Home General Discussion

Any contractor experienced with Canada Employment Insurance

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
Just wondering, if you have any tips with EI as a contractor.

Say you work for a few months and you get around 500+ insurable hours, and you make a claim off that since you're now not on a project. Then you get busy again which means halting ei payments temporarily (if you're honest <cough>).

And I know you can auto renew a claim if there's payable weeks left. So, it seems to me there could be an EI assist strategy here to bridge periods of slack and uber busyness as long as you meet the insurable hours requirement and work for companies that deducts your pay for ei.

Additionally, what if you're contractor for a non-domestic company (you work remote but the company is in the States for example) do you still apply as a "self-employed" and did you get ei?.

So basically, I'm checking for tips (or pitfalls) in this area be it links or anecdotes. I think fishermen or other seasonal workers rely on EI a lot, wondering if EI plays a big part of your year to year income as a gamedev contractor.

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Take what you can get I guess. You pretty much answered yourself in the first half. (I was pretty much in the same situation, and I used up all my EI in the end)

Pretty much I read through the fine print, and if you basically lie, you have to pay back what was sent plus interest.

It would probably better answered if you call up Service Canada, or walk into one of their offices and inquire.