Home General Discussion

Eat 3D Official Challenge #2 & #3 - Head Sculpting & NextGen Scene

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Riki polycounter lvl 9
111510_contest2-3.jpg

After the outstanding response we received for our first challenge, Eat3d are proud to announce our second and third challenges. That's right, we are having 2 contests at the same time!

Challenge #2 - Create a character head like the one created in the ZBrush 3.5 - A Comprehensive Introduction DVD

Challenge #3 - Create a small contained scene with different material types like in the Next-Gen Texturing Techniques DVD.

An amazing thing about this competition compared to our last one is the prizes. You can win a copy of ZBrush 4, a wacom intuos 4, and tons of Eat 3D Training videos. We are even offering EVERYONE who qualifies a free 1-month streaming Eat 3D DVD of choice!! All you have to do is participate in the competition and submit a qualifying entry to win a prize!

The Contests end on Janurary 2nd 2011. Read the full details, rules, and prize list here: http://eat3d.com/challenges

Special Thanks to Pixologic and Wacom for providing awesome prizes. :)

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Arrrghhh! If I enter this alongside dominance war, one of my university modules will suffer the consequences! Why do you tempt me so!
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    The official DW doesnt start until January right?
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Oh never mind, you must mean the mini challenges they have. Yeah that would be tough. Sculpting a head though could be pretty fast and everyone who finished wins a prize! :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Dom War (the main challenge) doesn't start until 20th Jan :)
    http://www.dominancewar.com/2010/en_delay.html
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Sounds awesome Riki. If work crunching isnt too bad I will defiantly try to enter this as it sounds pretty fun.

Couple of questions though. For the ground plane dose it have to pretty much just be a plane? Or if I were to do say stones could the stones have some slight depth to the sides of them so its not just a flat plane? Or is that considers a pedestal? Or if you could just describe what a pedestal would be as I dont really have a clue :P

Also what about shaders? Any limitations on them? Say I wanted to have some painted metal and wanted to have a few colors using the same texture can I use UDK to give myself multiple metal paint colors or would it have to be if I wanted multiple colors I would have to have multiple textures?

Finally what about things like Alphas and such? Can we stick those into the difuse or would that count as a seperate map on our texture sheet? ie one texture is just a black and white alpha? If we can have 32bit textures can we also do things like sticking hightmaps into the alpha of a normal and have RGB textures?

Thanks
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely entering the head sculpt comp, great stuff!

Big thanks Riki / MetalliAndy for putting this together, and for being very generous on the prizes!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    :poly136: Ah, I stand corrected! Actually I might try and use this competition to spur on some of my university work, By which I mean, do a scene for the competition I can use in my larger university project. Should be okay as long as I create from scratch, right?
  • Sean VanGorder
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Maybe I can get 2nd place this time. (last challenge i got third)
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Autocon wrote: »
    Couple of questions though. For the ground plane dose it have to pretty much just be a plane? Or if I were to do say stones could the stones have some slight depth to the sides of them so its not just a flat plane? Or is that considers a pedestal? Or if you could just describe what a pedestal would be as I dont really have a clue :P
    Just a flat plane if you want to add one. If you want to add rocks you can easily do that in your actual mesh and include it in your budget.
    Also what about shaders? Any limitations on them? Say I wanted to have some painted metal and wanted to have a few colors using the same texture can I use UDK to give myself multiple metal paint colors or would it have to be if I wanted multiple colors I would have to have multiple textures?
    No limits on shaders, just make sure to stick with the texture budget.
    Finally what about things like Alphas and such? Can we stick those into the difuse or would that count as a seperate map on our texture sheet? ie one texture is just a black and white alpha? If we can have 32bit textures can we also do things like sticking hightmaps into the alpha of a normal and have RGB textures?
    Each texture "set" can have a diffuse/spec/normal/alpha/emissive/reflection/height/etc.

I realize this is a bit confusing, sorry. Just try and keep everything in a logical "texture set". So 1 4096 set of diffuse/spec/normal/alpha/etc, or 4 2048, etc. I hope that helps!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for clearing all that up Riki :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa, love the 1 month free streaming tutorial for all who enter! I'll probably forward this to my academic director so the other kids in school can get in on this. Been meaning to brush up on my zbrushin' :D
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    This sounds fun.

:)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I'll probably join up for the head sculpting challenge. Thanks for supporting the community with these challenges Riki & Eat3D gang!

I have to say tho...giving away a copy of Zbrush and a wacom for a digital sculpting challenge is a bit funny. They are obviously valuable and fabulous prizes, its just strange considering those are 2 things you probably need to have in order to compete to begin with.

The free eat3D training has me interested tho!
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *thinking real hard* Got to come up with a good idea for my scene!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. I might have to try getting in on this. Actually haven't watched any of the Eat3d vids. Might have to do that soon.
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome stuff man thanks!
    I have one question about the head challenge.
    "Create a character head like the one created in the ZBrush 3.5 "

What do you mean by like? Does it have to be a human head or can it be something different like a demon head, just as long as we start from a cube?

Thanks
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Arkadius wrote: »

What do you mean by like? Does it have to be a human head or can it be something different like a demon head, just as long as we start from a cube?

Thanks

same question here
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Riki wrote: »
    Just a flat plane if you want to add one. If you want to add rocks you can easily do that in your actual mesh and include it in your budget.

No limits on shaders, just make sure to stick with the texture budget.

Each texture "set" can have a diffuse/spec/normal/alpha/emissive/reflection/height/etc.

I realize this is a bit confusing, sorry. Just try and keep everything in a logical "texture set". So 1 4096 set of diffuse/spec/normal/alpha/etc, or 4 2048, etc. I hope that helps!

What about heightmap based hardware tesselation? The Bitsquid Engine that I work with supports DX11 features like Hardware tesselation, so is that allowed?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    What about heightmap based hardware tesselation? The Bitsquid Engine that I work with supports DX11 features like Hardware tesselation, so is that allowed?

although I would love to see some sweet ass DX11 features like your last demo I would think it would be a tad unfair to everyone else who dosnt have acess to things like DX11. Sure not every engine supports all the same features, that is a given but something like hardware tesselation is such a big jump, seems it would be like if only 1 or 2 people getting to use normal maps while everyone else dosnt have access to them.

just my 2cents
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    That 1-month prize just for completing an entry is insane.

I'm telling everyone. :D
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    although I would love to see some sweet ass DX11 features like your last demo I would think it would be a tad unfair to everyone else who dosnt have acess to things like DX11. Sure not every engine supports all the same features, that is a given but something like hardware tesselation is such a big jump, seems it would be like if only 1 or 2 people getting to use normal maps while everyone else dosnt have access to them.

just my 2cents

I totally see your point :) But I had to ask ;)
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Neox wrote: »
    same question here

Thirding this.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8

Thanks

It looks like Riki gave the thumbs up on the 8th comment down in this thread over @ E3D forums.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Your entry must be painted (textured) inside the sculpting application using per-poly painting or generated UVs. You can use photoshop or any 2d painting program to assist in texturing.

So, I don't get that. You have to use in-app painting, but you can use Photoshop as well? Why can't it just all be done in Photoshop?
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    @Grimm Thanks man. This means I'm so in!

@Joshua I think it just means a majority of it has to be done with polypaint, but you can also use Zaplink.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,
    Sorry the late reply...i didnt get a notification email until 15 mins ago.

Thanks
    Neox wrote: »
    same question here

By "like" we meant similar too, in the fact thats its a head but It can be anything you want really...it doesn't have to be human for example.
    So, as long as its a head you can go nuts. :)
    PixelGoat wrote: »

Tessellation still renders geo in the engine so there would be little point as you wouldn't be allowed to go over 10k tris
    The 10k budget is for the final asset in the engine and includes stuff like particles and any rendered geo.
    So, I don't get that. You have to use in-app painting, but you can use Photoshop as well? Why can't it just all be done in Photoshop?

The texturing must be done using your sculpting tool as the main application but you can use an image editor to help you along (Zapplink)

Hope that helps :)