Home General Discussion

Is Apple acquiring Sony and EA?

"In all seriousness, I laughed to myself when I read the title for this article when I came across it. Once I viewed the source, I quickly shut the hell up and started taking it seriously. Although this is just a rumour and more or less just analyst speculation; there's a good chance that the position of power in terms of the video game industry will drastically change if this shit goes down...."

Source:
http://www.dashhacks.com/articles/apple-acquire-sony-ea-get-f-outta-here

Um.... I don't know what this might mean. Apple knows how to run a business, that's for sure, but this (if true) will probably be a major upheaval for the games industry.

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Well the article's pretty vague and nothing really seems tangible but it is interesting to think about. Apple does have a ridiculously large amount of money and the capacity and hardware in place to bring gaming to the masses while bringing in some ridiculous dough. Yeah, a MAJOR buy from apple that throws gaming upside down is entirely possible any month now. Just don't think it would be this sudden but what do i know about this corporate takeover stuff :P
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    ..what? The only thing that will come of this is a console or a series of games that make Wii-mote games seem deep as hell.
    Back the fuck off Apple, games don't need to be dumbed down even more.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    ...Steve Jobs is the devil[period]

I agree with one of the last quotes in the original article though. They succeed on starting new ventures fairly regularly. If they bought Sony it'd most likely be for their film industry imo.

Jobs is to hard up about certain ideas, and if he does enter the console market it'll be the iGame console and it will only support its own iEngine which will only come in the iDevelop Kit and if you don't use them you don't get their licensing rights.

Now that I'm done being facetious, it'll suck if it happens because who knows what the hell sj would do. Oooo, Maybe he'll buy Activision. I'm sure mwf2's profit caught his attention.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Today's Headline: Big Company Has Money, Might Buy Something

Some big company has money. Lots of money. Analysts believe that this money may be spent at some point, likely to buy something. That 'something' is probably something that costs money and can be bought. Likely candidates include things which cost less than the amount of money that they have, which is everything. While big company has yet to confirm any definite 'plans', insiders speculate that big company may already have plans in place which may include buying things or may instead focus on not buying things.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    hahahahaaa!

No fun if Apple does buy, but acc has a point.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Not to make light of such a thing, but I think the executives at Sony would commit ceremonial suicide before letting a foreign company like Apple take over.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    that was the dumbest article I have ever semi read. the NYT was speculating on what 2 analysts said. in reality they are just throwing out names of company's they think apple could buy. not to mention they never mention Sony once.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    must be nice being an "analyst". you pretty much spend your day spreading unfounded rumors and people think youre important.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Didn't read the article... But I am all for apple buying EA. More games for mac is always a good thing ;)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I would welcome Apple as my new overlords if they bought EA. As long as I'm not made redundant. :)

Apple-EA-Bioware's Dragon Age 2
    Apple Madden 12
    OSSX Tricky
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Frump wrote: »
    I would welcome Apple as my new overlords if they bought EA. As long as I'm not made redundant. :)

Apple-EA-Bioware's Dragon Age 2
    Apple Madden 12
    OSSX Tricky

~ if they brought back the SSX series to its former glory I'd lay the fuck down and praise their grocery icons daily.

Everything after SS3 was so lame.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I heard they were planning to buy autodesk
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    I heard they were planning to buy autodesk

I wish, then maybe 3ds max will be for mac and I won't have to use a virtual machine to model any more:poly142:... Plus maybe the UI will become less cluttered, sort of like the good ol' days :thumbup:
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    VPrime wrote: »
    I wish, then maybe 3ds max will be for mac and I won't have to use a virtual machine to model any more:poly142:... Plus maybe the UI will become less cluttered, sort of like the good ol' days :thumbup:

If that happens man? The Majority of the PC users (who are also the 3d artists here) will either shoot theirselves or walk in to the nearest Bestbuy and have a crash course on how to use the Mac OSX.

It'll be a good news and a bad news together.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    If that happens man? The Majority of the PC users (who are also the 3d artists here) will either shoot theirselves or walk in to the nearest Bestbuy and have a crash course on how to use the Mac OSX.

But.. But I'll be happy! :poly136:

Seriously though, apple isn't completely stupid.. I am sure they would have a product that keeps 99% of the current user base happy ;)..... Then again, they do always make people buy random adapters to connect things to their computers :poly118:
  • Synthesizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
    Isn't there one of these every few months? I remember one about Apple supposedly going to buy Autodesk.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I heard google was going to buy apple.
    http://williamsager.com/2008/03/16/google-will-buy-apple-by-2001-part-2/
    http://mashable.com/2007/06/20/google-to-buy-apple/

I also heard microsoft was going to acquire adobe.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/07/microsoft_adobe_talks/

Also, red wine cures cancer and ground beef causes cancer. Unless you add spices to it, then it will reduce its cancer causing compounds!
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    the article is just speculation.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If Apple bought Autodesk a license of Max/Maya/XSI would probably cost $20000 and the install would probably force iTunes down your throat lol.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »

I'm not sure id shoot myself, id probably go on a rampage in a mac store with a chainsaw then hang myself.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q: You know what share holders like more than watching their company buy sh!t?

"So the last 10 years have been extremely great to us, what do you want us to do with this giant pile of cash?"
    "Cut us a check."

A: Hording money.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    In breaking news: I'm going to buy a pony.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Autocon on that one, not only did the content of that turd suck but so did the writing.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    acc, that made me smile
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    If Apple bought Autodesk a license of Max/Maya/XSI would probably cost $20000 and the install would probably force iTunes down your throat lol.

Well, Final Cut Pro is $200 more than Premiere but it's possible that Adobe is just dropping the price on premiere because it isn't doing well against FCP. OSX is a fraction of the cost of Windows.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Well, Final Cut Pro is $200 more than Premiere but it's possible that Adobe is just dropping the price on premiere because it isn't doing well against FCP. OSX is a fraction of the cost of Windows.

while this is true, the machine you need to run OSX will cost you 3 times as much to run windows. :) ( I have a mac and a I love it, I'm just sayin' )
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What does "fraction" mean, if I buy Snow Leopard full it's closer to $180. Windows 7 Professional is $259(well $140 if you get some hardware too).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    piippo wrote: »
    What does "fraction" mean, if I buy Snow Leopard full it's closer to $180. Windows 7 Professional is $259(well $140 if you get some hardware too).

my bad, maybe I looked at wrong numbers.

Anyways, remember when Autodesk doubled the price of Maya? lulz.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I think he was referring to fraction as in when it was first released, which is when it was approximately 10 dollars. Which was awesome.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Snow leopard is 29 dollars.
    OSX generally costs 129. Snow leopard only costs 29. I am guessing the next OSX (Lion) will cost 129 again.
    As for mac hardware, well that is disputable. Yes their products often costs more money, but you get certain things that you don't with regular computers. These things may ore may not be important to people.
    Design- You have to admit, most of their computers look pretty wicked.
    Quality- The build quality on my macbook is far better than any other laptop around. Plus the iMacs and mac pros are really solid as well!
    features- Each of their products have a "feature" which sets them apart. The macbook's, have the trackpad. Best trackpad EVER (imo) It is huge, and extremely accurate. I bought a 70 dollar mouse to use with my macbook.. Only used it once.
    The iMacs come with a wicked monitor. That is what drives up the cost. 27" IPS displays cost quite a bit ;)

The mac pros are about the same price as an equivalent dell and only cost around ~500 more than building your own machine (depending on which modle you choose). For this 500 you get great customer service, easy warranty (no need to figure out which part is broken to then contact warranty for that specific part... only then to wait a month for them to process your claim). And an awesome looking machine inside and out.
    design_expansion_hero20100727.png

So when yo say apple products cost more.. It all comes down to what you are willing to pay for. If it is hardware specs alone.. Then yeah they do cost more. But the overall package, well they are actually fairly priced.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Don't turn this into a mac is good/bad argument... if you do, you'll draw me in, and I'm trying to resist at the moment :P
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    Don't turn this into a mac is good/bad argument... if you do, you'll draw me in, and I'm trying to resist at the moment :P

there is no good or bad argument.. they suck..simple ..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed, but no point bringing it up here ;)
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »

^
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much like Maya sux?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Windows or mac, they both blow ass. There settled.

It was said before that when you buy a mac you buy a lifestyle instead of buying a computer. If you already have a lifestyle then feel free to get a pile of crap PC. At least with windows I don't have an overwhelming urge to punch someone in the turtle neck.

The companies behind them are fat a loaded full of cash and unwilling to address core issues MANY people have with both. Whichever burns through their cash fastest and gets back to the lean mean times will finally get around to fixing key things. They'll pay attention to customers and stop forcing them to eat whatever crap they pack in a box for insane prices. So far it looks like MS is winning the race to the bottom.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everyone knows Tencent is going to buy both EA and Activision
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a mac good/bad thing.

Really though, if apple WERE to buy one of these companies.. It is almost perfect timing. Apples newly announced " mac app store" could easily be filled with lots of game if they were to buy EA. Or various other software if they buy autodesk.
    Maybe their way of tyring to get certain programs and games to the appstore which would never come freely on their own?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    why would apple consider buying either of those brands... neither is trendy or douchey enough to appeal to their target demographic
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People seem to forget what happened last time Apple was buying something - the rumors where off the charts and not even close to reality(well, some were somewhat close).
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    There is another rumor floating around that they are in negotiations to buy Spotify the music streaming service..... This sounds more likely.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Ferg wrote: »
    why would apple consider buying either of those brands... neither is trendy or douchey enough to appeal to their target demographic

AAAHA HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Apple should buy Nintendo, so they can combine the crappy pretentious stuff into one bundle of fail wrapped in minimalistic white casing.
  • DEElekgolo
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Comparing a complete computer with customer support is hardly comparable to a pile of parts.
    Also, the DDR3 ram your showing in the first image is non ECC desktop ram. It is obviously a lot cheaper.

Every computer manufacturer has their overpriced optional items. Ram, hard drives and processors cost more at dell than they do at newegg.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    THE PINWHEEL OF DESPAIR!!! I see that horrid thing in my nightmares!
    I've been using a Mac at school for years, and though they are powerful, I am still not convinced enough to ever get one. They try to be simple, but end up over-complicating simple tasks. It's cumbersome, and more than half of the stuff I want to do on them isn't even feasible. It just seems like the hipster thing to do, I don't care for it.

And this is horrible news. Steve Jobs is a threat to my future as a game developer.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    THE PINWHEEL OF DESPAIR!!! I see that horrid thing in my nightmares!
    I've been using a Mac at school for years, and though they are powerful, I am still not convinced enough to ever get one. They try to be simple, but end up over-complicating simple tasks. It's cumbersome, and more than half of the stuff I want to do on them isn't even feasible. It just seems like the hipster thing to do, I don't care for it.

And this is horrible news. Steve Jobs is a threat to my future as a game developer.

hah, you're future hinges on EA? I'll tell your fortune for you "every November there's a 50% chance you'll get laid off"

and lulz, like Apple buying EA would be a bad thing? Another horrible failure like when Steve Jobs bought Pixar from Lucasfilm?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I guess I forgot the sarcastic " :P " in that last part.