Home Technical Talk

::3DS Max - Easy Unwrapping?::

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CT007 polycounter lvl 13
Greetings, fellow 3Dholics. I seek an answer:

Is there an EASY way to UNWRAP in Max(like modo)?

I want to:
1) Select ALL my seam edges on the entire model
2) Click Unwrap/Unfold/Pelt, and have all seams defined for further editing

I tried some UV plugins and such, some added thousands of features that made Max lag, others were outdated and didn't work in Max 2011, and some *almost* sorta kinda did what I want, but I don't want any more headaches, just a solution.

Thx-

===================

SOLUTIONS:

Plugins:
1) XrayUnwrap(supports Max 2011)
2) LSCM Unwrap(does not support 2011)

Standard Tools(least steps I could come up with):
1) Apply UWV Unwrap modifier
2) Select all polys
3) Quick Planar Map
4) Select all of your seam edges(in UVW Unwrap modifier)
5) Break Selected Verts(in UV editor)
6) Relax, sort, tweak, fix, etc.

So it's 2 steps vs 6, for modo/XrayUnwrap UVing vs Max standard tools

Replies

• FicWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
    There are a variety of unwrapping tools for max, and it sounds like you've done a number of investigations.

To be honest though I don't think you'll find a magic checkbox to make the user interface match what you're familiar with. If you prefer to unwrap using a modo-like interface, then why not use modo? Then import your model to do further 3ds-max-y things.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Why not use Pelt Mapping inside 3dsmax?
    http://forcg.com/tutorials/game-art/how-to-use-pelt-mapping/

It does exactly what you want...
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    The description you gave sounds like Roadkill. Have you tried that out yet?
    http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

You do exactly what you're asking for: you select the edges you want to be cut, and it will do a pretty good job. Then you can further tweak it if you want.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    CrazyButcher ported LSCM over to Max a while back, not sure if it works 100% in Max 2011 but it should be worth a shot:

http://www.luxinia.de/index.php/ArtTools/3dsmax#lscm
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You also could try Xray Unwrap, which has LCSM implemented and some other nice stuff.Unfortunately it´s not free, but it comes for a very low price(12,99 € to be exact)

Take a look:
    http://www.raylightgames.com/xrayunwrap/index.html
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
    exactly like he said, select all edges then hit pelt. You can further edit the result with different relaxing methods.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, Xray Unwrap is exactly Blender's unwrap code implemented in max. The feature list and names are exactly alike.. Not to demean their work bringing it over, but I can't believe they're essentially charging 13€ for open source code.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not quite right snowfly, if i´m not mistaken there wasn´t a live feature in the original lcsm unwrap for example.Could lcsm unwrap hardsurface models correctly, i´m not sure anymore?
    Nevertheless it´s well integrated and just fells smooth when using.
    I bought it some time ago and like it, eventhough it might look like a rip-off.
  • CT007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CT007 polycounter lvl 13
    SpeCter wrote: »
    Why not use Pelt Mapping inside 3dsmax?

It does exactly what you want...

Pelt mapping(Max's default Pelt) can only UV one chunk at a time...not what I want. I want to do all seams & chunks at once.

CrazyButcher ported LSCM over to Max a while back, not sure if it works 100% in Max 2011 but it should be worth a shot

This APPEARS to be what I want, but there was no 2011 installer files, so I don't know if you can hack-edit it to work or what...I guess there is no easy solution.
    The description you gave sounds like Roadkill. Have you tried that out yet?

Yes, but I couldn't get it to work. Tutorial, anyone? I saw youtube videos and all the little gifs and read the tiny help info, but the best I could find was the Quick Pelt tool, which I couldn't get to work... I selected edges, also tried by setting UVW seams, clicked the tool, and it didn't work right. It does pretty good auto-unwrap pelt though, but I don't want to stictch & sew to get the exact seams I need.

And the winner is...[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQSEHcgN7Y&feature=player_embedded"]XRay Unwrap[/ame] It gets the job done. :thumbup:
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, like I said it's a 1-to-1 port of Blender's unwrap features, plus max's seam marking setup. So yes, Live Unwrap and Angle Based are in there too. I guess 13€ is what you pay for the luxury of being able to stay inside max... so don't get me wrong, this would be my unwrapper of choice in max, since I've been exporting OBJ's into Blender just to unwrap nearly everyday for the past 2 weeks now and getting tired of it... but anywho .. Polycount is not my blog. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Planar map, define your seams, break the edges, relax.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Vig wrote: »

Exactly my workflow for organic stuff :thumbup: ...everything else is just fancy clutter...
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I use Xray unwrap as well, best results/speed I've found for max, and yeah it's ridiculous that they haven't integrated this kind of stuff directly. Roadkill is good too, but it's not integrated as well.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    the original xray unwrap was a straight copy of my plugin/script combo integration (at least the way they integrated it with max, same ui, same options, same approach) except they didn't ship the sourcecodes like I did (I never saw their code, so I can't say they copy pasted stuff from me)... however later they really improved the port and built on top of the newer lscm implementation found in newer blender versions (which has the live stuff, too, the one I used as base wasn't as feature complete). So the 1.5 stuff looks really well done and they found better / more robust ways to integrate it within max now. But I remember seeing their original first stuff and it left a shallow taste...

I also never felt comfortable with "getting money of open sourced stuff" hence never put a price-tag on the LSCM unwrapper. However I also hardly received any donations from it, although I knew several studios were using it, and were asking for recompiles and such. So I think ultimately the xray guys did the right thing. They saw the market is there, they charged a bit money, they invested in improving the product, and can now charge even more given the market is still there.

And I can tell you from my original implementation, that although the main lscm code file was very similar to the blender file, you still have to
    a) change the original blender stuff to work with max's mesh structures
    b) come up with a way to integrate it with max. In my case that was the communication with uvw-modifiers and the drawing of the seam edges as well as how the user can set them in regular epoly modifier mode. That work actually is the hard work, and only the "math" part of the LSCM thing you can reuse from the original source. And even blender's technique is mostly building ontop of OpenNL (another code lib that handles the hard math bits).

so eventhough I hate the guys for being smarter on capitalizing this stuff than myself hehe, they for sure invested work that goes beyond copy pasting. anyway anyone who bought it, can ask for the sourcecode, and do with it whatever they want, that's the risk you have to live with building from GPL'ed code. You can charge for GPL software, but you must provide the source code to your customers.

-

When I made the plugin it was for max 5.x when the relax methods weren't in 3dsmax yet. So nowadays Vig's suggestion will get you great results, too
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    I use Unfold3d:
    select some edges + press break
    press auto. unwrapping
    = done

But I am not using it anymore. 3dsmax and textools pwns every third-party software.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Textools and Max 2010+ updates are more than enough for anything I've ever had to do.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for TexTools. Really great set of scripts by renderjhs. I use it at work where we're still stuck with Max 9.

http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for TexTools too. I really do love them, but i prefer to mix different approaches, depending on what i do :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Its expensive but i cant live without headus uvlayout. damn awesome software.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Its expensive but i cant live without headus uvlayout. damn awesome software.
    After hearing everyone praising it I gave it a try. I didn't get on too well with it. I'm sure it's a very powerful tool once you fully get to grips with it but I just found it a bit awkward.
    Vig wrote: »
    This works great. I've been trying to figure out how to unwrap using pre-defined seems without using pelt. Haven't tried it on complex geometry though.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Playdo: I dont know if you saw them but there are some really good tutorials on the site.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did yeah. The few models I unwrapped in it, I ended up importing back into Max to finish off. There are a lot who say it's the best UV tool, so I'm pretty sure I'd just need to give it more time. If I can do my unwrapping efficiently inside of Max though, I'd much rather go that route.