Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Young Sloth Wizard

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Saman polycounter lvl 13
Hello!
Here is my latest work. A lowpoly-ish character with hand-painted textures. It's a young sloth wizard. I don't know any background story for him yet. Hope you like him!
slothwizard.jpg
Wireframe:
slothwireframe.jpg
Texture flats:
slothdiffuse.jpg
And a simple walk-cycle for testing the rig:
SlothWizard_Walkcycle.gif
References:
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/12/52%20Baby%20Sloth.jpg
http://funnycutepic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/baby-sloth.jpg

Replies

• moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I dig! You should get some better lighting for your turn around presentation. Also I think your only real weakness in the texture is that you aren't really popping your lighting in it so much. It has a low contrast threshold, which is kinda what you're going for, but you want to pop your lighted, and highlight areas just a tad more, so that you get more depth of space in the texture. If you want to test for this, put in more lights, until the texture gets kind of blown out... if it still has a sense of depth, then you're golden. If not, you need to tweak it.

Hope that helps! Good stuff, keep it coming.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice! An interesting character.

edit: The bright amber color in the lower part of his eyes is a little distracting. At first I thought it was his eyelid or something.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    it needs some key light painted in
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    yeah, add a key light and a blue light for the crystal on his staff :)
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    this is amazing! I love it!
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Nice character! I realy like it.
    But I also think there isn´t much light information on the textures. And also a blue light from the cristal would be realy cool! :\
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I think u've gotten the idea of what the crits haha, but here's a PO -

groaaa_sloth.gif

This includes:
    - 1 more layer of light
    - Continuing the little dots framing the cloth (might be excessive dunno)
    - Implementing some blue highlights on the more reflective surfaces (wet nose, mouth, eyes & claws). Really going in and adding softer blue light everywhere will prob look cool but may not be necessary. Some "volumetric light" around the crystal may suffice, but I did add reflections right on the wooden "cup".

The strong orange on the eyes is my fav part, it adds the pop to all the brown, just like I suggested to u on the Orc model from b4.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great paintover, shogun
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys! And thanks a lot for the paint-over, shotgun. I have to admit that popping the textures is one of my weakness', moof. I tend to make the contrasts too subtle. I started painting after the paint-over and here is what I have so far. I'll make some more smaller changes after that. Tell me what you think;
    slothwizard101022.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks good, yes. I don't think u have much more work on that aspect. I would recommend adding an additional layer on the face, making it a little brighter (the planes facing up, that is).
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    conte wrote: »
    great paintover, shogun
    Agreed!

Goraaz> definitely way better! I think shogun points out one more thing you should do if you can, and that's to indicate the border edging on the brown loin cloth. It blends a little bit too much, and having an edging will give more sense to the shapes going on there.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Ok, I changed the highlights on the clothing as well. Please tell me what you think of this;
    slothwizard101022_2.jpg
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good man! I also really like the walk cycle!
  • jrmenace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make the leather on the clothing more grainer ,and add a lil contrast on the fingernails ntoes ,but looks good for what it is
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    very nice model, the only thing that bugs me is the shape of the face. :)

2991sloth.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shape's fine, imo.
    I can't see any update on the last post -- wrong version posted?

As for the leather - I agree the highlight should be a little darker and more saturated, in general the relief more matte. In my paintover also it was too light.
    Also, some grain would help push the texture, now that u'r pretty much finished with lighting/coloring him (relatively early on, notice the improvement) u could start working on that.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks a lot, guys. I added some grain to the brown clothes. Don't know if you can see a difference right now but, the difference isn't very noticeable but when I increase it it just looks bad in a close-up.
    @ Cap hotkill: Yes, I know that it's not looking very sloth'ish in the face. I increased the eye-size to make it look less realistic... Check my references in my first post to see the ones I followed though, might give you a better understanding.

@jrmenace: ",and add a lil contrast on the fingernails ntoes" - Do you mean more highlights? Or more color? Do you want me to make it more saturated? I have a fever right now so please excuse my lack of comprehension.
    slothwizard101023.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work!

- BoBo
  • jrmenace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry yeah i meant highlights for the fingernails n toes.for the clothes i think the problems actualy is theres no realdefined outlines for the belt necklace n stitching.ummm... as to say better add some highlights to the metal on the belt n make it look like its actualy a seperate piece from the rest
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I think he's moving WAY to fast in his walk cycle.

Looks cute though :).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it! Nice work.

He's a bit speedy for a sloth =P
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The walk cycle needs some work. He's too fast, the toes on the passing position should dip down for a more fluid feel and his leg work is actually quite robotic to me. I do like the swaying of the head and the movement of the staff though.

I'm an aspiring animator so don't really take my comments all too seriously. =]

Amazing model and texture.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks, guys. You're right, Taylor. I was a bit too hasty with the walk cycle and didn't really look at the details that much. Just made it to test the rig with all the parts. I'll look into that later.
    Thanks for the feedback, jrmenace. I'll look into that too.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    This is rad. I really like sloths. Well done.