Home General Discussion

Polycount character challenge?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
With the Side-Scroller Beat-Em-Up challenge scheduled to end in about a week, I'm curious when we're going to hear about the upcoming character challenge as promised in the original Choose Your Own Adventure thread. I know Comicon is supposed to wrap up pretty quick here and people are feeling pretty fatigued from it, so is that going to factor into the scheduling of the Polycount challenge, or are all systems still go for it to begin after SSBEU is done?

Anybody care to start the rampant mass guessing about the theme? I predict yetis and bears will at least make an appearance, but who knows what the crazy cats in charge are planning.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    We never jump from one challenge to the next, there'll be a considerable break between the two :) But the next one will definitely be for your character monkeys out there.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    speaking of cats, there will be cats.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    As much as I would love to see this happen here, and as much as I love you Swiz, you are high, off, your, ass if you think this is a good idea to start up in the next month or two.

The DW mini starts in December and November will be here before you know it.... then full on war in January... nucking futz man.... nucking futz.....

I'm just sayin' :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'll be pissed if there isn't a best pumpkin min-contest and a best costume mini-contest for this halloween
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Also agree with Firebert. A Halloween mini would be cool. Maybe requires real pumpkins! I would actually love to see another PC environment competition to offset all the character comps going on now/later and no Unrearthly. Plus I was to busy with getting a new job I couldnt do the side scroller one. But thats just me.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    What about an impromptu pumkin-modelling 'contest'? It'd be something a little simpler for everyone, have it finish the day before halloween, can just do a big thread / image of everyones' pumkins 'shopped together.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'm going to fourth the mini-challenge with the pumpkin. It's allows everyone to enter and shouldn't take more than a week compared to these large environment/character challenges. Plus it will be awful fun around Halloween!

As a side note, I really don't think the large challenges are working out. How many people have actually finished their side-scroller entries? Mini-challenges like facades, pedestals or single assets seem like the way to go in my opinion.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    As a side note, I really don't think the large challenges are working out. How many people have actually finished their side-scroller entries?

That challenge still has like 7 days to go....and there are already a ton of awesome entries in there. It seems to be working out just fine.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    nrek wrote: »
    That challenge still has like 7 days to go....and there are already a ton of awesome entries in there. It seems to be working out just fine.

Looking back at the contest sub-forum for it it looks like it's turning out better than I remember. The last few times I've checked though nearly all but 3 or 4 of the threads had been posted in over the past 4 or 5 days. I guess people just aren't updating their progress as much as I thought they would be.