Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Luffy - One Piece - Completed

Being a fan of One piece and also wanting more experience rigging a really stretchable cartoony model I decided to model and rig up Luffy here.

It has certainly been a very fun project and I learned much on modeling an anime styled character, creating a rig that can do many of the things luffy does on the show (Such as blow up like a balloon! :D ), and using maya's toon shader.

Luffys rigging reel link is:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTNYQ3z3_F8[/ame]

http://3dbriankenny.carbonmade.com/

Enjoy!

luffycover.jpg

luffyrender.jpg

luffy2ndgear.jpg

luffyinflated.jpg

luffyupdate.jpg

Replies

• Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First time I've seen anything about One Piece on here.

Looks pretty awesome. Intense cartoony deformations =]
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Very impressive rig! Really great work! I enjoyed that a lot :)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    That's incredible! Great reel, your setups look like they'd be a dream to use.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see an entertaining rigging reel.

However, and this is a personal oppinion, I think it is too long. Like...twice as long as it should be. I would probably cut the gray lambert guy if I was being hard. It's small things like you show knee rigs on two character, and that you, on the toony guy, show a shaded version of face expressions after we just saw you do it real time.

Its preference I know, but at my school we always get told to make it short and to the point. Talked to a well known guy from the industry just the other day, he said that in his experience, people stop watching after 1.5m unless its all stellar stuff.

-> Which your toony guy IS so its a shame he is in the end.

Take from it what you want. But damn nice rigging dude :)
  • spaceidiot99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the posts everyone :D

@JGcount agreed with pretty much everything you said. Just switched Luffy to front for now but I'm also thinking on taking out the other characters body rigging parts and replacing it with something else that I got. Update soon.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Really impressive rig. I really like the facial animation possibilities. It must take a lot of polygons to support all that flexibility so I'm interested in what his poly count is (although I guess this isn't necessarily a game model?).

I don't know much about rigging reels, but it seems like you can probably cut the more basic and common controls, or maybe just list those controls as being made and available, but don't show each one? The more unique and advanced stuff is great though.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I never watched One Piece but this guy must be popular for rigging demos. This is just a face rig tutorial but I remembered seeing it years ago: http://athey.comyr.com/tutdump/facerig/index.html

Your rig is pretty impressive needless to say ! He offers all kind of crazy movement and I can't imagine that must have been easy to do. Color me impressed =D
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    holy smokes. this is just too awesome
  • spaceidiot99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the feedback! I've made the changes of taking out the body rig of the 2nd character (as JGcount and haikai pointed out, it was a bit redundant after the Luffy rig) and added a few more additions of different rig work in its place. Please check out the updated reel and let me know if its an improvement over the old!

@haikai : Luffy certainly isn't game res at 42k tris. Visually there probably wouldn't be much difference if I did use the next lowest subdivision because of the toon shader (even in the face rigging) but it did require the extra poly count so he wouldn't nickle at the edges when he did his inflate trick.

If you'd like to see one of my more game res characters check out my Aztec Golem char on my website (Link clike Here).
    Also, really liked the textures on your eagle guy when I saw him a while back :D

@Karmageddon yeah, I remember running across his version of Luffy as well and was actually what got me thinking of doing a version of him myself. Frankly, I'm surprised there are not more Luffy rigs flying around as he's a pretty fun and flexible character to get working. Rigging wise, he's Kinda like an anime version of Pixars Elasti-girl.

Thanks for posting all your crits guys :)