Home General Discussion

What's Your Backup Regime?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
scrawld polycounter lvl 12
My brother recently shared this article with me and now I'm paranoid my hard drive is about to break at any moment. As it rightfully should mind, as my current system for backing up stuff is half-arsed at best.

At the moment I just backup all my important stuff to a 1TB Toshiba hard drive, and then the really important stuff I distribute across 2 older hard drives. I have to admit the latter step is done to rarely. The problem is the older drives are just to small and I fear are liable to break. One hard drive I removed from an old laptop, which I trust even less.

I've considered backing up old projects that I just need for safe keeping to DVD's. But when I have 70GBs worth of old projects (I have lots of rendered frames), burning them to 8GB discs just doesn't sound fun.

My next thought was to invest in a Bluray player that could burn BD as well. It would cost as much as investing 2 decent sized hard drives and might even be cheaper in the long run. That way I could burn old files to 25GB, or 50 GB disc's and then store them off sight. Short term backups can be done to my current hard drives. The downside to that is I can imagine burning 50GB of data disc is going to take a long time.

My 3rd option is just to simply invest in 1 (or 2 and replace my old drives) 500GB-1TB hard drive, use my current 1TB for backing up all data regularly. Use the new hard drive for backing up essential files like pictures, projects, both old and new. Again, I would do this regularly. Then, finally my 2 old drives for keeping my older important files off site in case of fire, flooding, plague of locust etc.

Which brings me onto my question, what's your backup regime?

I have no idea which option to trust! So, anyone who can share any experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated. particularly DVDs, as I've heard they're not liable to last. Not sure if that's true though. Then again, to me, hard drives have moving parts and I'm unsure how they respond to sitting dormant.

So any help is appreciated, cheers!

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I use a combination of DVD back ups every other month or so and dropbox.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    This is a bit of an issue for me at the moment. I tried doing offsite backup, but my ZBrush files are around 1GB in size, and it takes a while to upload things on a <1Mbit connection, not to mention the flatmates going apeshit because they get lag in CoD and DoW when the backup starts.

I'll be moving in December and will have 30 Mbit up and down, so that means I can finally use JungleDisk coupled with RackSpace, to backup affordably offsite. For now I use SyncBack to schedule a backup of my project folders to two separate external drives, and I always activate it when I leave my desk to take a break.

Still a bad solution in case of theft or a fire, but it should at least help if one of the drives breaks down..
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    I think DVDs should do the trick. They won't last forever, but I bet they'll last maybe 10-15 years at the very least if you treat them alright. Chances are you won't even need the stuff you're backing up in that time, and if you do, you could copy them, or put them on whatever magical storing device we'll have by then.

EDIT: I didn't read your entire post. 70 GB of old projects would probably be a bummer to burn to 7GB dvds, but personally I'd still go with the DVDs. You don't have to do it all in one day.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I look over my shoulder to confirm I'm not reversing into anything
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    400 gb external hard drive is fine! =]
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    i have a 500GB external, followed by a 1TB external :)
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback guys!

@ East - SyncBack is one that I have came across before, so I think I'll use that one. Backing up stuff over the internet is something I'm still unsure of, although maybe I'm just being overly paranoid lol dropbox for short term backups couldn't hurt I guess .

Backing up whilst I take a break is not a bad idea. I used to have it set to a scheduled time (using windows 7 built in function), but there was never a time when it was convenient. As jeffro mentioned, Thanks for the tips!

@ Faringo - Might give burning DVDs a go. At least for my old university files which hold most value. Guess it could save my ass in the long run!

@ Kevin - Hardy har har har :poly105::poly124:
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I personally don't recommend DVD/CDs for critical back ups. I've burned many discs over the years and keep them in a closet out of direct sunlight and all that other stuff, but when I had to dig some out again years later I found several that simply couldn't be read anymore. I've heard blu ray discs are much more resilient though because they use a different kind of coating so perhaps that's a good option if you have access to it.

If only solid state drives were cheaper...
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use the windows backup feature to backup my files every few days onto another HD strictly for Backup use, i also have an external drive that i manually copy all project files to whenever i finish work for the day.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    No one uses a RAID1? I've never used one but they seem like the ideal way to deal with backups.
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read up a little bit about RAIDs. My impression was they were a bit over kill for personal use.

Also, perhaps more importantly, I read RAIDs were tied to certain motherboards. If you chose a raid and then, later on, want to upgrade your motherboard/computer, you'll have to make sure you get one that is compliant with that RAID. Plus, I foresee upgrading a RAID system once it becomes out of date more expensive than just buying another hard drive or a set of discs (don't know how likely that is).

Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. I got most of my info here.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld wrote: »
    I read up a little bit about RAIDs. My impression was they were a bit over kill for personal use.

Also, perhaps more importantly, I read RAIDs were tied to certain motherboards. If you chose a raid and then, later on, want to upgrade your motherboard/computer, you'll have to make sure you get one that is compliant with that RAID. Plus, I foresee upgrading a RAID system once it becomes out of date more expensive than just buying another hard drive or a set of discs (don't know how likely that is).

Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. I got most of my info here.

I read up a bit about RAID when I was looking into backup solutions. Vig knows all about them and could probably give you plenty of info, but in all honesty I decided it was far more technical than my knowledge would permit. It seemed like I'd end up causing more trouble than it's worth if I'd gone with a RAID solution.

Personally, I'm not a fan of physical media backup. Partly because of the time it takes to create them, but mostly just because it's one more pile of stuff to clutter up my office/house. Since iTunes took over the world my house has seemed a lot tidier, and I don't want to reverse that with stacks of work backups.

I've got 3 HDD's in my PC. Two 500GB drives, one for OS / Software, one for documents / files. And then a 1TB drive for backup of both.

I run a Windows Backup about once a week for my OS/Software along with a restore image, and then manually backup my documents / files once every couple days. The whole process takes about an hour. I usually run Windows backup while I go to lunch and then do the document backup when I come back since it takes a mater of minutes.

I back all my documents / files to an external 500GB about once a week too, this is used solely for backup purposes and not carried around with me. I also generally keep a small, 8GB USB stick with the latest set of files for any project I might be working on at that moment in time which I'll update daily until the project is done. For example, I'll just copy over the Max project folder at the end of each day.

I'll also use DropBox to store files, but not so much for backup for two reasons. Firstly because I don't trust myself with the way it auto-updates and I know I would somehow end up backing up over files I didn't mean to, or deleting files in one location and then clearing them from all the others too. Also, despite being on a fairly decent downstream connection, my upload speed is always terrible and anything over about 50MB takes forever to upload.

I guess the only downside to my backup solution is that it's not automated. But whenever I'm hesitant to backup due to time constraints, I'll just remind myself how much it would suck if I lost all my work and then think of how much fun I wouldn't have reinstalling my OS and software... that usually gives me the kick in the backside I need to make a quick backup.

You could of course also look into automated network backups a la 'Apple Time Machine' (I'm sure there's many other non-Apple versions of this, I've just only read about Time Machine) where you backup your computer onto a networked HDD automatically.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    back ups are for sissies.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I have a 2TB external raid 5 enclosure connected through eSata. I have Acronis True Image create images of the C drive every night and overwrite after there are 3 of them. I also use have Microsoft Synctoy scheduled to create straight data backups of all my program settings and data files. Occasionally I've had to use an older image, so I was able to restore the old image and then overwrite all the program settings manually so that everything stayed current.

I've gone through a bunch of different backup setups, and pretty much every time I've actually had to recover a system there have been small issues that made me rethink it. This current system has gone through about 2 system crashes, and its handled them flawlessly. I've learned not to skimp on that stuff because its just not worth it. I've gotten to the point where if my hard drive fails I can swap in a new drive and restore the image created last night in less than an hour.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Referring to raid, raid on the desktop is a pain in the ass, when you need to do system recovery or reinstall the system it can be tricky to get the drives to show up in systems like boot discs.

I highly recommend external raid enclosures though, you buy a 2 disk enclosure and everything is contained within that enclosure. You don't have to set anything up and worry about doing a tricky recovery to a raid system. I've had a couple 2 drive raid 1 enclosures before I upgraded to the 5 drive raid 5 enclosure, and they worked pretty well. The enclosures did tend to wear out and require replacement after a couple years, but all data on both disks was fine in every case and just needed to be installed in a new enclosure.

Any backup system that requires manual backup is doomed to failure. If you have a backup system, it needs to be automated because you will always forget just when the system fails.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    back..up?
    I think my drawings are all on the internet, but..uhh.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I've been using a a combo of my FTP, gmail, 500gig ext, copies on 3 int HD's, and critical portfolio images on thumb drives as well as everything that was listed. No such thing as to many backups :D
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I look over my shoulder to confirm I'm not reversing into anything

Awesome, I do that too.
    (for my PC I save just some hardware drivers and stuff like that)
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    External hard drive, and back up online on Mobile Me.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    @ East - SyncBack is one that I have came across before, so I think I'll use that one. Backing up stuff over the internet is something I'm still unsure of, although maybe I'm just being overly paranoid lol dropbox for short term backups couldn't hurt I guess .
    Backing up online (or at least offsite, somewhere that isn't my home) is vital to me. I don't really consider myself fully backed up unless I do that. What if there's a fire? What if someone breaks into my home? You might not think people go for external hard drives, but thieves today know how valuable data can be. They might just get a kick out of sifting through private stuff, and have no idea knowing the drives are protected by 256-bit AES encryption (will they take the time to read a label on them? I don't know, I'm guessing they are in a hurry..).
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I only back up client work nightly. Things I do personally, not so much, only big projects. I am more concerned about loosing the ability to do my work than if the work was gone via theft or fire. Email is offsite. Applications like Adobe, Autodesk, Newtek are just a login away to their respective online account management systems. Bookmarks, and ref images go to dropbox. Photos go on another machine.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    a Raid 1TB SVN Server, the only problem is, its in the same house as my working machine so if anything goes on fire, well both are gone
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I'm glad I made this thread. It has yielded some great advice. Thanks guys!

@creationtwentytwo, That sounds like a good set up and I think its the kind of one I'll end up doing. Although perhaps just a 2 internal hard drive, and an external 1TB for portability. A restore Image is also something I have been putting off as I assumed it would take to long, but it would save a lot of problems. I'll take a look into it. Thanks for the tips!

As far as Drop Box goes, I have another concern to add. I've used it a few times and noticed that it can take while to upload files. But without anything to identify upload times or if files are being queued, I couldn't find a way to guarantee that a file has been fully uploaded without manually checking. That could be a pain for a large set files. Plus I have a lot of files that could do with backing up.

@ PredatorGSR, RAIDs Sound like they would be a solid choice if I had the money, as they'd probably solve my problems. Maybe a few years down the line it will be a worthy investment. The way I figure it, I would need at least a 2TB RAID to make a worth while (redundant) backups. At the moment though that's just out my price range :/. Thanks for the advice, you've also cleared up some of my misconceptions.

@ East, you make a convincing argument, now I'm even more paranoid :P. Although, in my eyes, making backups on-line still makes your files vulnerable in other threats as well.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Re the DropBox thing. Yeah it can indeed be slow at times.

There should be an icon on the folder/file you upload which looks like a little blue 'refreshing' icon while it's uploading which is then replaced with a green checkmark when it's done.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    @ East, you make a convincing argument, now I'm even more paranoid :P. Although, in my eyes, making backups on-line still makes your files vulnerable in other threats as well.
    Vulnerable in what way? You can always just encrypt it before you store it in the "cloud" if you are worried about anyone snooping :)

You can lose stuff online as well, but that's the beauty with on-site and off-site backup. You might lose one of them, but the chances of losing both at the same time is very slim!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Dropbox, iDisk & External 1TB raid

Dropbox and iDisk are sync'd on 3 machines.

Paranoid is best

Can't recommend iDisk really, but a paid Dropbox account is pure gold
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I dont backup often enough and even then I only have an external HD as my backup. So terrible, I did get into the dropbox habbit for a bit but then fell out, really need to do that again.