Home Technical Talk

Texture Transfer (Hi-Res/Low-Res) ZBrush/Maya/Topogun

Hello,

Before I set out on a quest to create some next-gen game art using ZBrush, I wanted to ask a quick question. I understand how normal map project works from a hi-resolution piece of geometry (without UVs) to a low resolution piece of geometry (with UVs) but I was wondering if the same concept is applied for color/diffuse maps.

Should I only PolyPaint on my low-res model in ZBrush since that one will have UVs or will I be able to paint on the hi-res (which will have no or temporary UVs) and then transfer that over somehow?

I just don't want to get started and hit a roadblock. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I'll be using a mix of ZBrush, Maya, and experimenting with Topogun for the first time.

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well considering that Zbrush actually paints the vertices (I think...or the polys) means that if you use it to paint on your low-poly you would not get the detail you'd want.. at all, not even remotely close =P.

Choose another 3d-painting app, or just use photoshop. Photoshop is the most important anyways, so make sure to learn that first.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    You could paint on the highpoly in ZBrush, export that as a OBJ with included polypaint(vertex colors?). Then use xNormal's "Bake highpoly's vertex colors" feature. I've had some quite successful results with this when generating curvature data. Not from ZBrush's polypaint though. Might be worth looking into.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    In addition to Kodde's advice, you can bake the polypaint to auto-uvs in Zbrush and then transfer that do your actual uvs during the bake. Eat3d has a free tutorial covering that process:
    http://eat3d.com/free_zbrush_xnormal_pipe
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    didnt they add lightbox or whatever box just so you could actually texture to the UVs and not only the polypaint?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Lightbox is a file loader/ image browser. Spotlight allows for several things like image manipulation and projection-painting, but it's still using polypaint.
  • srlake314
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    srlake314 polycounter lvl 6
    Great question GhostSmoke.  You sound like me, afraid to to move forward in fear of messing something up and not proceeding correctly.
    I too had a question along those lines.  I know Shane Olson has a GREAT tutorial on the process of taking a hires model with polypaint out of Zbrush, redoing the topology in 3D Coat($99 aint bad).  Then you go into Topogun to generate your maps.  I won't explain the whole process, it's on Digital Tutors, BUT. I do have some questions about what happens when the texture and newly retopo'd low res mesh is loaded into Maya and the textures are off? 
    Anyone had anything like that happen?  I obviously did something wrong.