Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concrete Barrier

Here is a test Barrier I am working on for texturing practice. I know it has alot of repeating things but i haven't gone over it with more layers to hide it. I also know I havn't textured the rebar pieces. I wanted to post it now so i can get the best C&C early in the creation process and not have to go back & redo alot of parts. Thank You!

render01forum.jpg

Replies

• jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd almost make it a little more generous in the poly department, it's just looking a little square right now, especially with the lack of smoothing groups.

Also, I'm not sure if you are making this from any reference, but yeah, the textures is a little repeated and I'm not sure what those green squares are.

scupper.jpg

This is good for some texture blending reference. Also this is a 3D concrete barrier done, you can see the damage and how the texture looks bumpy on it.
    barrier.jpg
    I hope these are good examples.

Also, how are you texturing this? Is this just a repeating texture put onto it to wrap, or is it unwrapped and you are laying out the textures on the uv map?
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimmypopali@ : I unwrapped the model and I am texturing it in Photoshop.

Here is an updated version. still no rebar textures yet. There are groups titled graffiti, damage, cracks, fluids, blood & stains that have about 50 layers each that I can turn on to make endless variations. The picture below only has 1 Graffiti applied. I made it look less repeated even though the moss looks alittle bit repeated. There is no Specular or Normal map yet.

render02forum.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    How many layers do you have?! 50? or 50 for each layer? either way thats way to many even if you wanted variations. If you wanted variations then they would have to be on separate textures anyway!

Like jimmypopali said you could so with adding a few more polys in there, maybe modeling in some damage.

I assume the moss is the green bit? It doesnt look much like moss, as far as i know moss tends to start tpo grow in ledges and cracks and it certainly isn't square!

also you should try and fade the graffti into the barrier it looks brand new!

and is this a tling texture or unique? It looks like you are tiling it atm which is fine but like you said it's repeating quite a bit! If i was doing it id have unique UVs then you can bake a nice AO and have some nice grunge that isnt so "thrown about" :)

It's a good start though :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    also did they use a fine point pin for that graffiti? It's about 1x2 foot, so definitely not a big spray can....

get this...

http://eat3d.com/pillar
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, the texture is definitely off. Never seen a concrete barrier look like that.

I can see how the brushes you're using in photoshop are repeating and that's not too good. Overall I'd mellow it down a bit, especially with the green.
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you wanna make such a graffiti on such a small object you'd need an aerograph to do that and this would take a lot of time. One big tag should do the thing...

BTW. you missed a lot of details that can be seen on such an object (hole at the bottom, hooks, some nice damage).

fig9.jpg
    RM003%20concrete%20road%20barriers.jpg
    Road%20to%20St.%20Francis%20Dam%20site.jpg
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Even just removing the repeating green squares in your texture will make a lot of difference. But for that added realism I'd sculpt/model some damage and grunge it up a bit! Also try adding a surface texture to the concrete as its rarely perfectly smooth. The model above by Yves Augustus (posted by jimmypopali ) is a great reference for this.
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I need to add more polys & i have an alternate version the has been sculpted in zbrush. Mainly the super low poly barrier was to test out my texture detail placement skill such as cracks and texture damage. Thanks for the C&C so far ill start working on the one sculpted in zbrush now & post pic of it now and change the base concrete layer to one tat doesnt have moss.
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an older barrier i modeled about a year ago. Is this what it should look more like?

oldrenderforum01.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that looks alot better! The texture still needs work, its a bit too busy and you need to add some well placed grunge :)

also i have never seen any bars bend at the topo like yours do. Do you have reference for it?
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SaferDan: I don't have a picture reference but it is based of the barriers that are scattered around where I play airsoft & they look like that.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats cool, i have just never seen bars like that but if you have seen it yourself then its all good!

Having said that i just did a google search and they dont seem that popular and although you have seen them i don't think many other people would recognise it and from the point of view of a player in a game it might be viewed as wrong? Who knows, maybe im nit picking too much!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    SaferDan wrote: »
    y
    also i have never seen any bars bend at the topo like yours do. Do you have reference for it?

here ya go..

new_jersey_barrier_2000.jpg
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the new model with a base concrete layer. No rebar texture or normals.

render05.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jeremy Lindstrom yeah like i said i did a quick google serach and they do exsit sure they jst dont seem very popular and i wasnt sure if players might get a bit confused about what they were is all :)

@Fr0stguard that is a sexy stone barrier my friend! I like it alot a big improvement :) can we see your uvs, it still looks like its tiling?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hey dude,

I did a super quick paint over with just a few concrete textures from cgtextures. right now the lack of color variation and the repeated details on the texture are killing it. every detail is the same size.

getting some larger splotches and stains in there will really help make it more readable and believable. some cracks and spots to break it up would help. also, rendering on a background that is dark grey or a gradient would help with the presentation plure black or white render backgrounds tend to look bad. hope this helps man, cheers.

Concrete_barrier.jpg
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PixelMasher: Yeah thats the look im going for except i have a picture my gf drew that has my name and hers in a blood splatter shaped heart and I was going to make the blood look realistic and put it on it only for the portfolio piece when it gets good enough

@SaferDan: It is tiling it wasnt the UV's i accidentally just put the concrete picture i was using for the texture as the material for the concrete part instead of the uv textures.

On a side note does anyone have a tutorial or knows how to make a map of the uv's so i can ovelay them on my texture to make sure stuff is where it belongs without having to save every 5 seconds & look at it in MAX?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Do you mean when you're on your Edit UVWs Window, go to Tools->Render UVW Templace, click Render UV Template and save it out as a .png?
  • Fr0stguard
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what it looks like now that it has been grunged up. Next ill probrably make the normals if it looks good with the diffuse the way it is now. I think the rebar that is stiking out needs a little bit of detail. What do you guys think?

render06f.jpg