anyone felt that he/ she is being pushed for a starters/ not so distinct from starters by the demanded work that is required to get a decent recognition in the 3d world? (I know its a big ladder to climb to become one of those artists who would make such sick models but still.)

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    They'll always be someone better than you. We all start off at different floors and it is up to you to find that elevator and ride to the top.

Personally I see all these character models and I'm amazed. I could never do that because I can't exactly draw and anatomy, composure etc are not in my interests.

But environments are my thing. I look at other peoples work and sometimes it does discourage because I compare mine to theirs but I try not to think too much about it. Instead I try to match their quality and ask myself what they do differently that I do not.

Anyway if these thoughts come to your mind, don't worry so much. All you need is time and dedication. We are all artists and we can reach the top provided we put our efforts in.

Someone said it takes 10,000 hours to master something so go nuts.

Here's a final example, I'm playing Monster Hunter 3 at the moment and I started at the bottom. It took me a few months to get to the highest level and achieve the materials I needed to make the best armour. That took time and the same applies here so don't worry, you'll soon look back and think how the hell did I get so good.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Greetings folks;

I have been studying and learning game development (uhh, 2d concept art, 3d modeling, rendering, concept sculpting, how to export your model with texture in to the open source / non open source game engine, game programming, game engine programming) and I have come to realize a pattern of stuff that inspires me just in 3d modeling and 2d concept art. (speed modeling videos)

Anyways; I am at the point that I know the stuff that needs to be done, how to work in the tools and I am learning anatomy, buying comic books to have a firm understanding of how the concept art actually works before the process of production material takes place (such as animated/rendered 3d models) You can call it an intermediate level.

So the pattern that I am talking about is how one noob artist would work on one concept and feels like he has not achieved what he expected to achieve after he is done, so he discards the entire project. Then he would go to youtube and watch some video of some guy who makes this sick ass model and renders it out in Zbrush in 10 minutes. Inspired by that, the newbie artist would go back to his desk think of another concept and work like hell and still wouldnt feel that he has done it right after he is done, so he discards it. He repeats the process, until he feels that he is way far from what he is willing to achieve and that this section of studies is just not for him. In other words, he pushes himself around and does not achieve fully what he wants to achieve.

To newbies here (newbies to arts, not to the forum.) Anyone felt that he/ she is being pushed for a starters/ not so distinct from starters by the demanded work that is required to get a decent recognition in the 3d world? (I know its a big ladder to climb to become one of those artists who would make such sick models but still.)

Why are you studying everything and not one subject?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Why are you studying everything and not one subject?

maybe because hes in school? I think that could be the reason
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Man, I just finished talking to my friend who talked about how he lived in full poverty in indonesia and how his sister starved to death and how things were a little hard but he's glad he made it through.

Then I immediately came on here and read how your finding hard that your art isn't coming along as fast as you'd like.

Damn... Perspective is a bitch.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Yea Nitewalkr don't get discouraged when you look at amazing work of art, instead get inspired, hoping you can reach that level one day. :D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Habboi wrote: »
    They'll always be someone better than you. We all start off at different floors and it is up to you to find that elevator and ride to the top.

Personally I see all these character models and I'm amazed. I could never do that because I can't exactly draw and anatomy, composure etc are not in my interests.

But environments are my thing. I look at other peoples work and sometimes it does discourage because I compare mine to theirs but I try not to think too much about it. Instead I try to match their quality and ask myself what they do differently that I do not.

Anyway if these thoughts come to your mind, don't worry so much. All you need is time and dedication. We are all artists and we can reach the top provided we put our efforts in.

Someone said it takes 10,000 hours to master something so go nuts.

Here's a final example, I'm playing Monster Hunter 3 at the moment and I started at the bottom. It took me a few months to get to the highest level and achieve the materials I needed to make the best armour. That took time and the same applies here so don't worry, you'll soon look back and think how the hell did I get so good.

Art maths and programming are only 3 things that you need to eat breath and sleep in order to become a pro. I am doing that but I just cant give time to every instance of this major goal.
    Jungsik wrote: »
    maybe because hes in school? I think that could be the reason

No..At Univ I am studying software systems and design..:3

Thats another core I would not add in to my personal studies when I talk about them. Reason being. You dont have to be "artistically" creative in programming. The reason I do this set of things is because I am pretty sure everyone have this set of work-flow going.
    2d concept art, then 3d modeling / sculpting (that would add to re-topology part of the set)then it would be texturing, rendering, and possible implementations of the animation cycles.

Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Man, I just finished talking to my friend who talked about how he lived in full poverty in indonesia and how his sister starved to death and how things were a little hard but he's glad he made it through.

Then I immediately came on here and read how your finding hard that your art isn't coming along as fast as you'd like.

Damn... Perspective is a bitch.

"Aint that a bitch!" :D

I've known this prospective from start, but ya I got your point crystal clear.
    Its just a newbies' prospective was what I was looking for, and how they handled it.
    Anyways thanks :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    All I gotta say is just keep on busting ass, those who want it and fight for it will always trump those who don't... and at times it may take longer, or seem like you aren't getting anywhere, but those are the times that matter the most. Those are the times that you need to prove to yourself that you can do it, and that you will do it and get through it.

This industry is all about pushing yourself as much as you can, at a constant rate. You see these amazing artists creating amazing pieces so "easily"... but they were once like you, and you know what they did... THEY BUSTED ASS!

There is no easy button, which I'm fortunate for, so buckle down and keep on working!!!!!