Home General Discussion

Microsoft Kinect and Playstation Move, did anyone buy either one?

ngon master
Online / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
I haven't seen anything posts or topics about either of these 2 "motion control systems" just wanted to see what other polycounters thought of them.

I played with the move at a best buy, definitely "felt" better than a wii-mote, but didn't really have a chance to see how much better it worked in game.

I'm not really excited for Kinect, just seems like a webcam with some depth detection.

Replies

• jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    A friend of mine bought a move and the built in wii-sports-esque package handles pretty nicely.

The table tennis works well, you can actually put a spin on the ball and things that wii doesn't do very well. The frisbee golf is equally impressive.

The gladiatorial combat, however, being closest to what we might see in a "real" game, still feels wonky and would probably be more fun with an old fashioned controller. However, given some time, I think some AAA developers could make some good stuff if they gave it a shot.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    excitedly tried each at E3.

that's where the excitement stopped.
    still too much lag for what I'm interested in.. beh.

cool stuff though, for sure. can't wait to see iterations on the Kinect.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    didnt buy, but i tried a sort of racquetball game today. the lag was too noticeable and adversely affected the game.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    preordered my kinect a while ago, will get it and the your shape game from ubi on nov 10th (release date in france)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I just can't justify the prices for either of those... So damn expensive for a fancy controller. It should cost less than a game.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I tested Kinect for a week a couple months ago...

I am not sold on it. For basic navigation of menus it's awful. Imagine a wii mote with input lag (especially on the dashboard, not just the games I was testing). Actual body tracking it does a pretty good job of. It responds much faster than when you are moving the cursor. It is capable of tracking your entire skeleton, there's still an expected margin of jankyness though. It also seems like the games only track a few points on your body at a time, not the whole skeleton, so it's very easy to trick it and cheat a lot of the time; similar to sitting on your couch shaking the wiimote. You have to stand square to Kinect to read properly, which really kills immersion on anything where you want to stand sideways or change body position.

The space we used in testing was huge, and it seems like it will definitely require a lot of space to operate.

It does pretty well what it advertises, but I didn't find it fun or interesting and I don't think I will ever buy one.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    kinect is way to expensive for a minority report style way to get through the xbox 360 interface. not to mention i can do it faster with a controller.

also cant see kinect being great for gaming beyond the dance game or one where you just wave your arms around like a fool. without an actual controler and having that physical feedback just dosnt appeal to me. Also live in an apartment and dont have 6 feet infront of my TV so no kinect anyway.

Move is just and HD version of wii with better tracking. I like Sony's way about the Move better then Kinect where the Move can be use in addition to traditional games like the way KZ3 will use it instead of you HAVE to use this controller to play this game.

Both kinda underwhelming. Though the Kinect has the best future potential as everything the wii has done is esentally what the Move will do. I will prob pick up both after some good games start hitting and hopefully a price drop, so like 1.5 to 2 years.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Don't let your girlfriend/wife see any Kinectimals ads!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I played a little bit of Kinectimals today. I actually liked it. Pet the pretty kitty! :D
    I didn't notice too much of an input lag, and I can definitely see the potential, if it picks up. The price is a bit on the steep side, but not too far I think.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    I just can't justify the prices for either of those... So damn expensive for a fancy controller. It should cost less than a game.

^This^
    If it was the price of a regular controller, I'd consider it, but mainly for my kids. I really don't find this form of gaming appealing at all.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    As it stands I see no reason to own either of them.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i saw some kids playing with the move some tenis game, for them to serve they had to make right hit movements and rarely did do what they wanted lol.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only played kinectimals for a short while, but its actually really cool, quite a surreal and different experience.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-kinectimals/17-3463/

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-pod-kinectimals/707080

it's been getting good reviews too, lots of 8.5s and 7s.. I can recommend trying it out!

but im slightly biased as i worked on it for a few months, so don't listen to me.. or do.. or don't :poly129:
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm holding out a bit... waiting to see how the games are for these two...although Dance Central is looking like a way to up my whiteboy dance abilities a little bit.
  • Emperors Teeth
    I'm interested and would like to get Kinect for my Xbox...maybe get the missus involved in something other than Bejewelled! Unfortunately, my 1 bedroom flat and zero manoeuvring space conspire to prevent me from making this purchase.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I'm not buying either until there's at least a couple of games I'm actually interested in playing - once there are I might give it a try, though I really prefer classic controls.
    I think I'd rather go with move if i get one of them, but again; I'll probably go with whatever one ends up with more games that interest me.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Not yet, I might get move for my gf tho.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We got our Kinect units at work yesterday. Took it home and played Kinect Adventures.

I must say, it's more fun than I initially thought it was going to be. I actually feel less stupid playing Kinect than I did waggling a Wiimote. The waggling always felt superfluous.

If I was a kid, I'd love a Kinect.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    The Giantbomb guys did a pretty great job breaking Kinect yesterday. Turns out almost every game is improved 10 fold if you wave your arms in a windmill fashion and scream like an idiot.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    must get dance central!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I just played Move

and i can say it has potential to satisfy the hardcore gamer :)!
    the precision level is damn impressive :D
    especially if you try gladiator.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    [HP] wrote: »
    Not yet, I might get move for my gf tho.

I see what you did there

playstation_move_dildo_amazon.jpg

For some reason I hope that Kinect flops terribly.

Am I a cold hearted bastard for believing that kids should stay away from all this happy-go-lucky motion control bullshit? I mean, make them play Contra or Battletoads. Make them face bosses that transform themselves into 5 different forms and when you die while you're fighting them, you have to repeat it from the start. Make the poor sods suffer as much pain and frustration as I did when I was their age. Otherwise they will grow up to be no good gaming wimps who can't whip their way trough Dracula's Castle for shit.

Drop puppies, butterflies and all that sugar-coated crap. Make us crawl on the floor and perform triple somersaults while moving so fast that our eye sockets get filled with insects. Then I will accept motion control as something more than a gimmick.

Yeah
  • JacqueChoi
  • Asherr
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I just bought the Kenict and i gotta say im loving it!!! Dance Central is amazing :P
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Next Purchase = kinect. Thanks to that video
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a knock off of the wii. Except doesn't have any decent games.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    womball wrote: »
    Looks like a knock off of the wii. Except doesn't have any decent games.

Yeah exactly only without the use of a crappy controller and nunchuck device that will fly out of your hands and into whatever is in it's path.

While the launch games aren't the most impressive list I can say that the wii really doesn't have a TON of great games. A couple really good ones but nothing I would really consider great or amazing.

Also still these games are in HD where the wii is still using the same cables my NES used...
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I have come to the conclusion that only fat people dont like the kinect! due to the fact they have to stand up for a duration of time which would cause them to stop eating :P
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    skayne wrote: »
    Move and Kinect would probably just do the same. Kinect has the biggest problem of all, you can't really have complex games that involve movement. How would it sense movement? Some people's rooms are only so big, you can't just walk around your room and try to get it to match where you need to go on screen. You could walk in place... but that would get real old real fast.

A good example of this problem is the Star Wars Kinect game... all you can do is "dash" forwards. Atleast with Move you have inputs... Kinect is just a fancy PS Eye.

1. The motion controls are now based around the neck joint as the primary tracking point allowing users to sit down as well.

2. There are/will be games that you use the controller with kinect as well.

3. I really hope some fps developers use some head tracking tech for single screen playing with kinect.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw[/ame]
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    JacqueChoi Goddamn!

I bought a move and its meh, might get those time crysis (rail shooters) and KZ3. However my what im most excited is that Grand Turismo 5 (a game im really looking forward to) will be using the camera for Head Tracking. I will have to see how well that works because there isnt any footage showing it off but i heard you can lean and look closer at the displays in the car, look right left move your head forward and to the side. If that works it will justify the price of the Move for me right there.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Played kinect sports at work and it was pretty fun and worked quite well. There's some issues like not being able to move your character forward in boxing, and bowling not recognizing rotation of your forearm for spin, no finger recognition, etc. These aren't major issues, but definitely things I'd like to see.

I definitely think it'll be a great family/casual oriented control scheme, and I'll be curious to see if any core games really utilize it in an effective manner.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like a version of Kinetic for my PC so I can do keyboard shortcuts with hand gestures.
    Cut, slice your hand.
    Bridge, pinch your fingers.
    Someone get on that, so autodesk can get rid of this:
    but_keyboard_shortcut_override.gif

It could even be used like a signing to text for the deaf.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't purchased either one yet. I haven't gotten a Move yet because there don't seem to be any games available for it that are worth owning. The hardware is lacking any significant "must-have" title. With the Kinect, it is apparent that the "must-have" title is Dance Central. However, I'm not going to spend $150 on hardware just to play a single game. I didn't even spend that much on Rock Band, and at least that came with the game bundled in. I'll be waiting and seeing for the time being.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Good christ look at dat ass.

I saw the kinect in action twice the other day, I was impressed and found myself smiling watching people play. I reckon it's better than the Move, which is just a wiimote really. Now I'm waiting for some good games to come out for it! (Which I'm sure they will)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I got Playstation Move the day it came out, played with it for a day and never touched it again. In Japan we got some lame painting game bundled with the hardware. Still figuring out if it was a waste of $60 or not, but I imagine this hardware is not cheap to build if they want to avoid infringing the Wii patents.

Funny game released with the Move, that doesn't need the motion controller at all - yet can't be played without it. Had a bit of fun with this one as it brought back some classic memories of jetset radio and crazy taxi (yet turned out to be shallow at best):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9rzc2JmnAI[/ame]
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    OK I got mine today, I had it pre-ordered along with Your Shape, while Kinect adventures is meh, your shape is great, and the dance central demo got me really interested (I can't dance for shit). movement detection is better than I thought (well not on Kinect hub and Kinect adventures, but definitely is in dance central and your shape)
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I did alot of work on the kinetic but I myself have yet to buy one yet. I'll probably wait till I get paid a little extra one of these days and then I'll go pick it up. but right now I dont feel there any games I really want to get it for just yet
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    let me fix that for you! /rimshot
    womball wrote: »
    Looks like a knock off of the wii.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    It still baffles my mind into a loop why games like Penumbra and Amnesia don't have Move or Kinect knockoffs.
    Adventure games where I have to perform actual actions and hold items while I fit them together and shit? yes thanks. How about the kinect read my facial expressions to set the tone of dialogue?

Oh well, I guess neither of them can actually do any of that.. :(
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I hear the ps3 port of No More Heroes (coming sometime soon) has move support.
    That'd be cool if I didn't want to play the game with a normal controller instead.
    :D
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    skayne wrote: »
    A good example of this problem is the Star Wars Kinect game... all you can do is "dash" forwards. Atleast with Move you have inputs... Kinect is just a fancy PS Eye.

You'd be quite surprised how far off the mark you are on that. Probably not a good idea to base gameplay concerns from an E3 video that was barely an announcement...
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got kinect and I am pretty pleased how it navagates the menus...
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all i did was watch her ass!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They should just combine Kinect and Move and just give people mocap suits to play games in :P
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Vig wrote: »
    I'd like a version of Kinetic for my PC so I can do keyboard shortcuts with hand gestures.
    Cut, slice your hand.
    Bridge, pinch your fingers.
    Someone get on that, so autodesk can get rid of this:
    but_keyboard_shortcut_override.gif

It could even be used like a signing to text for the deaf.

That's what I would buy kinect. Unfortunately, minimum distance and hand gesture recognition is a big no no.

Used as media center remote it's ok, but for something more precise, you're still better of with keyboard and mouse.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Played some move today at a friends house. Sports champions was a blast. And playing the sword fighting game makes me cant wait for a God of War/Star Wars game with awesome sword play fighting.