Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chaos Predator (WIP) High poly-to game model

Now off to the edge loop delete to get to my game model...the HP is at 300k not smoothed.

In game model how many tri's would you all recommend?

10,000 or 15,000.

Please not, this is NOT to Dawn of War specifications/tailored.

I am intending this to be more like the upcoming Space Marine game set to release sometime next year.

It is a third person action game set in the Warhammer 40,000 Universe(which I am a huge fan of I used to play the TT game but now this is my new hobby and life...Game art.. ;) So I am looking forward to that game, plus I love Relic's games. (Dawn of War 2, Company of Heroes)

C+C welcome but I am pretty much ready to go tomorrow for the game version+ unwrap then texture... :)

Thanks everyone!

(PS I am including the model, actual TT model I have(I play Black Legion..don't play anymore but I used my tank model for good reference plus dawn of war 2 chaos rising in game shots.. other images are screen captures gotten in game from Relic's Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising.)

ChaosPredatorHIGH_AOrender03.jpgChaosPredatorHIGH_AOrender02.jpgChaosPredatorHIGH_AOrender.jpgChaosPredator_MayaViewport.jpg

Chaos_Predator_side.jpg

Chaos_Predator_front.jpg

DawnofWarChaosRising_ChaosPredator1.jpg

DawnofWarChaosRising_ChaosPredator2.jpg

DawnofWarChaosRising_ChaosPredator4.jpg

Replies

• CNecron518a
    Chaos Space Marines Predator with twin linked Lascannon turret, side sponson lascannons and Havoc launchers.

Model&texture by Chris Edwards.

2048x2048 D,N,S. 25k triangles. Black Legion paint scheme.

Chaos_Predator_ChrisUDK-1.jpg
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 14
    First note: If this would be for an RTS 25k tri's would not be acceptable (and even in some 3rd or 1st person games if it wouldn't be viewed up close).

Another, the spikes in the front just don't work, the texturing on them seems to show bad unwrapping, and the texture in general looks at best 512x512 and doubful if even that, its very blurry and has no definition. It is uniformly rubbed on the dges and anything not on a corner is the same color, with a slight lighter color on the edges, there isn't anything there but black. As I said before the texture has no definition and the normal map could be used to bring out smaller details if they were added to the high poly(lots of empty spots on the high poly that have nothing that adds to visual appearance).
  • CNecron518a
    JonConley wrote: »
    First note: If this would be for an RTS 25k tri's would not be acceptable (and even in some 3rd or 1st person games if it wouldn't be viewed up close).

Another, the spikes in the front just don't work, the texturing on them seems to show bad unwrapping, and the texture in general looks at best 512x512 and doubful if even that, its very blurry and has no definition. It is uniformly rubbed on the dges and anything not on a corner is the same color, with a slight lighter color on the edges, there isn't anything there but black. As I said before the texture has no definition and the normal map could be used to bring out smaller details if they were added to the high poly(lots of empty spots on the high poly that have nothing that adds to visual appearance).

Yeah, I think I can crunch it down some more, but did you bother to read my initial post(Does anyone do this anymore..?) I stated this would be more for a 1st/3rd person shooter.

Also, I probably could have taken better pictures up close that would perhaps illustrate the details more. Please reference the model I chose as well, that may help your analysis some more. Those large empty spaces are part of the hull, the only other examples would be the tiny bolts and other venting and such.
  • CNecron518a
    Went down to 1024x1024, fixed some mapping issues and also reduced tri count to 22,335. Lit in UDK with a "demon world" sphere.

Edit: I probably could fine tune my texture a bit more to bring out the highlights in the black paint of the tank. Also, some more evident scratches I think would be better. There is something about the gold that is bothering me, I think it is way too saturated so I could bring this down and do some more with the color map.

ChaosPredatorUDK02-1.jpg

ChaosPredatorUDK03-1.jpg

ChaosPredatorUDK04-1.jpg

ChaosPredatorUDKtri-1.jpg
  • vofff
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Your textures are way too basic and dark to see the details of the mesh. And your scene is too dark too.
    You can check out my classmates WH tank
    http://www.jacob3d.com/baneblade.html
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    i agree with vofff, the tanks wayyy too dark..the modellin came out nice though ^^
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Can't see a thing. Remember, very rarely is anything truly black. Don't paint the tank pure black, use a very very dark, purplish grey or something.
  • CNecron518a
  • CNecron518a
    Hey I also just wanted to thank you all for the awesome feedback! I appreciate it. Thanks. :):):)

Keep it coming if you got some more stuff.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I gotta agree with fearian- your texture uses a lot of just plain white and black. no where in the world do you see just plain white or black. Everything has some sort of saturation too it- try to think in terms of warm and cool when trying to paint textures.

Ask yourself: "is this a warm black, or a cool black? and how does that work with warm or cool highlights?"

Also you should get some rust in there-
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 14
    Even at 25k triangles for a focal piece in a game, you have very little detail for what the tri count is, and on the reference images it isn't just a solid color in those empty places. The refs also has gold trim and vents around it, adding a little more to the overall appearance. At 25k triangles:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=936864&postcount=242
    yes it isn't a vehicle but it is mechanical and that 10k tri model has more detail than your 25k model. That model also has a lot more need for smaller triangles (which means more triangles overall for shape).

The heads on the barrels are completely flat on the side, I'd really like to see a wireframe and where you are using 25k tris.
  • Burrill
    Your texture looks like someone took sandpaper to the corners. Your wear and tear needs to be more sharp. Since you're obviously making a Warhammer tank, think about the things that come into contact with it.

There's going to be a lot of metal type things hitting it, so you might want your texture to have more scratches than a sand blasted look.

Also, more things will hit or brush up against the tank near it's midsection. That means there will be more paint damage near the mid section compared to the top.

The treads and bottom section look so clean! I guess it depends on the environment (like a desert or a wetlands) but the bottom part of the tank might have to be dirtied up.

Lastly, your specular map is going to be very important since you're dealing with metal. I'd look at a few tutorials dealing with metal texture creation (I'm looking into that as well).
  • CNecron518a
    I got the Chaos Predator down to 20,000 tri's, with 1024x1024 D,N,S.

Added some dirt and grime, and spec slashes along the hull.

chaospredatorudk01.jpgchaospredatorudk03.jpgchaospredatorudk04.jpgchaospredatordns.jpgChaosPredator_wire02.jpgChaosPredator_wire.jpg
  • camza
    Your triangle count still seems to high for your model. Looking at just the wireframe I wouldn't expect the tri count to exceed 10k. Check that you:

• Have deleted any hidden faces that will never be seen.
    • Don't have any unused geometry that you've since hid and might have forgotten about that is contributing to your total tri count.
    • Accidently duplicated any geometry.
    Other than that I'm not sure. I'm sure some more experienced polycounters can give you some more solid advice.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Your model is 20k tris and 1024 maps but it looks more like a 500ish tri model with a 256 texture. You are not getting your moneys worth. Compare your tank to the ingame version from DoW2 your budget is much much higher yet that version has much sharper texture and also looks smoother. LOADS of your triangles does absolutely nothing, just a bunch of edges on a completely flat surface. Your texture right now looks more like random blobs of the 0% hardness brush in photoshop and looks very blurry and unrealistic.
  • CNecron518a
    camza wrote: »
    Your triangle count still seems to high for your model. Looking at just the wireframe I wouldn't expect the tri count to exceed 10k.

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. Thanks camza. I am going to crunch it down a hell of a lot more and then I'll post progress later. Thanks.
  • CNecron518a
    14,782 tri's.....aaaaaand that's a wrap. I basically cut it in half from the original(30k) I am content with this. Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. Next prop or vehicle I do, I will set the tri count to around 10-15k maximum for game quality as this seems to be what most people are saying for tanks and such.

ChaosPredator_nolights.jpgChaosPredator_wire-1.jpgChaosPredator_wire02-1.jpg
  • CNecron518a
  • Visceral
    You normal maps seems messed up at several places. I would suggest that you go for a bit higher res textures for this detailed model. Or work on your UV spacing, beacuse there really isnt that much of texture definition.

Otherwise, nice model.