Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sith Ship

I did this a few weeks ago in UDK , I got the concept from Old Republic Sith Ship they announced. :)

shipship.jpg

http://stalie3d.com/

Replies

• BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    What's the concept look like?

Your textures feel a tad blurry and your spec isn't coming off as nicely as it could either. Very little in the scene feels like metal. Because your geometry on some pieces is low, it shows the poor quality of your textures off even more. There are too many hard edges. You can either add geo to them or put them in the texture.

Your lighting is pretty last gen as well, your shadows are too soft overall.
  • Revan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    What's the concept look like?

Your textures feel a tad blurry and your spec isn't coming off as nicely as it could either. Very little in the scene feels like metal. Because your geometry on some pieces is low, it shows the poor quality of your textures off even more. There are too many hard edges. You can either add geo to them or put them in the texture.

Your lighting is pretty last gen as well, your shadows are too soft overall.

Hey beno it's Elliott from school lol I'll post the concept inna bit .
  • rubenvoorhees1
    i think the soec is working good with the lighting. it has a good mood to it. and for poly count i love poly as much as next guy but if its for the old republic game then think its good to match there poly limits.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Ew Sith! Go Go Jedi :D *runs and hides behind a pile of boxes*

But on the serious side, i have to agree with ruben, the lighting matches nicely to the mood
  • Revan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ew Sith! Go Go Jedi :D *runs and hides behind a pile of boxes*

But on the serious side, i have to agree with ruben, the lighting matches nicely to the mood

Lol thanks Jedi are ok... Dark side is more fun :D
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Revan wrote: »
    Lol thanks Jedi are ok... Dark side is more fun :D

i heard they also have cookies ;)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    I think your lighting has too many hotspots and the colored lighting needs to blend more. heres the screenshot I'm guessing your going from.

Screenshot

So are you trying to recreate the scene with the same specs or go higher poly with photosourced textures? Their textures are stylized and read a lot easier, so thats something to think about. Also you need to brighten your scene overall since the shadows go completely black and lose detail.

Add some bevels to your edges so they can pick up light better. they look way to sharp now. You may want to rethink your wall panels now since they don't look too much like the actual screenshot.

just my 2cents, hope it helps.
  • Revan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    I think your lighting has too many hotspots and the colored lighting needs to blend more. heres the screenshot I'm guessing your going from.

Screenshot

So are you trying to recreate the scene with the same specs or go higher poly with photosourced textures? Their textures are stylized and read a lot easier, so thats something to think about. Also you need to brighten your scene overall since the shadows go completely black and lose detail.

Add some bevels to your edges so they can pick up light better. they look way to sharp now. You may want to rethink your wall panels now since they don't look too much like the actual screenshot.

just my 2cents, hope it helps.

Thanks for your thoughts, here is the concept that I based it off of,

http://www.swtor.com/media/concepts/sith-starship-1

I tried to keep them really low considering that they would be in a MMo and I know they have a more cartoon feel to theres but I like the concept better it looks much more real.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Revan wrote: »
    Thanks for your thoughts, here is the concept that I based it off of,

http://www.swtor.com/media/concepts/sith-starship-1

I tried to keep them really low considering that they would be in a MMo and I know they have a more cartoon feel to theres but I like the concept better it looks much more real.

Even if it's low poly, you should consider "beveling/acsenting" the edges in the texture for the metal, just like they do in the game. I also agree that your metal wall textures don't really fit the "star wars" look for walls. The floor texture has that rivet and seam look that identifies star wars, try working with a different design maybe.