Home General Discussion

Stresses, should I just give up or keep on going?

Hello everyone,

I have been plucking away for a couple few years at computer graphics. I have a two year degree in computer animation, but feel like I should know much more than I do. Some people just seem to get it faster, and I have to fight myself to get better. I always have procrastinators fear with projects. I have to make myself do them, as I feel overwhelmed. Right now I am in a studio arts major New Media. I love a mix of technical and creative and this was supposed to be what this major offered. My last class was kinetic art and I had to teach myself about ir sensors arduino programming and soldering, hard but interesting. The New Media program I'm in has now changed and it is now cultural art and more studio, less technical. They now want a portfolio and the portfolio I have is not really very culturally motivated. I have character models that I made after writing a story for them, and nothing too abstract or cultural. I have a project that I did for my class and it has numerous models, dynamics, environment, animation, lighting, and my teacher has told the class, me in particular that if our project is not as arty as he wants that it can be phenomenal and still fail. I am so stressed. I wonder daily what the heck I am doing and if I have enough talent to make more that 8.50 an hour doing retail(yuck). I work, take five classes, maintain a deans list grade point and I am tired. My teacher has already mentioned that I might not be the right fit for a New Media Arts degree. Good lord should I just try to get my Comptia A+ and say the heck with it.
Everyone have a great day.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally hear you. I've been there before, but it can get better! :)

The trick to learn about school is that your GPA and your degree/certificate do not mean a damn thing to 99% of the game employers out here. No bullshit, this is coming from someone who has been in the industry for a long time.

We just do not care about them at all, grades and degrees tend to have very little bearing on your performance as an employed game development artist. All a degree shows is you can finish something you've started, but each portfolio piece shows this so much better and more succinctly than a degree does.

The chief thing we're looking for is the quality of your artwork. Does it stand up to the industry standard (or does it show the potential to become so)? Look at the Dominance War winners for example, and try to get your portfolio as close to that standard as you possibly can.

Some artists get into the industry without any degree whatsoever, and some get in with a degree, but the degree itself has no bearing on whether they were hired or not. Really. Schools may try to convince you otherwise, but they have a vested interest since they want more of your tuition dollars.

So... don't knock yourself too hard about whether your instructor is being a dick. Ultimately their feedback matters about as much as a flea, because some of the instructors out there have very little understanding of what the industry actually wants. Arty doesn't matter, quality and usability in a game does.

Keep going! I know it can be really daunting. Persistence will pay off!

What has worked for a lot of artists is to post their work on game artist forums like this one, get feedback, improve and keep posting their revisions. Keep looking at what others are doing, and check out the tutorials people point you to, learn and apply, rinse and repeat.

Some good reading that might help
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryGameIndustry

Keep going!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm going to advise you drop out, or transfer.

If you want to make Commercial Art, go to a Commercial Art School.

I went to a Fine Arts school and got my degree in Fine Arts - Drawing (It was the only degree granting program I could take in Canada where I could learn 3D at the time).

The only useful thing I got out of it, was a degree that let me work in the states (which wouldn't be a problem for you, seeing as you live in Texas).
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say at the very least stop trying to make dean's list grades. Focus on your art, not your humanities classes and just worry about passing.

The mentality i've had to get as close to breaking in as I think I am, is to not think of art and everything as a giant road that stretches for years on. I've always thought i'm 1 amazingly good project away from a job, that's it. I'm not years away, i just need to make something so mindblowingly awesome that that project will open doors to me. Attacking every art project you do as your stepping stone you'll invest more into it, and get more out of it while holding yourself to a higher standard to produce even better work. (i've had this mindset for years now, and for some people it only takes them months to get their first gig once they think, hey imma just make something bitchen and get a job)

Don't spread yourself thin trying to peck away at getting better, to maintain a pefect GPA. On the contrary fail a class or two because you're so obsessed with your current project. No one's going to turn down your job applicatoin because you didn't finish Ethics, or because your animations aren't good enough while you focused on environments. Get stupid awesomely good at 1 thing and produce 1 single awesome piece for your portfolio. Then gear your resume to highlight that peice and what you've learn from it. That may not be what gets you in, but now you're on the right path and you have a great portfolio piece, which is what getting a job hinges on when you're just breaking in. Now work on a second super awesome project to make your portfolio even stronger, again this project will be so awesome it gets you the job.

Your worth to employers isn't your degree, or your breadth of knowledge, it's that super awesome thing you made that screams "hire me!", and the skills that were required to make that 1 thing that you discussed in your resume.

I highly suggest you get involved in the various competitions going on right now, there are still weeks left in the dominance war pre game, and the dominance war following that covering character art 3d and 2d, as well as animations. There's also the eat 3d competition going on.

Good luck, and i know the stress you're going through all to well. I've always thought though that regardless of your innate talent, if you stick with it long enough, and work hard enough, and you're not terrible, at some point something's gotta break. But that's just my belief, not everyone on the inside is super awesome, but there sure is a lot of competition these days.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The particular assignment where you have to make a portfolio which is culturally motivated has me a bit puzzled.

One side has me thinking that this is just a typical case of a professor who's looking for work that's good looking, but isn't exactly technically impressive. He may not appreciate all the work that goes into a complicated project, and the fact that everything is done correctly. He could very well just be on the hunt for work that makes an artistic statement rather than having real substance and professional content behind it.

The other side has me thinking that you might be sticking to really clean and technical styles of artwork, but are ultimately rather generic. You do this kind of work because trying new things may be a bit out of your comfort zone.

I don't mean to troll you with that suggestion, but sometimes you can really gain a lot by approaching projects you're not comfortable with. I also find that in those circumstances, that failure is an option because you learn from your mistakes. In this case, it could simply be your professors intention to get you into trying new things and expanding the types of work you can approach. I don't exactly know all of the details, so you'll just have to make that judgment yourself.

The others are quite correct that grades, and school aren't everything. It bucks the trend of what everyone else has told you all your life, but in times like these, your work ethic and talent are what matter most. If you're in this program, I'd just take all you can from it and get that degree. The best it's going to do you is at least tell your employer that you can finish what you start, but not much else. You can think about school, but you should really follow the advice of some of the others and evaluate the quality of your work against some of the best stuff you see out there right now.

You have to understand that school rarely gets you into a position where you're production ready, so you have to be dedicated enough to teach yourself everything else you need to know to land that job. I've seen people come out of these programs and they have no problem finding work. But these guys were all extremely talented and dedicated to going above and beyond learning what their program was teaching them.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Don't let yourself get too overwhelmed, it's easier said than done but you have no idea how important it is to not get sucked dry by projects and general work while still in school, you might end up hating it and yourself for a long LONG time. Follow what everyone in here has said, especially crazyfingers with focusing on the ART part of your entire education.
    Good luck.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    New media is always BS. Thats why the credited art school here got rid of it (ACAD). I had 3 friends that went through the program, and left without much 3D experience. I learned a ton more attending a 3D specific school (VFS 1 year program) than the 4 years they went through.

So you might hafta ask yourself. Is your school providing what you need for your choosen field?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand the frustration. Half of the time I was at school I wanted to leave because I felt like I wasn't learning what I needed to. Its tough.

I just scraped by enough to graduate and focused all my effort into learning stuff myself.

Sounds like your school sucks big ones though.
  • Hutena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone that responded you are great. It isn't the program that I really want to be in so I am just making the best of it. I have to pay outright for each class and make almost nothing at work money-wise to do it. The school is right by my house and when i first signed up they taught how to make interactive games with sensors and such so it sounded kind of cool. Now it is gallery art. I have been trying my darndest to get scholarships( that is why I am trying to get great grades). The scholarship thing isn't working. I don't get student loans or pell because I went to a community college for too long and I have been looking for a decent job for years now to no avail. I just found out I need surgery and that is one reason I am seriously struggling. After the surgery I should feel 100 percent better. Life is rough. I am rendering out my project for that experimental 3d class and there is so much more that I could have done on it, but I created the models so it was time consuming, while most of the class didn't model anything(we don't have too). It is supposed to be artsy. Working Black Friday today, hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.
  • Hutena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and my teacher does not like the commercial industry. He is constantly talking about how easy this stuff is and how it is just blingy He is not a fan of Siggraph either. I don't find it easy. He thinks that texturing can just be thrown on your model after camera work. I think texturing comes before cameras, but that is just my opinion.I wish I was good enough to just throw this stuff together. I'm trying.
    Anything technical is just a technical exercise to him.not a project and he said that he will fail those students that fall in that category.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6

Do what you love Hutena! Its never too late !!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    This reminds me of my early college days. The school I started at didn't (and to my knowledge a decade or so later, STILL don't) have a proper track for commercial 3d art. They believed that all students should aspire to make work for museums instead of "low" commercial art.

I ended up transferring schools, but your circumstances may be different. My advice would be to take a look at your work and see what you really need to address in order to end up where you want to be. Instead of dropping out or transferring this might simply involve reprioritizing your efforts.

I always think a college degree, although not important for finding work in movies/games, can still be useful to have (working overseas, government jobs, teaching, etc.). Depending on how deep you are in the program, it might be worth it to just finish school knowing that you're going to have to put in some time afterwards getting a proper portfolio together on your own. It takes some people years before they "make it" so don't stress yourself out thinking that you have to solve all these issues before graduating. Give them artsy if they really want it, and try to learn what you can from it, but don't expect it to be part of your portfolio.

I don't know about your professor, but I've found that sometimes you have to keep an open mind; keep what you find useful and stick to your guns on what you consider better practices. Texturing can come at almost any time in production because it's independent of cameras. Especially if you're working with other people you may find it necessary to hand off the model to someone else to start rigging and animating and camera work while you work on textures. In some situations you can even project textures in post after the scene has been rendered. Whatever gets the job done most efficiently and effectively is the right solution.

Of course, this is all assuming you really, REALLY want to work in commercial art. If you find yourself having strong doubts about it then that's a whole other situation. :\
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    is it bad every time I look at this thread title I think its suicidal?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's definitely a serious plea, at least that's how I saw it. Sounds like the OP has a clear enough head to avoid that though.

You just have to get the hell out of that school in my opinion. Your teacher really has no clue, and sounds like an egotistical jerk with a negative attitude. I wouldn't pay them another cent. He doesn't even sound that good at teaching fine art either.

Really the best thing you can do is make a clean break, just stop going.

I got an F in a college course (an opera appreciation elective) because I realized in the middle of it that it just wasn't for me, so I stopped spending any more time on it, didn't attend another class. Teacher failed me, and rightly so. But it was absolutely the best thing for me to do, I really hated it with a passion. I spent the time learning anatomy instead, which I loved.

Best of luck with it! Let us know how it goes...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I HATED learning when it was forced on me. Some subjects where interesting and almost worth all the other junk that was forced on me.

The second I was able to take my education into my own hands and learn what I wanted when I wanted at the pace I wanted, I loved it.
  • Hutena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I'm not suicidal just stressed out and feeling really blase. I don't dislike school I just happen to really dislike my minimum wage job selling stuff to people that have too much anyway. Capitalism is great, retail is great if you like it, I just don't like it but I am supposedly good at it. You would think that working in a job I don't like would motivate me to get better at animation and modeling, and it does. I also feel like going to sleep and blocking out the world sometimes. I am lucky I have a job. My response is depressing me and I feel like a downer. I hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend. I am having weird problems w/ Maya lately and my cameras. Re-animating and re-rendering have solved that glitch. There is sooooo much I have to do for my classes and I feel so undisciplined today. I have the second part of my animation to do today. It is a swirling fiery tornado-like abyss that sucks up a junkyard. I really wanted to try to use cloth on my objects to simulate their deformation and demise, but I didn't get that far and since the project is due Tuesday this is probably not the time to experiment on it.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hutena,

It looks like your school is actually hindering your progress instead of propelling it.

Everyone is right. I have never been to a traditional school for game development. Learned everything I know through self study, and have now gotten good enough to get freelance jobs which could turn into fulltime opportunities soon enough.
  • Teisei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teisei polycounter lvl 13
    One thing worth noting here, and it is a little cliche, is that school can lead to some excellent contacts that, in turn, can lead to a job.

That's really how I ended up where I'm at. It wasn't the degree, it wasn't the grades and it wasn't even the core work. It was working with people, friends, that appreciated my work and felt confident in recommending me for a job.

Sure enough, I have more debt that I care to but I don't think I would have made it into the industry as easily without the contacts I made while in school. Just a thought.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    This thread helped me out alot, was (and still am) considering going back to school.
    The quality of the schools over here in the Netherlands, for 3d and the like, is pretty bad.

I was in school "studying" multimedia design, which had some 3d in it, mostly video though.
    After dropping out, I took one CGWorkshops class at CGSociety, the game design one with Jonathan Rush, which basically taught me more about the stuff I wanted to learn, which is 3d, game design etc., then the 2 years I spent in school.

So I am mostly self-taught but need to invest more time in learning more, might take another CGWorkshop.

Now the question on my mind is, should I continue to work, I currently work in the local grocery store which pays above reasonably (not the best job but still), while working on a portfolio, entering contests etc. and then try to apply for a job in the indusrty when I feel like my portfolio is up there.

Or should I go back to school pay a couple thousand euro's a year for 4 years, and try to build a portfolio during those years.

Decisions, decisions, quite stressfull,have kept me up at night wondering about if I was ever going to make it etc.

Would love to hear some advice.

Sorry to hijack your thread Hutena :)
  • fusedbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedbrain polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Hutena,

Stress like this is normal. I've been doing 3D for VFX and games for over 18 years and still feel stressed at different times. I've also been teaching 3D for the last 5 years and I've seen a lot of students stress out. Here are my two cents for what it's worth. Try and figure out what gets you excited about 3D. Is it building cool models? Technical problem solving? Making a character move? Sometimes when you're learning it seems like your drinking from a fire hose. Too much information is coming at you too fast and you need time process what you've learned and practice what you've been taught. Realize we all suck when we started doing this stuff. Practice, hard work and passion is what is going to get through. Eric makes a lot of valid points especially about looking at whats going on with other artists work. I'm also a little bothered by the fact that your teacher is dismissive of the work produced in the so called commercial industry. Anyway hang in there and work hard and try and have some fun! :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    this is about marketing, but really good advice anyway if you apply it to other things:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4vp1LVyq8k&feature=related[/ame]
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster thats a great video. very very true.

i love how the german guys name is like 50 characters long but he pronounces it in less than a second