Home General Discussion

The Game Creators.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
I'm sure you guys have already heard about these guys, they have that famous FPS creator engine that lets you make FPS games without any coding (custom dynamic scripts makes everything like pointing and clicking.)

What are your thoughts on engines like these? Are they a good thing? Should they implement these in schools (high school maybe not college, although it wouldn't be bad to showcase your work quickly).

I just returned to their website after YEARS and it seems like they have made many updates. The FPS creator is only $49.99. Not bad...

http://www.thegamecreators.com/

Replies

• gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    Ok, I got into game art because of the game creators, and you know I'm a frequenter on the boards, but theyre products, including FPS Creator, (which I have) everyone uses either the stock assets or assets other people have made (there is an asset store) so basically all the same.

Of course, this engine is really fun for a newcomer. I played with it for quite a long time, but really, it's not powerful enough to make a really serious game. You're better off getting unity or UDK. It's very limited even with extensions and mods, and if you put an asset into it, it really dumbs down the quality. It's more of a toy than anything.

You could use it for schools of course, but why use a fifty dollar engine when there's a free version of Unity and the UDK? You'd learn more using one of those than FPS Creator.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    last i checked on the forums there, there was tons of art that was stolen from people i knew. the community still seems to retain the status of "lol i am make my own gaemsr!!!"
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lululul there's actually a lot less theft lately racer
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's only because most of the people there are 13 and below, so basically they don't know that its illegal to edit something and claim all of it their own. I think more people on polycount should be coming over to help them out
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Same here gibon543, I got into the "game making" thing through the FPS creator, but they also have realm crafter, and the FPS x10 (uses direct x10 I guess).

Have you tried Realm Crafter?
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FPS Creator X10 really destroys FPS Creator when it comes to shaders. And now with mod capability and new features, it looks promising. And now actually with DarkShader people have been creating some new normal map shaders for the original fps creator that look pretty cool

Realm Crafter I'm not sure, the demo never loaded on my computer, but it looks cool
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    seems like a great way to get interested in game design. And given how few of the games are likely to be commercial I would be inclined to turn a blind eye to art borrowing, I don't think its as if they are using it to get a job or sell a product. Seems like a great gateway to becoming more serious about it (or finding out.. shit, its hard work to make a game??)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is very true rooster, and there are some commercial games, but I've seen them and theyre terrible compared to the games that are actually released free on the boards. Some of them are actually pretty damn good. Here are the best I've seen with this engine.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=176154&b=35 - Horror game Euthanasia

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166018&b=35 - Alpha Project Horror Game has a "best of the best" title

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=164428&b=35 - Deprivation Direct Action again has a best of the best title