Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old country hut

I decided to add this as an environmental piece to my portfolio. Just want to have a still shot of an optimized game environment. So far I have blocked it out/ created mid poly. I plan on projecting the windows onto the frame (which is going to be fairly basic blocks with projected details to save polygons. For the fence I am not sure whether I should model individual low planks or just project what I have onto a plane with transparency. Tell me if you guys have any opinions on it so far, on workflow and composition. Thank you

blocking.jpg

hatka1.jpg

Replies

• snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    I'd have the fence as a plane with an alpha judging by how low poly your scene is at the moment. There's something not right about your windows, not sure, could be your details, and they are definitely smaller. Good luck and keep at it =].
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not 100% on if you are really going for making your hut as the ref. pic, but there are some scaling issues - the right section in front of the door is half of the width of the house and it looks like the roof is about 10cm off the top of the door.

Again, not sure if you want to follow the reference entirely, I suppose you don't really need to. It's a good block out so far.
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys! Yeah my scaling was a bit messed up at this point, thanks for pointing it out. Now it should be better, and I made the defuse for the house mesh, tell me what you guys think...

diffusehouse.jpg
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    At first glance:

- the base of the building is like a slab of rock in your image, but the ref is more like some planking sitting on joists

- you've got a bit of a texture seam on the left corner

- the window shutters are slightly different texture wise, but the mesh or something about the windows as a whole make them look like exact copies of eachother. Perhaps make them more varied? why are there shutters in the first place? maybe make the windows bigger (they're quite big in the ref)

- the shading around the window panes makes the windows themselves look a bit too heavy. Perhaps fade this out a bit. I like the cracked paint on the ref house's window frames. Yours look a bit too even as if they are uPVC windows and not made of wood.

- the base of the roof/guttering area is very straight and flat. In the ref, this whole section is curved, warped wood

- chimney looks quite different and is made of a different material. All the crap/patches on the ref roof make quite a difference, as does the moss and colour variation in the thatch itself

- personally not a fan of the door. It should be recessed into the wall more I think ( it kind of looks like its leaning against a blank wall) , and the style of it makes me think 'RPG like Oblivion' rather than something contemporary

Keep on it!
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot for the crits Nullfed, helped me so much! I wasn't trying to reproduce the building 100% as it is in the photo, but rather take elements that I like from it... The hut in the image is present day, so those quick fixes are using todays tools, and I wanted to make it seem like this was a couple of centuries ago... Regardless your critique made me reconsider a lot of my decisions... Here is an update on the diffuse, I will be moving on to specs and normals now...
    Scene stands at just a bit over 1000 Tris now

diffuseoctober24.jpg

I am starting to think about what would be the best way to present it, Max rendering or UDK... Normal maps in Max usually look pretty weak to me, but the quality of render is better... I'll be applying to game companies for work, so keeping that in mind what do u guys think is the best way to present it?
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    The best solution is UDK for getting into details, if u want to keep it simple u can use Marmoset.For applying to companies I suggest UDK.
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the texture sheets:

House:
    basehomediffuse.jpg

Assets:
    houseassetsdiffuse.jpg

Terrain:
    terraintexture.jpg
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

So I put my environment in UDK, and did the normal maps and spec maps, as well as some lighting. Please tell me what you think, I need an outsider perspective because I don't really see anything to change at the moment... Thank you.

october27udkshot.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Kinda weird that such a torn up building has bright and well nourished flowers around it....
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I was going for wild flowers in the front yard... and the owner trades sunflower seeds =P
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    3DVlad wrote: »
    Well I was going for wild flowers in the front yard... and the owner trades sunflower seeds =P

Is that in your "story" or is that of your own choice?
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the original house (the one I used for reference) is actually owned by a really old lady, that is why she can't take care of it, and when I was growing up in my home country old ladies always sold sunflower seeds, that's basically the story... But I guess that house would look nice in a spooky old forest... But I wasn't going for spooky, just an old country house...
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    of course now you could say "she chops wood?" Honestly it wasn't a conscious, I just thought sunflowers would look nice in the background...