Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Scene

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
Quick screen grab of a scene I'm building within the UDK. Critiques welcomed.

Capture02.jpg

Replies

• OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Too dark. Needs better lighting contrast. Use vertex blending or decals to break things up on the floor. Looks too repetitive and boring.
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    good start.

- There is a major problem with scale. The pipes and valves r too big which makes all the other objects (barrels and especially forklift) seem tiny. The foreground valve is especially huge by looking at which the ceiling height feels like an average human would touch it with the head.

-Lighting. In a dark cellar like that the wall lights would produce high contrast shadows since there is no "sky". There would be strong contrast between pools of light and shadow. Right now it looks like those red lamps don't affect anything at all and as if the whole scene was lit by a skylight (or a strong ambiant light).

- Texture pixel density is different throughout the level. Actually the floor has a lower quality texture than ceiling has while player looks at the flor more than at the ceiling ;) Make your floor sharper, higher res and less "muddy"

- Try to lower the camera to reach the human head height. That is because the level is enclosed and quite low height so a floating camera contributes to the scale/height confusion.

- Right now the white container in the center of the screen takes all the attention along with acid patch. I would reccommend to darken it up and maybe brighten a forklift a bit and bring it closer to the center as it is the most complex prop among all available in the scene.

- Finally, the acid patch is not doing the job. It almost looks like a green rectangle. At first I even thought that you forgot to apply alpha to the material. Check reference for liquid patches. They have smooth rounded edges. Moreover, it would kilda emit some light ;)

EDIT: Btw, what could be a good motivation and reference for your scene is Russia level in off-limits mod :

http://www.off-limits.be/?cat=3&paged=2
  • ajv3d
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    sweet, thanks for the advice, I'll be making the changes.
  • ajv3d
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the advice, I'll be brightening the lighting. I wanted to use vertex blending on the walls, but the floor is BSP. Is vertex blending possible on BSP?
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    probably not, but u can just make all as static meshes, its just a cube after all ;)
  • ajv3d
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Right on, I'll be making all these changes and I'll be re posting soon. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.