Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Miss Wiggle

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Miss Wiggle polycounter lvl 18
Hey everyone. I'm new to game design (working on a couple indie projects at the moment) and thought I'd start hanging around here. :) You guys inspire me, so why not join you.

Here are some sketches I've done on the side of game dev over the last semester. Most of them are quick (under 2 hours), but the last couple are worked more thoroughly. :)

I look forward to hanging around this place. :D

07-18-09.jpg

06-07-09.jpg

10-20-09_3.jpg

asdfadsfadsf.jpg

pk_dark_final.jpg

pk_light_final.jpg

10-04-09.jpg

11-24-09.jpg

grass_final_01_posteditb.jpg

jungle_plane_08.jpg

Replies

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Holy crap! When did you post this?!?
    Freaking epic of course, I wish I could paint environments as well as you. But you already know that; what brushes are you using for foliage? It looks fantastic!
    And that day/night thing is pretty epic. Was that for the PK contest?
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Totally have to second Makkon here, your environments are super nice.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Yo wiggles, since when are you on pc :O.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    Nice stuff!
    In this:
    http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/beckypennock/11-24-09.jpg
    The only thing that stands out and bothers me is her foot! Seems like maybe and easy fix? It would make the difference to me anyway. ;)
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz: I've been a lurker for awhile. Makkon suggested I become active here. It seems to make sense since I've been doing indie gaming for the last 8 months. :b

tok: I agree about her foot. Definitely something to fix. I'm planning on dressing that piece up. :D

I've been very busy with video game development stuff, but I have managed to draw a few things in the last little bit. They're all really quick...and a few of them really highlight my ineptitude with anatomy/poses I'm afraid. My tablet just busted so I'll be doing figure studies traditionally over the summer methinks.

01-22-10_wip.jpg

02-07-10.jpg

02-13-10.jpg

pimpthissketch2.jpg

monolith_portfolio_4.jpg

My tablet broke the other day and I wont be able to replace it until I have money which could be awhile.
    02-26-10.jpg
  • Tenshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tenshi polycounter lvl 13
    Lovely, the last one.
    Recently i bought a bamboo pen(don't like it XD). Ups, that doesn't make you feel better, but your draws are...awesome, i really love all the colors, you inspire me sir(?).
    pd: I used mouse til last week, so that's *counting* like 10 years.
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    Your environments look great, especially the grass and jungle one! How do you approach these kinds of environments?
  • Kashmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a fabulous grasp of perspective, could you direct me to any resources or pass along any pointers?
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I'm going to be cooking up youtube video tutorials on general approach (not how to's or anything like that) after the semester is over and I have some time during the summer. Right now I'm way busy with game design (which is exactly why i havent responded to this thread sooner, lol).
    Your environments look great, especially the grass and jungle one! How do you approach these kinds of environments?
    That's a broad open question, so I'll give a kind of broad answer: I take an idea and I work with small thumbnails to start off (it forces good composition without letting you get into detail work). After working that out, I run all over the internet grabbing references for what I have in mind (sky, clouds, mountains, grass, or whatever prop needs to be designed). I don't use these references like a photocopy machine; rather, I find many different pictures of the same thing, or similar things and stare at them until I start to work out a visual pattern that is common among all of them.

From there, I take my thumbnail sketch, make it large in photoshop and start to work out general lighting and color, rendering the picture from back to front, keeping things general and then working to specifics. Honestly, from here, I usually have 1 or 2 failed attempts at rendering what I want. It's almost predictable actually; after I get the crap out of my system, about the 3rd draft that's when things start to go my way. That's why i try and work fast, so that the mistakes I know I'll end up making don't slow me down significantly.

...now that i read all that, that might not be as general of an answer as i thought initially, lol.
    You have a fabulous grasp of perspective, could you direct me to any resources or pass along any pointers?

Know the basics, you can never really transcend them. Make sure you can confidently use one or 2 point perspective. Practice drawing something mechanical, like something you'd find in a mechanic's shop. I like that sort of thing; they're interesting to me. Find something that you like looking at and just start drawing it. :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Oh I love these environments! So great!
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone. Been busy with finals. Tablet still broken; i'll probably not have one until at least the end of summer.

30 minutes, mouse work, one layer one brush (with varying hardnesses).
    04-29-10.jpg

Teaching myself Illustrator; this is for an xbox live indie game I'm working on.
    Ch_Squirrel_Pinup_09_box2_temp3c.jpg
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those enviroments look great love the grassy balcony thing one
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Oh I love these environments! So great!

this.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    ;]

welcome aboard the pc boat
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Why don't you post more? Seriously!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, looks like there are several people I already know on here. :)

You guys like the grassy one? I was trying to lay down a good composition so I could push it into a finished piece. Tell me what you like/hate about any of these, particularly if there are any that you think should be 'finished.' I'm trying to beef my portfolio up a bit.
    Why don't you post more? Seriously!

Because I've been so busy working on that damn squirrel game, lol. Since the end of the semester (last friday), I have slept about 11 hours every night. I'm exhausted, but every happy to have some breathing room...even if i dont know what to do with it immediately, lol. I'll try and post here more, i promise. :) This summer is the perfect excuse to dive deeper into 3d anyway (and this place seems pretty geared toward that).
  • ericlash22
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    gorgeous stuff... really.
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take this you tablet lovers!! Who says you can't draw with a mouse....(too bad its not finished, lol; 60 minutes, about 3 layers, 2 brushes).

05-25-10.jpg
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 hours, mouse, reference = mirror. :)
    06-04-10.jpg
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really digging the recent works. Way to rock that mouse! :D
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still plugging in speedpaints whenever I can. All except one were done in photoshop in less than 1.5 hours (average time probably about 45 minutes). Still no tablet, so it's all mousework. :)

06-19-20_lines.jpg

06-28-10_1.jpg

06-28-10_7.jpg

06-28-10_4.jpg

06-28-10_5.jpg

06-29-10.jpg

06-18-10b.jpg

This one was done with a mouse in Sai.
    08-02-10_2.jpg

05-24-10.jpg

09-20-10.jpg

07-13-10b_1.jpg

07-13-10b_2.jpg

09-22-10.jpg

09-29-10.jpg

This last one was for the Concept Tag thread.
    ct_10-18-10_5.jpg
  • PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just recently got a tablet and must say it's great, It's scary (scary awesome?) to think what you could do with one, wish I wasn't broke I'd send you one just to see what you can do. The perspective on the day\night structure is insane. Keep up with the good stuff.
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy Halloween everyone. :)

(Zombie Self Portrait)
    10-30-2010.jpg
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Intresting choice of colors on your last piece - but don't be afraid to define facial muscle structure somewhat further, so that the image gets that little 'extra' :) Keep it up dude!
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I totally agree with you about that; muscles and icky puss...they would look much better than pumpkin-style holes carved in my cheek. :b

Experiment. It's not a big truck--it's a series of cubes! (er...squares). One hour.

11-14-10.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    interesting last piece, I really like it. good job on the halloween portrait as well! Cool colors.
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some of my pencil stuff from my anatomy class.

fs2010_013.jpg

fs2010_015.jpg

Gonna call this one "Where mah cheesepuffs at?"
    fs2010_016.jpg

This was my final. We were supposed to copy some other piece of art or photograph and make it all blocktastic. So I saw this picture and thought it was way too fun to pass up.
    http://misswiggle.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d2rdait
    fs2010_017.jpg

Wasn't happy, so I drew it twice. I like the labels I assigned each one at the bottom of the page. XD
    fs2010_019.jpg

fs2010_020.jpg

Hehe...I decided to pretend to be an artist and use something strange like a highlighter. :) I thought it was funny how the highlighter color disappeared when reduced to black and white.
    fs2010_021.jpg

OW OW OW ow ow...he wanted us to draw eyes. So, i found a mirror and drew my eye from an 'interesting' angle rather just looking straight at myself. Crosseyed. This thing hurt to draw.
    fs2010_022.jpg

I couldnt stare at myself anymore, so I took a break and drew this. I like it...it captures my stupid. :) There's no other way to put it.
    fs2010_023.jpg

Last one.
    fs2010_024.jpg

I'm excited...I'm going to be doing figure drawing this semester. :D I kind of haxxord my way into the class; hopefully they don't discover me as a non-major stow away and kick me out.

Oh yeah, heres a paintover I did. The original sketch is not mine...and I don't exactly have the artists' permission. I was going to tell her that she needed to apply lighting to make it interesting...then I got carried away @_@ (cube brush; used mouse)

Original (not mine): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/MysieBlondie/You-can-see-that-I-care.png

12-23-2010.jpg
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been awhile.

First attempt at a somewhat fleshed out character design. I made it into the finalists in the competition, but alas, was not picked. Good experience, though.

GIRL_Character_BeckyPennock.jpg

GIRL_Environment_BeckyPennock.jpg

The rest of these are less than 2 hours each (average of about 70 minutes, I'd guess)

DSCN1194.jpg

ld2011_024sml.jpg

01-08-11_3c.jpg

10min
    01-17-2011.jpg

02-01-2011.jpg

02-13-2011_2.jpg

05-01-2011.jpg

5min
    05-14-2011.jpg

05-22-2011.jpg

10min
    dickingaround_001_15m_jpg.jpg

1hour
    07-17-2011b.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    just passing by- great stuff you have going here. The mummy reference in one of those sketches made me chuckle..imhotep..imhotep- keep up the good work.
  • Scifix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scifix polycounter lvl 9
    Love, love, love your landscapes! Keep at it.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Your work looks solid man, you keep improving on almost all images - so just keep it up. Push yourself to make your characters and environments by studying other great artists, there's still much to learn. : ]
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pardon the dump, but I've been gone awhile. University has distracted me, but I'm back and ready to kick more ass around these parts of the internet. :) I know more about modeling now too, so that's cool.

Rather quick sculpt of a ratzilla thing. I like him. One of my first digital sculpts.
    tumblr_mb3cxwvQSq1qlo56to2_1280.png

tumblr_mb3cxwvQSq1qlo56to3_1280.png

Random speedpaint from my head. JUMP! :D
    tumblr_mbaqlaMohO1qlo56to1_1280.png

Blob dude. Because geothermal mud puddles need sentience.
    tumblr_mef03z1pKF1qlo56to1_1280.png

End of semester mind dump (speedpaint from my head)
    tumblr_me18hfeh1d1qlo56to1_1280.png

Sculpting Javik in plasticine because of reasons
    tumblr_matclmVxtd1qlo56to1_500.png

tumblr_matclmVxtd1qlo56to2_500.png

Outsource work for an indie game.
    tumblr_malq7yttfG1qlo56to1_500.png

Outsource work for an indie game.
    tumblr_ma3qdseaTr1qlo56to1_r1_1280.png

Redesigned a poster for my first published game (eee! :D)
    tumblr_m9ynqsXaV51qlo56to1_1280.png

Sculpting from a plane. Because of carbonite. And reasons.
    tumblr_m986iirQ7K1qlo56to1_1280.jpg

Self portrait speedpaint
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ttblfFFm1qlo56to1_1280.png

Environment speedpaint
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0dxxc61fW1qlo56to1_1280.png
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel free to rip any of my stuff apart. Critique helps me stretch myself and improve, so I really appreciate any I get.

The last one here is a game I'm working on called Magnetic By Nature that I'm art lead for. It's intended style is largely informed by art deco.

tumblr_mfv098RC2i1qlo56to1_1280.png

tumblr_mfxkv9eXVI1qlo56to1_1280.png

tumblr_mh9p7hSx3s1qlo56to1_1280.png

tumblr_mhzokaw9fw1qlo56to1_1280.png
  • Miss Wiggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I got totally sidetracked with college and a bunch of family BS and have been away for awhile. All my old art forum places are dead, but this one is still alive and kicking! :D

Looking to bounce game dev nerdiness off of people here and sketch a bit. I've been an art director for various things (games and graphic design studios) and I'm realizing I'm not spending as much time sketching for myself as I used to and that's a pretty bad thing. So here's to working on it. :D

I've had my games at a few cool places this year. Pax Prime, IndieCade, and it looks like I'll be showing at least one of my games at MagFest and Pax East as well. :D Wish I could go to IndieCade East, but I'm not exactly made of moneys...yet...mwahaha.

Whatever, enough babble. More art!

tumblr_mpnac6uDAC1qlo56to1_1280.png

tumblr_mz1mikO4nx1qlo56to1_1280.png

30m
    tumblr_mz9c20Oaam1qlo56to1_1280.png

30m
    tumblr_n0ya63XeJT1qlo56to1_1280.png

tumblr_n8ilsv5VpB1qlo56to1_1280.png

tumblr_naixxwMqxu1qlo56to1_1280.png

tumblr_nbm9cv6zPz1qlo56to1_1280.png

tumblr_ndk05d7ckA1qlo56to1_1280.png

30m