Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Robotic Welding Arm

Here's my welding arm with textures applied. I'm new at this whole modeling thing, feedback is appreciated.

RoboticWeldingArmUDK.jpg

RoboticWeldingArmRender.jpg

Replies

• Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    You might want to provide us with some wireframes of the model if you want any help with the polygon flow on the model.

Also is this meant to be for a game? Depending on the scene where you want to put it, you might want to save some smaller details like the small bolts on the black circles for the normal maps.

Anyway, right now all I noticed was:

iKVcA.jpg

- The pixel density between the two black circles (1A and 1B) is different. You might want to just use the same UVW space for both (ie, delete the one at the top and just copy the other). This way you get some extra space for other parts of the model.

- I don't exactly know what you're using as a base but you might want to add one extra edge on the yellow metallic part to the right of 1B. Also where it meets the circular base.

- On the UDK scene it didn't seem so obvious (but there was some sort of normal error?), but on 2 you got the edges on different smoothing groups. If you want a smoother surface you can have all those polygons sharing the same smoothing group.

- On 3 I was just showing two places but there are a few more where the meshes seem to be floating (right) or just don't fit (left). There are a couple other places but that can be easily fixed.

- Lastly, on 4 I was just pointing one texture issue where you can see the seams. If you can't still make good looking seams, you could rotate the circle so that the seam is hidden by the black box on the back with the caution sign. There are other texture issues like lack of highlighted edges or parts where you could add much more visual information. But I will leave that for someone else to comment.

Otherwise it's looking great for someone new to this whole modeling thing. Hopefully you can find some of the comments helpful. But as I said first, you might want to post wireframes so people can also help you out with the polygon flow. Once you get that done, that's when you start caring about the textures, imo :P