Home General Discussion

To all you Android users

Hey all,

I know there's been a few smartphone threads recently and I'm currently in need of a phone replacement.

My 3GS has just decided to stop registering touch input and after being an iPhone user from day one (yes I was one of those guys who queued for the first gen on release day) I think it might be time for a switch.

I'm still not 100% sure though.

Has anyone switched from an iOS device to Android? Was it a good decision?

I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy S which seems to have a comparable feature set to the iPhone 4, but will cost me quite a bit less.

I still like iOS as a platform in terms of usablity, but the Android platform is becoming more interesting to me and I'm beginning to agree with all the discussion on Apples 'close-mindedness' regarding locking down their OS. Android also seems to be moving forward with developments whereas iOS has really remained quite similar since 1.0.

How's the marketplace on Android? I notice some of the big name people like Gameloft offer a similar range of games on both platforms which is good, but what about utility style apps, budget trackers, currency convertors etc; are these kind of things on offer too?

Would be good to hear thoughts from Android users in regards to the OS rather than the hardware. The Samsung will be a hardware upgrade from my 3GS anyway, so I'm looking for opinions on the operating system rather than hardware.

Cheers

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    when it some to apps, aside from a few games, pretty much anything you can do on one platform, you can do on the other. For every app on iPhone there is an android app that fills the same function. Some slightly better, some slightly worse - but any differences are minimal and they are closing all the time. I chose the HTC desire of the iPhone 4 because I don't own any other apple products or even use itunes, whilst I use google services from docs to calendar every day. Plus you can usually get a better contract for a lower price on just about any provider with an android phone.

I'm sure some people will disagree, and I can't say to have owned an iPhone before, so I suppose I'm biased, but all I can tell you is I'm very happy with my Desire and I've never seen something on I wanted on my mates iPhone that I couldn't get on my own phone.

E: just thought, iPhone 4 has a better camera! HTC's are good but photos are sometimes disappointing.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Fearian.

Yeah it's the 'closing gap' that's kinda spurred my encouragement to drop iOS as a platform. When it first came out it was no contest for me, but with 2.2, Android really seems to be going somewhere. Also full Flash support out the box is a plus.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I'm up for recontract in a week or so, and I'm more than likely going to switch from my 3G to a Desire. Girlfriend got one recently, so I've managed to get a lot of hands-on time with it, and aside from a handful of niggles, I'm really liking it. Desire's camera may not be as fancy as the iPhone4's, but it's certainly a sight better than the absolutely shitty 3G's camera. :p
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I've never owned an iPhone before, but I've had experience with Blackberry products. Really no comparison there.

Been using Android for close to 2yrs though and I love it. The marketplace is great, the phones are excellent and the OS is really snappy.

Been using the new Tmobile G2 since it launched last month - the phone is amazing.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    to all android users; we should play some wordfeud!

my wordfeud username is Yozora, feel free to send me any challenges at any time :p I've been casually playing this game everyday for the past month (thanks to ErichWK)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    nice! been looking for a scrabble-type game on android :D
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Well, I've made the switch. Just picked up a Galaxy S... here's to an Android future (they always said it would happen :D)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you find yourself missing the old iOS feel, you can always have your Android mimic iOS.

http://www.gsmdome.com/mobile-software/turn-your-android-phone-into-an-iphone-video_5670
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Skanker, pretty sure samsung's stood customisations already mimics iOS out of the box. Not sure that's a great thing myself, having fallen in love with htc's touchsense. :p
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, I have no idea what Samsung's Android interface looks like.

I'm using an Evo flashed to the stock 2.2 interface.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I'm fearian on wordfued! challenge me any time! :P

Yozora, its on like donkey kong!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this didn't get off to a very good start!

Got my Galaxy S home.... Android 2.1 :S

Firmware Upgrade > '2.1 is the latest available' WTF!!!!

Apparently it exists for the Galaxy S but mine doesn't want to believe it... anyone had similar probs?
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure about the upgrades, but im picking up a galaxy S on monday :) so if theres no answer i could see when i have the phone myself if im having the same problems.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok turns out it was me being stupid and not the phone.

You need to download the PC>Phone interface software called 'Samsung Kies' and what I didn't realise is that the package you download is specific to phone model, so I'd obviously got the wrong one before.

I'm not sure if you'll need to do that Purplepaint because it seems Android updates are strangely carrier specific. I'd have thought it would be like Google release the OS, and all handsets get it, but unfortunately not. The carrier pushes the upgrade out, and sometimes a bit too slowly it seems.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Well this didn't get off to a very good start!

Got my Galaxy S home.... Android 2.1 :S

Firmware Upgrade > '2.1 is the latest available' WTF!!!!

Apparently it exists for the Galaxy S but mine doesn't want to believe it... anyone had similar probs?

Yeah it can be tricky, my HTC Wildfire doesn't want to do 2.2 yet, while my brother has had it for a month. If you're sure it's out there you can manually install it once you get the file, though that requires some freaky console like typing. Can't help you there but should be able to find out how.

edit; oh you got it already, nice.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Each carrier has their own apps that they include, and there are some that Google supports, but the carrier wants to charge for (ie; tethering). Also, each phone maker has it's own interface overlay that they like to use.

So, even though Google has released an update, it may take a bit for the carrier and/or the phone manufacturer to make the release correct for your phone. It did kind of suck, waiting for Froyo on my EVO, especially considering how popular the phone is. But, they did release it sooner than I was hearing, which was cool.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah all updated now, very pleased with it so far, I'm sure it's probably subconscious but I already feel I have 'more control over my phone' than I did with the iPhone.

Having probs downloading anything from the Marketplace though. I managed to grab a game I had on iPhone (Reckless Racing) but now I get 'Unable to download 'name of app' whenever I try. Tried Facebook, Twitter and Pulse News and none would download.

Seems like it's a common problem but unfortunately clearing the cache as suggested in many a forum post doesn't seem to work.

Anyone else had this?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have the phone plugged into your PC? That was something that screwed with me in the past. If the phone is connected as a drive, it disables access to the file storage, and items may not be able to install. Set it to 'charge only' if you need it connected.

I have seen it normally too, but can't remember what I did to resolve it.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Do you have the phone plugged into your PC? That was something that screwed with me in the past. If the phone is connected as a drive, it disables access to the file storage, and items may not be able to install. Set it to 'charge only' if you need it connected.

I have seen it normally too, but can't remember what I did to resolve it.

Cheers Notman.

I didn't have it plugged in, but I got it working.

It's obviously something to do with the way it stores your sync info and uses it across various apps.

I use the same gmail address to sync calendars, mail and contacts as well as for the marketplace account. Somewhere along the line it obviously got confused.

For anyone encountering this prob; disable all account syncing that you can, power off/on and switch sync back on... works.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Never had any of that. I think the most annoying thing I have is that it sometimes refuses to connect to 2G/3G. Needs to go into airplane mode and back to get it working.

Btw you should see how easy Android is to set up with a Microsoft Exchange account. Literally 1 minute and I got it working, never expected that.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh this should be fun for me to get used to... my first smart phone :) also since we have a little android crew going here, anyone got some must have or favorite apps?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh this should be fun for me to get used to... my first smart phone :) also since we have a little android crew going here, anyone got some must have or favorite apps?

yes, I like all my apps but if I had to narrow them down to 4 essential ones it would be swype, tasker, zeam launcher and wordfeud :p
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will have to check those out when i get it on monday:) (if everything goes well)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Get Angry Birds... it's free on Android (ad supported). I also like frozen bubble, for games
    - I use the App killer to help my battery life.
    - I also love the wifi file explorer. When you turn it on, it allows you to access your phone's files from any computer on the network (you have to be connected to your house wifi).
    - ShopSavvy is good for checking prices when at the store (to see if an item is cheaper elsewhere)
    - Google Goggles is cool, if it didn't come preinstalled.
    - Astro File Manager is a must have, if you download apks that the market doesn't carry.
    - Pocket-Blu is cool if you have a blu-ray player. Unfortunately, not too many blu-rays are supporting it yet.
    - Vlingo is cool if you plan to use the phone in your car (mounted). It does voice commands and reads income text messages.
    - Chrome to Phone is cool. It requires a plugin in Chrome or Firefox, but it allows you to transfer a site from your computer, to your phone's browser (good for sites that have apks, or videos you want on your phone).
    - Dolphin Browser is pretty cool too. Unfortunately, it doesn't support flash yet though (only the default browser does).

That should keep you busy for now... with an entertainment overload :D
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    For those of you that have a hard time getting up in the morning - try smart alarm. You pick what time you want to wake up and it starts tracking your motion half an hour before that and wakes you up when you are in a state that will most likely lead to you being refreshed at wake up.

It's pretty awesome.:)
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael wrote: »
    For those of you that have a hard time getting up in the morning - try smart alarm. You pick what time you want to wake up and it starts tracking your motion half an hour before that and wakes you up when you are in a state that will most likely lead to you being refreshed at wake up.

Damnit i just bought a alarm recently, due to my old backup phone (the one i use currently) being complete garbage. But oh well :) smart alarm sounds better :P

notman wrote: »
    - Get Angry Birds... it's free on Android (ad supported). I also like frozen bubble, for games
    - I use the App killer to help my battery life.
    - I also love the wifi file explorer. When you turn it on, it allows you to access your phone's files from any computer on the network (you have to be connected to your house wifi).
    - ShopSavvy is good for checking prices when at the store (to see if an item is cheaper elsewhere)
    - Google Goggles is cool, if it didn't come preinstalled.
    - Astro File Manager is a must have, if you download apks that the market doesn't carry.
    - Pocket-Blu is cool if you have a blu-ray player. Unfortunately, not too many blu-rays are supporting it yet.
    - Vlingo is cool if you plan to use the phone in your car (mounted). It does voice commands and reads income text messages.
    - Chrome to Phone is cool. It requires a plugin in Chrome or Firefox, but it allows you to transfer a site from your computer, to your phone's browser (good for sites that have apks, or videos you want on your phone).
    - Dolphin Browser is pretty cool too. Unfortunately, it doesn't support flash yet though (only the default browser does).

That should keep you busy for now... with an entertainment overload :D

and oh i will be having tons of fun :)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ES File explorer > Astro file manager.
    It has no ads and a cleaner UI.

Also I forgot to mention AppBrain as a "essential app" for keeping apps up to date and makes searching for apps easier + syncs with the website so you can find apps on your pc and install later on phone without searching.

You can also share your app lists, like this; http://www.appbrain.com/user/Yozora/apps-on-the-htc-desire
    Obviously I'd recommend every app on that list, otherwise they wouldn't be on the list :)
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Android is brilliant!

I have the HTC Legend mostly because its actually a decently sized phone (ie pocketable)

But the best thing about android so far are the CyanogenMods, basically brings better features to android!
    My htc legend can now do continous auto-focus whilst recording a video! Granted you have to void your warranty by jail-breaking/rooting the phone in order to get CyanogenMod working i think its a small price for having the bestest features.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    ES File explorer > Astro file manager.
    It has no ads and a cleaner UI.

I'll have to check that out. Astro worked for me, so I really didn't look much further. A file manager is definitely handy though, no matter which you choose ;)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    every android phone needs the barcode reader, its pure win!
    the app store sucks but android pit together with the reader is great

also an app installer is good, if you do stuff like working with unity, so you can install your packages
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok after a few days with Android, I can safely say I LOVE IT.

Coming from 3 years with iPhone I was slightly concerned I'd miss the solid OS I was used to but I'm already enjoying Android 2.2 and the Galaxy S more than any iPhone I've had.

My recommended apps are (aside from the ones already recommended):

RockPlayer - Plays pretty much any video format (including WMV) either downloaded from the browser on your phone, or transferred from your computer.

Reckless Racing - Awesome graphics, and incredibly fun top down Micro Machines style racer with crazy car physics.

SNES / PSX / GBA Emulators - Because playing Mario 1/2/3, Gran Turismo, FFVII, and Pokemon Ruby on the same device which I carry with me all the time is just awesome.

Neox' Model Viewer - Coming Soon ;p
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok after a few days with Android, I can safely say I LOVE IT.

Coming from 3 years with iPhone I was slightly concerned I'd miss the solid OS I was used to but I'm already enjoying Android 2.2 and the Galaxy S more than any iPhone I've had.

My recommended apps are (aside from the ones already recommended):

RockPlayer - Plays pretty much any video format (including WMV) either downloaded from the browser on your phone, or transferred from your computer.

Reckless Racing - Awesome graphics, and incredibly fun top down Micro Machines style racer with crazy car physics.

SNES / PSX / GBA Emulators - Because playing Mario 1/2/3, Gran Turismo, FFVII, and Pokemon Ruby on the same device which I carry with me all the time is just awesome.

Neox' Model Viewer - Coming Soon ;p

if i download those emulators onto my phone i will never get any 3d done... i miss ffVII way to much :)
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i got my Galaxy S Captivate today, pretty cool so far, however my service provider is failing and i wont have service until tonight and tomorrow morning.. I hope :(

Although just flying threw the web as fast as i could on my laptop is pretty cool :)

EDIT: Just dled "Psx4Droid" the lite version (free, just to try it out), its asking if i want to find ROMS with Rom buddy (which is a 5.00$ app.. is there another way to get roms onto my phone, im assuming connecting it to my pc then putting it on threw there, however if i do that does anyone know a good website to dl from

• Mypeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had an iphone for a year, always loved google and got a droid.

Imo android does everything you'd want in a phone. its brilliant. i had countless problems with iphone os. android seems to work how you'd expect an ideal os to work. just my two cents.
  • Mypeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    torrents purplepaint. probably look for torrents for your games.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

EDIT: Just dled "Psx4Droid" the lite version (free, just to try it out), its asking if i want to find ROMS with Rom buddy (which is a 5.00$ app.. is there another way to get roms onto my phone, im assuming connecting it to my pc then putting it on threw there, however if i do that does anyone know a good website to dl from

I've never used rom buddy so couldn't say for sure, but I'm guessing it's just a glorified Google search in app form pointed at known ROM sites.

http://www.emuparadise.org/roms/psx/

This site has a great selection. Remember it's illegal to DL games you don't own the original of. Also youll need the .bin bios file which you can find on Google.

After that, just transfer them to your phone from your computer.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael wrote: »

I didn't think that could actually work, but it does :poly121: Pretty sweet little app, works fine on HTC Desire 2.2 - but you need to enable few development options, like "screen doesn't sleep when connected to charger" as instructed by the developer.