Home Technical Talk

MS Word insert picture always too big!

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
What is the deal with word, all I want to do is import a .jpg file and have it show up in my document at the correct size. This has bothered me for years, I insert the image and it shows up at some random larger resolution and looks blurry. And on top of that it claims to be at a resolution of 100% so there is no quick way for me to figure out how big it even is to scale it down to the actual pixel size, and they don't even use pixel size, I don't really give a shit about how many centimeters image is I work in pixels. What a frustration anyone know how to make this program not suck?

Replies

• Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Right click on image, format picture, find the button "reset picture".
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Or try using Indesign instead.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yeah word is just a word processor, not a layout or design app. Maybe openoffice or now also known as openLibre behaves better.
    InDesign is a dream for stuff like that, planting images and have text flow nicely around the images or a design grid. All magazines and commercial prints are done with either InDesign or Quark and not word.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    same damn shit happens in outlook as well. its annoying as hell.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MetalMind, when the image is brought in it's already been reset, for some reason word thinks the default size should be larger than the image's actual dimensions.

This is just for documenting our pipeline and work flows at the office, I have to write a lot of documents for the art team so it's ideal to just use something agile like word since I'm constantly editing and revisiting don't really want to learn Indesign or Quark since this is all internal, doesn't have to look nice I just want it to look not the wrong size. So lame!
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Just out of curiosity I tried what MetalMind suggested but it didn't work the way I wanted it to.
    Like you said, it changed nothing ;)

When right clicking on image, format picture, "reset picture" :thumbdown:

But then I went to the "size" paragraph and clicked this "reset picture" button and tada it did what I expected :thumbup:

So to clear it up - hope the image works:
    http://www.appligent.com/adobeaccessibility/images/AdobeAccessChapter320.gif

Not under the "Picture" but under "Size" paragraph, that's what did the trick for me. Maybe that's what you're looking for ?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    could be a wrong PPI/DPI setting of word, maybe it treats pictures at a very low dpi setting causing the images to always scale to big by default. Professional print design apps usually treat images at a ratio of 300 dpi/ppi , could be that word treats them at 75 dpi which is usually screen ratio.
    I am not sure if somewhere in the word settings there is something to influence that.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Word sizes its images relative to the page size, using the DPI setting stored in the picture.

But most CG images are automatically set to 72 or 96 DPI, which makes them print pretty large (and blurry).

Best bet is to reset the images' DPI to 300 before loading them in Word. XnView can do this in a batch, so can Photoshop. XnView = Resize with Resample unchecked, Units = 300 pixels/inch.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen, I'm in word 2010, I right clicked the document, went to size and clicked reset. Nothing happened.