Home General Discussion

Internet Blacklist!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Anyone hear about this? Am I late? verify...
This is B.s. and I saw it coming as well as many others.
We all use the internets(lol) so I figured this was a valid post.

Source:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-segal/stop-the-internet-blackli_b_739836.html

If you care sign the petition and pass this info on:
http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/

Enjoy the debate!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The older you get the less laws you should be allowed to enact. Like driving there should be a cut off point...
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Well this Thursday is when it all goes down lets hope the ECA has there way and some sense gets knocked into congress
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Meh, this internet is getting too commercialized anyway, lets move to a new one \o/.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Already signed. Dont forget about Net Neutrality as well.

And also..

Im actually against the new proposals of making laws about internet privacy. It should be an anarchic place that you have to use wisely versus posting all your details shamelessly.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't live in the US, so this doesn't affect me right?

If we're completely honest, pirates will ALWAYS find a way around shit like this.
  • Justin Meisse
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't live in the US, so this doesn't affect me right?

If we're completely honest, pirates will ALWAYS find a way around shit like this.

It wouldn't effect you directly but if a US based website you use gets blacklisted because of claimed copyright infringement and then they loose massive amounts of traffic because of the black list then they could go out of business and then your left without said website :poly121:
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    rebb wrote: »
    Meh, this internet is getting too commercialized anyway, lets move to a new one \o/.
    You don't get to play on that one, only Government agencies and authorised corporations get access to it :shifty:
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And it passes the Senate Committee....

Just has to pass in the house of reps and senate again and then Bam let the blacklist commence
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome, let the police state begin! this is retarded, it would effectively take away opinion, which is the great power of the internet or how about getting news that isnt ridiculously censored or filtered, and anything that is against goverment policy, just shut it down.

this is another stupid bill ive read about, the other is that one that has already passed a few teirs of votes that would effectively make it illegal to grow your own vegitables/farm. all veggies and fruits etc would become a matter of national security......how fucking stupid. read this if you feel like balking at human stupidity.....
    http://noworldsystem.com/2010/04/28/new-senate-bill-prevents-you-from-growing-food/

this kinda shit drives me crazy and Im not even american.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, let the police state begin! this is retarded, it would effectively take away opinion, which is the great power of the internet or how about getting news that isnt ridiculously censored or filtered, and anything that is against goverment policy, just shut it down.

this is another stupid bill ive read about, the other is that one that has already passed a few teirs of votes that would effectively make it illegal to grow your own vegitables/farm. all veggies and fruits etc would become a matter of national security......how fucking stupid. read this if you feel like balking at human stupidity.....
    http://noworldsystem.com/2010/04/28/new-senate-bill-prevents-you-from-growing-food/

this kinda shit drives me crazy and Im not even american.

No it doesnt seem to.
    "Declares that a facility under the FFDCA does not include private residences of individuals"
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2749&tab=summary

Lets worry about the blacklist bill shall we?
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Glad to hear at least one senator has some common sense.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Do you have a link to that...I thought it passed the judiciary committee?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It did, but Sen. Ron Wyden is going to block it from coming to the floor from what I understand.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ 100s of sites went down today. We we're too late.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/11/26/businessinsider-homeland-security-is-seizing-internet-domains-left-and-right-2010-11.DTL#ixzz16Q5g0FsQ

All my hip hop music sites disappeared before i noticed they were seizing everything up.

BitTorrent Search Engine is gone. I think all the torrent search engines will go down soon too
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ 100s of sites went down today. We we're too late.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/11/26/businessinsider-homeland-security-is-seizing-internet-domains-left-and-right-2010-11.DTL#ixzz16Q5g0FsQ

All my hip hop music sites disappeared before i noticed they were seizing everything up.

BitTorrent Search Engine is gone. I think all the torrent search engines will go down soon too

Yup. Apparently I woke up in China this morning.

This pisses me off so much.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Yeah half my bookmarks now all have the same page see for yourself:

http://rapgodfathers.com/

http://www.onsmash.com/
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Now the torrent search sites are going:

http://torrent-finder.com/

just died.

Welp. Guess my life is over.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    haha what, how serious is this? How little does it take for a site to get taken down? Also, does only affect servers in the US? Or worldwide?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worldwide. They take over the domain name, so anyone who goes to that domain goes to a Homeland Security website.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, really? got a source or a quote stating that all they do is take the domain name and that it is worldwide?

I mean, piratebay is hosted in sweden or something, could they take down piratebay?
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Top comment
    "Sensationalist headline aside, upon closer examination this all look OK to me. It went through the judicial process. A warrant was issued. Saying there were no prior complaints or notification is a strawman argument. Customs doesn't give advanced notice to someone before they knock down the door of their warehouse selling counterfeit merchandise. Why would the web site owner get prior notification? And how would he know if there had or had not been complaints? Louis Vuitton is going to complain to the authorities, not to some shady web site."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/homeland-security-is-seizing-internet-domains-left-and-right-2010-11#comments#ixzz16Rm4yS6l
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still doesn't seem like this will carry any weight on servers based outside America :|
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I misunderstood your question then. I don't know for certain if they can or can not take over domains from websites which are outside of the US. But what I meant was that when they do take down a website, that site is down for everyone in the world since they take over that domain.

Which is really counter-intuitive, because we should be protecting speech here in the states, not pushing people to other countries.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    They're primarily going after .com because the domain name servers are based in the USA so subject to Federal law. Other domains are more complicated to shut down due to their being outside US jurisdiction.

As for that quoted comment.. this allows them to *avoid* the courts, that's the whole point about it, it gives the corporations behind the legislation veto authority to get Federal Agencies involved. Look at what happened with PirateBay.. had this law been available back then they would have simply been shut down without the need for the show trials.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMG_0421-650x433.jpg

http://datenform.de/blog/dead-drops-preview/

On a lighter note, this is what file sharing will look like in the future :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Doesnt this go against the 5th amendment? Specifically 'shall not be deprived of property without due process of law'?
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Funny, this happens a few weeks before wikileaks sharing US diplomatic cables on the net and posting an encrypted file as insurance (to refrain autorities to shut their site down) on the torrents sites.... Coincidence...or not.

When they smell danger, they build wall around it... same here in France with gov "thiefs" stealing computers of "uncontrolled news website"..
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, this is MAJOR.

What the heck has this country come to? Seriously worried for the future.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They'll just rehost the site outside of the US, no big deal.

UK is still free ;)
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They'll just rehost the site outside of the US, no big deal.

UK is still free ;)

That's the keyword here, not for long with the ACTA... It's only a matter of time before world governments create law that mute the last free speech place that is the web.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    That's the keyword here, not for long with the ACTA... It's only a matter of time before world governments create law that mute the last free speech place that is the web.

It doesnt make much difference we never had free speech anyway(they are coming down on twitter). It was only a matter of time before they attacked the web. Its things like this though, that show that governments are blatantly corrupt, and not for the people.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    My work internet is a good expample of how things will go haha, every other site is blocked by messagelabs, and though it may not be law as such, many web providers may adopt it as 'policy' so they use the same DB of blacklisted sites to censor anyone with an 'always-on' connection.

Same thing is happening with supplements/vitamins in UK, Europe makes policy (note: not law ) which then gets synergised into UK law, as after all, it's too much effort to research and make careful consideration about these things.

Ruled by beurocracy, created by old people out of touch with whatever it is they're making the laws for in the first place. :P
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    Ruled by beurocracy, created by old people out of touch with whatever it is they're making the laws for in the first place. :P

I don't know how it goes in the rest of the world, but I can tell you one thing, in France, they perfectly know what they are doing: they create laws to enforce the visibility/market of the company where they (or a family member) have market shares... It's even the case with our president and his reform on the pensions sytem, trying to break it from the inside to give the market to Malakoff mederic, a company specialized in private pensions... Why ? Because he has family in the headquarters...

Like Calabi said, so corrupt it's sickening.

Its that kind of information they are trying to prevent going into the wild, that kind of information I got from the sites that got their computers stolen after the recent Karachi scandal they uncovered... don't make the mistake to think they are obsolete, they are at the top of the food chain...
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    hmm this is actually prty important
    I cant even sign the petition T_T, not in US
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To quote a comment I saw on an article
    "f*ck you wikilinks, you had to go and beat the hornet nest with a stick, didn't you!? Well f*ck you and your integrity right to hell"
    "Lesson 1 in smothering the older generation with a pillow does not include letting them take a breather"
    It will be interesting to see if there is a boost in sales, or just a decline in fans.
    It will be interesting just how far they take it and just when and where society decides to draw the line.

Personally I'm all for cracking down on some torrent sites and enforcing some rules (I know... I'm standing by "the man" on this) but I don't think seizing domains is the right way to go. I think cleaning the sites of known illegal content when they're alerted to it would be in order. If no one complains about content then it would be fine to leave it up.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to make it understood. The federal action taken yesterday was NOT corresponding to the original bill this thread is talking about.

The original bill instead is much more big brother in that it would require all ISPs to block webtraffic to certain sites.

However. Upon what happened yesterday. If the said owners feel violated of their rights. I urge them to make a class action lawsuit on constitutional grounds.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Let's all make an Alter-net. IT would be like the internet, but underground and more hacker-like.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    its cause we are full of optimistic people! :D:D:D:D:D::DD:
    D
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I don't really see it as optimism, I see it more as an issue of us realizing that the government can only go so far until there is an outrage, then the gov't will realize just how far they can push and retract just far enough to keep the people happy. Let's be honest, it's happened before and it will happen again.

I am hoping that it doesn't last long.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I don't like the idea (and I'm sure everyone else doesn't) of facing a "This site is blocked" message. I'm fine with it, if it's innevitable, as long as it's just torrent sites. If they start blocking torrent programs in general or stop me looking at grown up stuff then that's the straw.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm fine with it, if it's innevitable, as long as it's just torrent sites.

You shouldn't be fine with it even if it's torrent sites, and even if you think torrents and file-sharing are evil.

This is a matter of principle. And in principle, I believe in freedom of speech, which means anyone can say anything at any point no matter if it's harmful or not, and even if it hurts corporations. For us to try and decide that certain things are cool and others are bad just opens a huge pandora's box. Who decides what's good and bad? Right now it doesn't concern us, because it's just torrents and we hate them. But in the future they may decide that violent video-games are bad and ban those by shutting down Steam. Seems far-fetched, I know, but that the government would censor the web at all seemed far-fetched just a few years ago. These things happen in small baby-steps.

Which is why I believe we should oppose it on principle, not on utility.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    I don't know how it goes in the rest of the world, but I can tell you one thing, in France, they perfectly know what they are doing: they create laws to enforce the visibility/market of the company where they (or a family member) have market shares... It's even the case with our president and his reform on the pensions sytem, trying to break it from the inside to give the market to Malakoff mederic, a company specialized in private pensions... Why ? Because he has family in the headquarters...

Like Calabi said, so corrupt it's sickening.

Its that kind of information they are trying to prevent going into the wild, that kind of information I got from the sites that got their computers stolen after the recent Karachi scandal they uncovered... don't make the mistake to think they are obsolete, they are at the top of the food chain...

Yeah, I was trying on the run, not dismissing massive corruption too. :thumbup: