Home General Discussion

Disc no longer needed for Netflix on PS3 and Wii

http://mashable.com/2010/10/18/wii-ps3-netflix-disc-free/
Previously, Microsoft and Netflix had signed some sort of exclusivity deal, although the details weren’t made public. The result was a stifled Netflix experience on the two competing consoles. That time has ended.
That's kind of slimy... If you can't out run the competition, you might as well bruise their shin and hope they can't keep up, but really do you expect anything less? Both of them probably would of put the screws to MS if they could.

Replies

• Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It launched here in Canada disc-less last month. I can't even imagine having to insert the disc every time. I think you still do for Wii though, and Xbox hasn't launched in Canada yet; some kind of exclusivity revenge.

I've been loving it a lot on my PS3. The HD stuff is great quality and super smooth with my connection. Unfortunately there's a pretty mediocre selection right now.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    SNAPZ!
    Now they just need to get another distribution license deal for up-to-date new releases when they are released. The recent deal with Epix helped a lot giving them titles that were current within the past year or two, but just like that article you linked pointed out, they're still pretty weak in the department of NEW releases. However, Redbox is a cheap resolution to this problem :)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    odd..as soon as I looked at this thread..I got the email from netflix....

they're watching you...shhhhhhh
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The PS3 interface for Netflix is so much improved too. Plus HD and surround sound before the Xbox has it is a good win for a while. Now why can't I just get a subscription for instant view only and not silly discs?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I kind of wish Sony would sign an exclusivity agreement for 1080i with netflix. In all honesty, I really had exclusivity deals, but I'd love it for MS to get the screw job in return.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    this was actually announced right from the get go when Netflix launched on PS3. They said sometime mid 2010 Netflix would be diskless. Not surprised it was because of a deal with Microsoft though. If they could go diskless on Xbox then PS3 shouldnt be to big of an issue so it always seemed like it had to be some sort of deal.