Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Jessy De Lannoit

The Wanderer
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
The Wanderer polycounter lvl 12
www.jessydelannoit.com

Hi, I'm looking for critic on my portfolio, but more specifically on the work I display (f.e. i'm unsure of displaying my unfinished work on it). I'm also looking for an internship position (i'm following a game development university course in Belgium named Digital Arts & Entertainment).

Thanks

Replies

• Snex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, welcome to the forums.

I'm by no means a professional, still in uni and my artowrk is around your level. The thing I noticed first was your grammar. Specifically:

"I made this as an assignment for school to create a current gen concrete pole which had a hole in it. I quite like the end results even though it is a simplistic model."

Try being more direct and really focus on what you want to say. Remember KISS
    (keep it simple stupid) is usually better than rambling on.
    Something like "Created a current gen prop to test my photo-realistic texturing skills." is what I would say.

Another thing that also grabbed my attention was the topology of your rocks. You obviously sculpted them in mudbox/zbrush then used a poly reducing tool. In my experience employers would rather see you do your own optimization rather than using a tool. I understand its a static mesh and has no deformation, but one of your first jobs in the industry will be optimizing other peoples meshes.

just my 2 cents, enjoy.
  • The Wanderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, thanks for the feedback. Will change it.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Your work looks very solid. I'd like to see more work with a little more polish and baked down from a high poly. I don't think you'll have a problem getting to that level with a little more practice.

I think your explanations actually hurt you. Your work looks almost industry level, but your explanations are full of excuses and giveaways that you lack experience. Knowing that something was the first time you attempted something just reinforces that you lack experience instead of excusing any flaws in the work, and knowing you lost the unreal challenge to industry vets doesn't mean anything because you should be at their level to get a job anyway. Placing 2nd is good enough, don't make excuses about the other teams having more experience.

Your work should be able to stand on its own, making excuses to anyone who looks at the work just gives away that you are insecure about the work. If it isn't good enough, make it good enough, don't give reasons why it isn't good enough.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    +1 for changing the description text. A quick bit about what the model is and what its specifications are should be enough.
  • The Wanderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i haven't gotten around changing the text on the map challenge page.

btw i'm very happy with second place, it was great fun to do, though i do see what you guys are saying and i'll go re-read my texts and look for any excuses (i'm doing it subconsciously i swear :P ). I will also make my texts more descriptive rather than personal "what was happening at the time and why i did this" kinds of texts.

I'll do all those changes first thing tomorrow morning and thanks for the great feedback, I appreciate it a lot.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also take off your birthday, why does an employer need to know that?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Konrad hit the nail on the head. The descriptions really do detract from the pieces. One thing is they are entirely too long for what they are used for, and they also state things that can immediately be interpreted by recruiters as something negative (which is obviously a bad thing). If one thing I've learned it's to keep things as simple as possible. Be descriptive about poly counts, texture sizes, and really short descriptions of inspirations or reasons the piece was made (if there were any). Again, this has all pretty much been covered by the others and should definitely be followed (as it is all great advice)

Right now it seems like you have a little bit of both level design and some props and models but no real focus on either. I'd say you may want to nail down what you enjoy the most and really focus on that aspect and beef up your portfolio in that direction. It's never a bad thing to show you are skilled in multiple aspects of game development, but coming off as a generalist 'can' sometimes hinder you from standing out from the crowd. (this is really picky, however I have had it come up before) It really depends on where you are applying and what type of artist they are looking for. It's usually a given that most environment artists are experienced in atleast some degree of level design and world building. Bottom line is, get some more work up there! :) A full on environment with good composition and lighting can work wonders in helping get you that definitive edge!

Good luck! (oh. and as always, post your WIPS here in the P&P forums for that extra level of critiques)