Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon Rabbit Character

Patackular
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Patackular polycounter lvl 9
Hey-hey!

I’ve drawn up a rough idea of what I wanna make and it’s this rabbit-demon thing.

Concept_8copy.jpg

I’ve been trying to nail down some decent anatomy (looking into Kangaroos and such) and further inspirations for adaptation but it would be great if I could get feedback in any areas.

I’m gonna try and implement the muscles in Max as best I can before I take them into ZBrush, so advice for them would be great.

Clay_Render_1.jpg

Clay_Render_Wires_1.jpg

Apologies for the middle seam, but I’ve yet to weld the two parts together.

Replies

• Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you're making good progress on this. The one thing I'd say about it is that tail really makes it not read as a rabbit I would suggest re-visiting it personally.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Make the tail a big puff ball with spikes poking out of the fluff.
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers, guys :thumbup: I'll have a think.
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think my intention was to create something simultaneousness rodent and demon like, not necessarily rabbit per se.

Here's some of my inspiration:

Tails_damage-by-feral-cats.jpg

Tail_SID7911lg.jpg

Tail_rabbits2.jpg

I'll see if I can develop the tail to lean towards the rodent design more, but I'm not sure how at the moment.
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for my work:

Clay_Render_1-1.jpg

Clay_Render_2.jpg

Clay_Render_3-1.jpg

Clay_Render_4-1.jpg

Clay_Render_5-1.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    The proportion is still too human like bent forward..you already got a pretty good design reference, pay more attention to the legs and arms anatomy/ placement. How they joint with the body/ how they deformed/ etc.

_Revel
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks :)

Can you suggest where they could be placed?

Do you think if I bent him forward even more, it would make it more 'creature-like'. Perhaps like this? http://www.tubapants.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/trex.jpg

Quite like the collar tag idea too.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Yes, the t-rex example that you found is what I mean. If you notice from the proportion from the neck - body - tail can say as one big mesh and the leg is extruding from the side (and make it can't stand straight like human).

Owh about the collar tag, you can make it instead of a tag but make it as an iron ball like the one that chained to the leg of a prisoner..lol

_Revel
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, cheers man :thumbup:
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    hmm..your feet looks a bit funny..they should be coming down not going up, to me it looks like he has no real balance when hes standing, you might want to look into animal anamtomy more.

I like where your heading with this though :) im a big fan of creature creation XD so good luck ^^
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Agreed with Jungsik, anatomy of a creature still way off. The core structure of it still very much resemble human anatomy, which is -judging by your reference- not what you want.

Other than that, I'm curious why you make the front teeth so long like that?..it looks like blocking when it want to eat something, it's lower jaw also cannot open as wide as the teeth's length.

_Revel
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    It looks like you're using bodybuilder anatomy rather than animal anatomy, I think. For the teeth I'm guesing they're stylized to be similar to a sabertooth, but the tigers teeth work with the rest of the jaw.

saberskull.jpg
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Seems to have a pretty bad case of sausage limbs. Might want to look into some human anatomy for this. I like the idea of a demon rabbit though :)
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys :D

@ Jungsik

Ok, I think I see what you mean. I’ll try and ground the feet and go for a tiger style foot. Might bring it away from a human appearance too.

Tiger_Ref.jpg

You guys reminded me to look back at my references and I noticed that a lot of them have the reverse leg as opposed to what I’ve made. I think if I go for that it might help to deviate away from the human look and fit better.

@Reve

I’m finding it hard to create the anatomy for this because I can’t get my hands on references that are appropriate and show muscles clearly. The only ones that were decent were for humans and they’re only useful for muscle placement and proportions to an extent.

I’d quite like to keep the teeth large but I might play around with them a bit to see if there’s a better way of having them.

I’ll definitely sort out the lower jaw to make sure the teeth fit, on closing. I’ll try and smooth out a better jaw line too.

@LRoy

The big teeth were just an instinctive thing really, after ‘rabbit’ first popped in my head. I did have a little look into sabre-toothed stuff and I think you’re right. I’ll look into placing them so they fit better. I might make them shorter and broader too. That reference is great by the way. I’ll try and mix it in with this.

teeth.jpg

@ Dim

I do like sausages, but alas they have no place here. Can you describe how I could improve them (my muscles, not sausages)? Would it be better if the arms narrowed at the hands and broadened at the shoulder? Or do you mean that the individual muscles don’t flow into each other?

Glad you like :D
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes! grounding the feet would definitely a start :) your reference picture is a great example ^^
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    If you want to keep him as a biped I would suggest looking at some dinosaur anatomy like that T-rex you showed. If you're going for a quadruped then look at some canine anatomy or even just look at the musculature of a rabbit and just exaggerate it.

I noticed you have that demon dog thing as some reference so look at that again too
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    For the musculature it might help to think of them as a million tiny fibers connecting from one bone to the next and sculpt it that way. When you look at bodybuilder anatomy a lot of the time it just looks like big lumps and you lose a lot of the flow.
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :D

Nice advice. Ben a bit short on time lately but here's a little progress.

I've rotated the torso upward to make sculpting the abs more easy and straightened the arms.

Most progress has been around the arms.

C_4_6.jpg

C_4_5.jpg

C_4_4.jpg

C_4_3.jpg

C_4_2.jpg

C_4_1.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I'm a little confused with what you are doing here. From all your reference it looks like you're going for a rabbit-like creature, not a human-like rabbit. All your reference is of quadruped animals but your model looks like a human. I think it would be best if you clearly state what you want to do and use appropriate reference so people can give better feedback because it seems like a few other posters here are confused as well.

However, the sculpting is looking good, though I'm not a big anatomy/musculature buff
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    The muscles are over the top (_especially_ the legs). It seems like your character is made out of balloons if you will. Flatten out the muscles, tone them down, revise the anatomy and take away some of the unecessary details! Find the essence of your character, don't ruin it with pointless noise! Don't be afraid to redo large chunks and do some daring changes.

I hope that helps some :)
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. My intention was to create a creature that was like a ‘hulk'/mutated version of a rabbit.

This project's focus is to improve on what was a poorly executed first idea:

Beauty_Shot.jpg

I wanted to recreate this idea with more convincing anatomy and an improved texture.

Given that I’m rather inexperienced in this area of creating anatomy, I was staying close to the human/biped build, without mirroring human anatomy exactly. So, I’m repositioning human anatomy in a creature appearance (hunched posture).

Davision's Rodent Faction is a good example of the kind of anatomy and style I' going for, but more human than I want.

JazzJackrabbit-RodentsFactionByDavision.jpg

Earth Worm Jim's Peter Puppy was another example of the thing I was hoping to head toward, but it's been hard find references for him.

PeterPuppy.jpg

So for anatomical references, the hulk is pretty good.

Hulk.jpg

The t-rex leg position was a useful avenue of research, setting out how the leg placement distance and size.
    The Jaw is my next area I’ll need to fix. The teeth don’t match so, as suggested, a sabre tooth tiger will help map out their position.
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Is that you character too, the Dom War IV? Don't know if it's just me but I think that proportion is way much better looking and fit with your references then the current one.

_Revel
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it is. Something I did a while back for practise sake. I see what you mean, and although I also like the hunched and crooked look, I really wanna try and develop suitable muscle placement for this.

I'll most likely return to this sometime in the future and re-think it entirely, but for the time being and given the short amount of time I have for this, I'm gonna stick with it.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really recommend fixing your feet there Patackular

great improvement from the last model but i want to see more!!!!!

edit: Theres some muscles that dont really make sense

The two little muscles between your bicep and your pectoral muscles are really bothering
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jungsik!

Any better?

Feet_2.jpg

Feet_1.jpg

C_6_Underarm.jpg
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message