Home General Discussion

Entry Level Graphics Tablet

Hi guys,

Apologies in advanced if there is a topic for this. I did search but couldn't find any! Although I have been modelling for a couple of years now, I am still at a basic level. I am looking to get a graphics tablet to help with 3d modelling in max and zbrush etc. Can anyone recommend an affordable entry level graphics tablet?

I was Looking at spending a maximum of £60, so I was looking at the Wacom Bamboo:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bamboo-Pen-Graphics-Tablet/dp/B002Q4U4AE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289826275&sr=8-2[/ame]

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Replies

• easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    The bamboo would be fine, as would a second hand Graphire from Wacom. Don't touch any other brand though, I have used a Trust tablet and it was shockingly bad. I used a Graphire for years (pretty much the same as a bamboo) and it was great.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Wacom Bamboo's are great to start out with.
    I just bought myself a new one 2 weeks ago and i've been using it every day now almost forgetting i got a cintiq 12wx standing around somewhere :p.

I've always liked the bamboo tablets , i think they are the ideal size to work on and are great when it comes to portability.
    Maybe it's personal preference but i hate working on those A4 or A3 intuos tablets they are way too big imo.
  • Ewaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the prompt reply! Yea the impression I have gathered so far is that Wacom seems to be the most preferred. Couple of questions, the advantages of using a tablet for zbrush is pretty obvious, but how is it utilised in a modelling program like max? Camera control or?

Cheers!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Viewport canvas would be the main reason. Some people like that it's more ergonomic/less strenuous on the hand to use a stylus than a mouse to model.

I use the Bamboo by the way ever since I wore out my Intuos3. Very decent replacement. ;)
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Viewport canvas would be the main reason. Some people like that it's more ergonomic/less strenuous on the hand to use a stylus than a mouse to model.

I use the Bamboo by the way ever since I wore out my Intuos3. Very decent replacement. ;)

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm looking for a bit of info on this too.

Snowfly, that's interesting because I'm considering doing exactly the same thing.

My Intuos3 is about 3 1/2 years old of daily usage, and it's unfortunately started playing up a little. I really don't want to shell out for an Intuos4 for two reasons... 1 because I can't stand the new surface on them, I know I could cover it with something else but that's not the point, and 2 I don't want to spend £400 if I can get something adequate for less.

In transitioning from the I3, have you noticed any difference? I see the new Bamboo has 1024 pressure levels, the same as the I3 (the I4 has 2048 I believe)... so I'm guessing resolution is the only difference on the Bamboo?

Would be good to hear your thoughts since I'd love to grab a Bamboo if they're up to scratch in comparison to the I3, which has been absolutely incredible for me.
  • Ewaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creatiotwentytwo, I think it's disgusting you have just hijacked my thread. Who do you think you are.

Just kidding ;)

Thanks for the info guys. Im getting confused. Apparently there is two bamboos?

Whats the difference between

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bamboo-Pen-and-Touch/dp/B002Q4U4AY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289835499&sr=8-1[/ame]

and

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bamboo-Pen-Graphics-Tablet/dp/B002Q4U4AE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289835499&sr=8-2[/ame]

?

Also anyone know where the best UK price for these is?

Appreciate the info so far!
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    The first link "Bamboo Pen and Touch" has a multi-touch mode where, when enabled, you can use your fingers on the tablet, as opposed to just being able to use the pen.

I'm not really sure of the advantages of having multi-touch on your tablet unless you absolutely love touch interfaces and can't get enough.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, unless I'm missing something, the Bamboo is quite small, whereas the Bamboo 'Fun' comes in Medium (equivalent to Intuos3 A5 right?

They really need to clarify their line a little. What's the difference between the Bamboo Pen and Touch and the Bamboo Fun? Apart from one being silver and one being black?

Ewaf, I'd say Amazon is probably the cheapest place. I'd recommend buying from a recognised reseller in case you need to return it. Some companies aren't happy about taking returns on products bought from 3rd parties they don't endorse.

If you're a student, you may be able to get a discount at:

www.student-software.co.uk

Although if I remember correctly, the discounts on Wacom hardware is fairly minimal.
  • Ewaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a student yes.

http://www.studentsuperstore.com/bamboopen/default.aspx

That seems like the best price I have seen? Thats for just the pen right? No finger stuff?

Cheers
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but as I mentioned, the Bamboo (non 'fun range') only comes in small. Which is actually rather tiny. This may be a problem, especially if you're using anything bigger than a 15" monitor.

I use an Intuos3 A5 which I believe is now known as Medium in the Bamboo / I4 range, and it's just about adequate on a 23" display. I'd certainly have problems with anything smaller, little arm movements would mean massive stroke lengths, especially at the lower resolution of the Bamboo in comparison to the Intuos.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd certainly have problems with anything smaller, little arm movements would mean massive stroke lengths,

Lol.

EDIT : not that funny
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Dang it Twentytwo...
  • Ewaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol.

EDIT : not that funny

I found it bloody hilarious!

So more like this?
    http://www.studentsuperstore.com/bamboofunpenandtouch/default.aspx ? Medium size is pretty expensive...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those prices seem a bit inflated. I'm sure you could get it cheaper buying directly from Wacom.

http://eu.shop.wacom.eu/Bamboo

Not exactly sure what you're looking for, but they should have what you want there.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Those prices seem a bit inflated. I'm sure you could get it cheaper buying directly from Wacom.

http://eu.shop.wacom.eu/Bamboo

Not exactly sure what you're looking for, but they should have what you want there.

The Bamboo Fun M is €199 on the Wacom Store, and £134 in the Student Store.

With the wonderful (not) exchange rate on the Euro at the moment, it works out far more expensive on the Wacom site.

It is a fair bit more than the small, but I strongly recommend not getting the small. You'll regret it I think.

Also, think of it this way; I know you don't want to spend too much, but buying the £135 medium now and keeping it for a couple years at least, is better than buying the small, and then outgrowing it in a month or so and spending a further £135 on a Medium.

My Intuos3 has lasted fine through daily use for nearly 4 years!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah well that sucks, I wasn't sure of the conversion rates. When I bought my Intuos the Wacom site had pretty much the same price as Newegg and other sites I looked at. The only reason I bought from Newegg was because it had a rebate at the time.
  • Ewaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humm, I'll have to have a think. It's quite alot of money on something I have never used before.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    As far as modeling, having a wacom improves some people's work experience, but I would say it's more of an ergonomics thing in 3dsmax (obviously it's different for Zbrush). If you enjoy painting, then a wacom is definitely a smart investment.

It's not a lot of money for something that some of us use every single day, but is that going to be the case for you? Just speaking from my own experience, don't buy some gadget that you feel will motivate you to work more or something. I don't know what your current work is like, but if you still feel you're at a basic level after several years, invest that money into some good art books or classes. A wacom isn't going to improve your modeling ability, but a strong foundation in art definitely will :)

Again this isn't a rant at you, it's speaking from my own experience ;) Good luck!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ewaf wrote: »
    Humm, I'll have to have a think. It's quite alot of money on something I have never used before.

I agree, it's a fair bit of cash to drop on something you're unfamiliar with. Unfortunely, due to it being an industry standard, professional level product which is pretty much on the desk of every industry artist in the world, and with little to nothing in the way of competition, they can price it however the hell they want.

The good thing is though, once you've got one, it'll last you, see it as an investment. The upper range models tend to hold their value well too.

As to whether you need one, if you're serious about making this a career, you will need one.

I personally hate using it for modeling in Max, I only use it for sculpting / texturing, but since these are such massive parts of the workflow, it gets plenty of use.

It's highly unlikely (if not impossible) that you could produce work to a high standard by texturing / sculpting with a mouse. It has been done by a select few but it's most likely a painful, frustrating, and completely unnecessary art which those who have done it probably don't wish upon anyone.

Unless you plan to just model stuff and never texture it / sculpt it then you are going to have to get one at some point, makes sense to get a decent one eh?
  • redwake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was in a similar situation a year or two ago. I bought a bamboo fun (one of the ones with a mouse) and use it every day. I've never used the mouse though. I don't use a mouse at all, preferring my tablet for everything (including gaming). It's not ideal for FPS but I mostly play RTS and dota.

My tablet's A5 but I could make do with a smaller one. A comfortable size depends on whether you paint with your wrist or elbow.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a bit of info between the Bamboo Pen and the Pen+Touch:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76882
  • Ewaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dammit I just wrote a massive post and it didn't appear. Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am leaning towards the bamboo still due to my tight budget. Is the only downside to a small tablet more hand movement? I intend to use it for sculpting and texturing in mudbox (Mudbox is free to students, zbrush isn't). You can texture in mudbox like zbrush right? By painting them on? Or am I getting confused.

Cheers for the info their playdo.

Thanks again