Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Steve Cronin 3D Character and environment artist

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
G-Saviour18 polycounter lvl 12
Hi everyone, making my first real run at applying to places for junior positions around the UK, crits on presentation, work etc are most welcome. Heres the link, please leave feedback :)

http://stevencronin.carbonmade.com/

Thank you!

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Most of the images are small, and all of them seem to heavy quite heavy JPG compression.
    The terminal, for instance, could use a close up version of the screen part, as I'm guessing it's for a FPS and the player would walk up quite close to it. And the engineer sculpt has a 'close up' of the face which is not even 100 pixels high - not enough space for all the details. And the WIP lowpoly engineer - the one that uses a 2048² texture? it's rendered at 1/10th of the texture size.

I'd say have the full body on the same scale as this one and then have a couple of closeups that are about 350 pixels high. It's not horrible if your sheets are higher than 1 screen, as long as each piece is decently visible at once. By that I mean, sure - add several renders of 900x600 underneath eachother in one image (easier download) but don't have 1 render of a human that's 2000 pixels tall.

Concerning the download btw.. "780x245.jpeg" isn't very informative. If I download the file, and later see it again - I have no idea where it came from. There's no reference to you in the image name, and no text/url in the image either. You want people to be able to find you, even of someone only sees 1 image of you on someone elses harddrive.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    First of all. What do you want to be? Once you've decided, only show work in relation to that. So if you want to be a character artist then only show characters. Evironment Artist, then props and environments consisting of said props.

Put all your work on one page. Right now it's all empty.

Finally, read this. http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012479...ow_to_Make_One

P.S. A nice ello to a fellow UK'er. I went to University of East London :)
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G-Saviour18 polycounter lvl 12
    Snader: thanks for your comment, with regards to stuff like file name and compression, the site I'm using compresses it, and the site I upload to the image host changes the file name lol Thanks for bringing it up though, I'll trying correcting these.

And thanks for your crits on the presentation of some of them, I'll change some of them.

Habboi: I want to be a character artist, I'm new to 3D though so I know I'm some way off yet to getting a job in that area, environment/ prop modelling would be the next thing but I've not created any new work in that area besides the "freenet terminal" shown in my portfolio.

As for having just a portfolio of one specific thing, I've seen quite a few with all sorts of things thrown in, is it really a complete "No" to having an emphasis in one area in your portfolio, and also have some other stuff put aside too (in my case focusing on characters, and adding the props and drawings in there as additional work)?

Saying that I seem to have lost my focus a little, I knew a few months back it would be smarter to do environment/ prop art since thats the most likely position I'll get at entry level, seem to have been given too many character stuff the past month or two! lol
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Very brave if you want to do characters. It's one of the hardest to get. My advice is to decide now and put all work in regards to that at the front. Any other work that isn't related to the role can go on a blog or better yet make a misc section and dump all work there.

Basically you want a front page with all your best work just thrown in our faces. Anything else can go on a seperate page.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think the character stuff shows potential and to me there is no harm continuing with the props stuff. You can specilaize down the line
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Character artist is indeed one of the hardest to get, usually what people will start off with is doing prop design and work their way up, I think it would be best if you had more prop design and models, I mean game-ready ones. Good luck!