Home General Discussion

How you learned to paint?

Hi there, I'm looking for advice on how to go from sketching to painting textures for my models. I've never really done much work in color. How did everyone else get into painting models? Where can I learn to do that? How do you know what to paint in photoshop?

Sorry if this is a re-post of a question. I just did a forum search for "paint" and didnt really find anything I was looking for.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It really depends. Hand painting the lighting and details into low poly models is completely different than painting details onto a gears of war style character. More details and info is needed.

Next time try searching for textures or hand painted.
  • jimmypopali
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    "Digital Texturing and Painting" by Owen Demers is very nice book.
    and take some life painting classes.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Pick a brush, pick a color, paint.

That wiki jimmypopali posted will help :).
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Pick a brush, pick a color, paint.
    :).

Too obvious process is too obvious? :D

there has got to be more than that to painting bro.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is nitewalker, those really good painters just painted instead of searching for pro techniques. It is perhaps the glaring simplicity that makes it uncanny, even though I am by no means an expert, I dare say that all you need is 10000 hours of putting brush to canvas to become good at it.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I learnt how to digitally paint by having a msn list of awesome artists that liked doing open canvas 1.1 sessions. (networked drawing).

Not as viable anymore as there isnt a modern equivelent to the program that likes our modern routers.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Muzz wrote: »
    I learnt how to digitally paint by having a msn list of awesome artists that liked doing open canvas 1.1 sessions. (networked drawing).

Not as viable anymore as there isnt a modern equivelent to the program that likes our modern routers.

There's justin.tv, I don't have much experience with it but with a name like Justin you know it's good!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    My route was painting textures for models --> drawing --> painting (academic). Looking back, I can tell u the most important stuff is learning form - which u alreay have.
    Values are second, which u already also have.
    So, really, there's nothing stopping u except self doubt here :)
    I figure someone competent as u can easily master painting by simple trial & error.
    However, there r tutorials out there u can look into as for academic painting (layering colors, color thoery, etc).

Traditionally, after the drawing phase comes the charcoal phase, providing u full-scale of values. This is equivalent to painting but without color, so I would advise that. If u don't wonna get messy or go news-print sheets and all, get a recycled-paper sketchbook where u can implement white gradients and even prismacolor penciles. Those work gr8. Whatever u do, start with a limited palette.

If u don't care about any of this academic mumbo-jumbo and just wonna paint textures, Photoshop provides plenty of quick methods to create colors and values "artificially". Tutorials r ur way, just find a technique that appeals to u and go.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    bbob wrote: »
    I dare say that all you need is 10000 hours of putting brush to canvas to become good at it.

no offense, but I daresay that's a load of shit. Yes, I think the 10000 hours of time is a good rule/estimate, but it's not simply doing. you need to analyze what you are doing actively, pay attention to how you're doing it, look for ways to improve or get clearer to what you're shooting for.

It's the same reason I get bitter when people say 'just draw', yes, it's definitely a part of it but it's certainly not all of it. if you have a desire or clear goal of improving and take steps to actively learn and understand what you're doing that will help MUCH MUCH more than simply doing.

however, doing is absolutely the first step.

as for texturing - do you understand Unwrapping as of yet? Once you have your model unwrapped you can work on the actual texturing. I usually start by sketching out where I want to place the details. As Zac said, it's different for 'next gen' objects because a lot of that detail you'll be able to bake in first, but if it's a diffuse only texture just put some lines down to get an idea of where they will show up on the model. As you get more accustom to this you'll be much more comfortable skipping this part and getting right into the painting. Definitely check out some of the tutorials linked previously.

As for painting itself, PSG Art Tut is always a great place to start.

EDIT: Looking at your sketch blog, I have to say I'm not sure where your problem lies? you have very solid sketching skills, and you even have an already textured (painted) character done. What exactly are you asking for help in? lol
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry, I thought that was kind of implied as that is the process, I didnt mean squishing around with the damn thing for 10000 hours straight, but of course studying your subjects and maintaining the drive for constant improvement.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    bbob wrote: »
    The thing is nitewalker, those really good painters just painted instead of searching for pro techniques. It is perhaps the glaring simplicity that makes it uncanny, even though I am by no means an expert, I dare say that all you need is 10000 hours of putting brush to canvas to become good at it.

No actually, I was talking about how he said it made it look all obviously easy.

Consider this conversation as an example:

You: Dear Pro Painter sir, how do you paint this good?

Pro Painter: Simple! I choose the right canvas, take the right brush from my paint brush pocket, I pick a colour, I start painting and spend many hours on it.

I have a question for you bbob. Did you learn anything from this conversation? Or does this statement of the Pro Painter looks too obvious to you.

The thing is, ( and I do understand that many pro painters just seem to know the stuff but hard to explain. ) But they should be able to explain how they painted.

As a result: Some digital painters do show their work flows accordingly just to show how they started, WHAT colour they used, WHAT brush they used, Canvas size and etc. (you know, the stuff that you need to know to get started)

but not all of them follow the same routine.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I misunderstood you then. All I was saying is that there is only so much you can learn from watching other people paint, most often all these tiny things they do are lost on you untill you have the experience to see why its clever to do this and not that. Otherwise these things just becomes mantras: "Don't ever use anything but quads for sub-d", "never use black or white backgrounds" etc.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Don't mean to derail your thread about painting for 'texture work' but I don't know to this day I can't 'paint' I still see it differently I "color" I don't paint. Does anyone else feel the same?

Like craig mullins stuff looks 'paintely' to me...
    CraigMullins-Arthurwithbattleflags.png

But if I tried to do that I'd end up drawing it first then 'coloring' it in like a coloring book, instead of just painting values and shading and I can't get that out of my head for some reason.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    i studies art for numerous amount of years, both at home and then went to college, uni did a degree in scientific illustration and then moved on to painting 3d models.
    another 15 years of that and my work is kind of passable
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you ever figure it out, let me know. I think the learning path is a little different for everyone. I think digital painting can learn a lot from traditional painting. I would avoid 95% of the "photoshop painting tutorials" online most are "how to make a candy i-mac buttonz".
    In fact I would skip photoshop all together and go pick up art rage. Super cheap, and its more of a painting sim and less hack and slash than photoshop. Quick clean interface without all the BS bloatware tacked in.

Seriousness art rage on a cintiq or even the ipad = good times.

I think you've got 80% of what it takes already, I think what's left is just some reading and a lot of trial and error.

I'm blown away by artists like Ashely Wood and Brom who actually paint. No ctrl-z and no layers. It really must force you to pay attention to your strokes and make them count. Kind of like pen vs pencil.
    hbn.jpg
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    If you ever figure it out, let me know. I think the learning path is a little different for everyone. I think digital painting can learn a lot from traditional painting. I would avoid 95% of the "photoshop painting tutorials" online most are "how to make a candy i-mac buttonz".

Word, I think the biggest thing that helped me with digital painting was having a decent foundation in painting with real paints long before I ever knew what Photoshop was. That's not to say that painting tutorials are worthless, just stick to the ones that aren't Photoshop trickery like Vig said, and more that stick with translating traditional painting techniques to digital. Go slow, don't get discouraged and keep practicing.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Watch tutorials and the best ref is go out and study the env. Our brain unlocks things of how we see and paint, so no worry of failing. The more you paint the more your brain will understand shape and color. At the first I was the same as you asking this question, no artists are born to paint a badass paint, everyone has to start from somewhere else and build up their skills from there.
    Oh and btw the good practise is to draw life drawing, take a photo you like and copy the color palette from there and start to paint from the original paint. Really good practise for your brain.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Don't mean to derail your thread about painting for 'texture work' but I don't know to this day I can't 'paint' I still see it differently I "color" I don't paint. Does anyone else feel the same?

Like Pencilers -vs- Inkers?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMwhZryRUr4[/ame]

To the OP: It's all about techniques and style. Every different genre will require a different style and set of skills. You're best bet is just to focus on hand painting with photo work for blended layers and effects.

Exploring color is a tough one. I took two color theory courses in college, and I still struggle with it. Learning principals though will really help you understand how color works though. Beyond your simple complimentary vs tertiary color systems... color context for instance... cool shit

ct-4redsq.gif

color_context.jpg
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    I'm a self taught digital painter and let me tell you that jumping in head first is a bit daunting. Start small and work your way up! :) I would learn to paint simple objects first. Try practicing an apple a day or something of the like. Just do a google image search and do one a day. Try to find pictures with different colored apples, and different lighting situations. This way you can practice lighting, form, and technique. Also you'll pick up subtle things like how light bounces on different surfaces i.e. rough vs smooth. Starting off you'll want to color pick from your ref image, get a highlight, mid, shadow, and bounce to work with until you're comfortable making your own palette.

Here's a great tutorial to start with http://vimeo.com/1715081

Once you're more comfortable with painting, check out these tutorials http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, like several people have said, just practice. Practice and studies. And don't feel bad if you work looks shitty. Every artist, no matter how brilliant and talented, has a stack of old sketchbooks from early on filled to the brim with shit drawings.

Watching timelapses of great artists working helped me a lot. One problem I had was getting frustrated by not even being able to imagine how those guys made the images they did. Watching them go from start to finish took some of the mystery out of it, and made the whole thing feel more like a task with a clear path of practice than a magical trick I'd never understand.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Practice is good and If you feel unsure of if your progress is on the right track you could always post your stuff to forums like this one and get feedback. People can then point out errors etc that you can't see yourself!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    There's justin.tv, I don't have much experience with it but with a name like Justin you know it's good!

Not the same, i found that i had long one on one sessions sharing techniques with other artists and showing getting them to critique me as i worked. It is super easy to pick up flaws in somones work if you watch them work. You cant get that with 1 way video streaming.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all you need is a few basic brushes in photoshop, an idea of how you want it to look, and a lot of persistance!

like people say, the the hardest part is getting good with using colour, light and form, and i dont think you can ever stop learning things like that
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    There is no "learned" you just keep getting better the more pieces you create. The learning curve of painting game textures is so much more trial and error than a specific set of rules. They change from game type to game engine to game platform.

Nevertheless, really study the works of painters that inspire you. Try to dissect the brush strokes they use. Over time, you'll discover (or be privileged to work with) artists you can watch progress pieces. This is a very important step. I have extremely clear memories of the times I sat and watched a few amazing painters work. It's worth paying month to watch some people work.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

But if I tried to do that I'd end up drawing it first then 'coloring' it in like a coloring book, instead of just painting values and shading and I can't get that out of my head for some reason.

There's no better way to learn than using real paint. Get some acrylic or gouache, which dry quickly, and it will force you to lay down your strokes without fussing over them.

Greg Manchess uses confident, painterly brush strokes but has an excellent eye for value. He has a tutorial DVD for sale at Massive Black that is worth checking out if you want to see how he lays down his brush strokes.

pirates1_lg.jpg
  • redpandafire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. Its gonna take me a month to try them all out lol.