Home General Discussion

Finally got my copy of The Force Unleashed 2!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
snow polycounter lvl 8
Hey all,

I've been dying to get my copy of the force unleashed 2 for ages, for some reason I bought it online (being slack) instead of buying it the day it came out and it's finally come!

Just curious as to people's thoughts of it in both gameplay and visuals. Me being the obvious aspiring 3d artist and HUGE star wars fan, I immediately fell in love with it. I'm only on the 3rd level, so no spoilers! I have heard however the game is dissapointingly short so I am taking my time with it to enjoy it.

Has anybody seen any of the 3d art for this game posted anywhere - I can't help but stop at every new area and examine it to pieces, I love the engine they used and everything looks great. Assets all like very high poly so it would be great to see them in detail from any of the artists and what kind of workflow they used.

For those somehow not aware of the game here's a link to some random gameplay: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPeokDqqfXs[/ame]

BASICALLY - Would love to hear your guys thoughts on it!

Thanks!

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If he was that powerful, why can't he just Dr. Manhattan all the bad guys? Or destroy that drop ship the same what he did that Tie?

manhattanmoloch2.jpg

I wanna get it, I am just asking :).
  • Fonzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The udders of the star wars franchise are skinnier than an anorexic
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Loved the first one, and was totally pumped for the second one until i heard about the layoff/restructure debacle (didn't realize they did the same thing in '08 with the first title). I'm in no rush to buy this one as a result.

Looks pretty sick, but seeing all that awesome and knowing that most of the people that created it are now at new locations or possibly still looking for jobs puts a bitter taste in my mouth.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Haha. It is a valid point and judging by many youtube comments/gamespot comments etc, people struggle with the idea of him being so powerful. Especially compared to previous star wars games and obviously the movies.

I think it has effected some of the true star wars fans, however, has attracted many gamers in general, judging by the fact the original was the fastest selling star wars game of all time. Personally I found the clone wars tv series a dud, they are always changing star wars to try and appeal to as many people as possible, and to keep it fresh. Same with the Old republic soon to be released, I don't get the stylized characters in that, they look half realistic cross old school third person n64 shooter proprtions - they can't help but play with the idea of star wars.

Edit: Ah Firebert can you explain what happened/link?
  • Firebert
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Oh ouch, so so much talent to let go... insane.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    It's ridiculous since it is basically identical to what they did after the first game.

In terms of the game, the story is no where near as compelling as the first. It's clear this sequel was about the $$$$$$$$$$
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    An uninspired game based on the biggest cashcow in recent history flops and they make a sequel that also flops, everyone gets fired.

Anyone know who pushes for these things? sequels to games that didnt get get the best reviews and didn't sell well? Is it really all up to producers?
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    I was very disappointed in this game. I'll leave it at that.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Havent gotten around to playing FU2 but from what a few friends said it was no where near the first one. The first game suffered from gameplay issues/level design which many said are now even worse in the second. The redeeming quality of the first game IMO was the story. I really enjoyed it and thought it all wrapped up nicely.

It seems that this game was only done because the first was such a surprise success. The whole oh your a clone maybe story seems extremely weak and just a way to get around the ending of the first one. And even that I hear takes a backseat to just Starkiller trying to find Juno.

I think it would have been better to try and explore a different character in the same "Force Unleashed" vein of another extremely powerful force wielding jedi instead of trying to shoehorn a sequal after the first game. Much like Kotor 2 was not a direct squeal to the original game but set in the same Old Republic squeal time frame.

Still will give this game a shot because I love Star Wars.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    havent had a chance to play, but watched my roommate for a bit. Looked fun! loved the vanishy guys!

need to get in and play it, i loved the first one. Love that you can equip sabers as powerups (didnt think that was int he first?)