Home Technical Talk

Modeling a Hull

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
SnakeDoctor keyframe
I have to model this for my midterm assignment. Whats a good way to go about modeling a ship's hull? I have tried and all my attempts look to blocky and flat.

80_stream.jpg

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Do you want to model the planks, or just the surface used for texturing?
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    I was just thinking the surface used for texturing. Whats the process for both if you dont mind.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Mass out with simple shapes, details details details.

A lot of things are repeating in that picture so you can make 2 or 3 instances of an object and clone it around.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    If just the shape, you could literally start with a sphere, squash and stretch it till you block out the main shape, delete 3/4th of it and you now have a workable mass you could push and pull verts as needed. FFD modifiers are your friend.

If you went the planks route, you could do a couple methods. Either model all the planks out completely flat for the basic size of it then FFD the hell out of the group, or even take the above spherical advice with enough tesselation and use extrude / bevels once you have the clean topology. Would probably still require some manual labor (read - vert pushing) though.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Here's what I mean in pictures. About 30 seconds of modeling time to block the shape in. Use symmetry to mirror to the other side and massage the verts as needed.

sampleu.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    If you want to model the planks you could make a basemesh of the hull unwrap it, use sliteknit or textools UVW Swap + Morpher lay out planks on the unwrapped mesh and morph it back.

Here is an very quick example:
    hullg.png

You could use the basemesh as it is to paint on it to i think.
    This was made out of a box and brought into shape in about 2 minutes, so nothing really fancy there
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    I have tex tools but I am not understanding the process that you explained. How do I lay out the planks from the uvw's and what do I do with the morpher?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give me some minutes and i will post a example ;)

Edit: Here it goes:

First thing to do is unwrap your mesh in a way that you can easily lay out your planks.

bild1zq.png

Then use slideknit on your basemesh with a UV Scale value, so that it´s almost the same size(the resulting mesh will not be the same size, so play around with the value so that it´s almost the same, otherwise there could be some stretching )

I used 200% in this example, which worked quite good, just try out till you are satisfied
    slideknit.png

You will get a second mesh with a morpher modfier(and it looks like the UVW´s we layed out hurray!)

The section i marked in blue can be used to morph between the flat version and your original basemesh, just use a value of 0 or 100, not to hard to use.

bild2ua.png

Now it´s time to lay out our planks, for example like that:

bild3mz.png

Afterwards attach all planks together, so that they are one object and add a skin wrap modifier to it and add the mesh which has the morph modifier to it.
    bild5qg.png

After that you can select the Object with the morpher modifier and change the morph value to 100 and the planks should deform accordingly.

bild4s.png

I would recommend to use Slideknit tools, because it´s far easier with it.

Hope that helps!:poly124:
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spicypixel polycounter lvl 6
    I was following this example but used Textools to create a uvwflat mesh, however when I apply a morpher modifer to the flat second mesh it wont let me select the cylinder as the target, not sure what I've done wrong.

I think its something to do with vertex order/count, I deleted a face and tried again and got this:
    http://imgur.com/X0Sfj.png

Anyone got a copy of slidknot which works with 2011?
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    I found this spicypixel. http://cghub.com/scripts/view/79/ I dont know if it works with 2011 but it works for my 2010. Let me know if that helps.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Argh sorry, i meant slideknit, not slidknot, my bad. And it should work with 2011 too, sorry for the mistake :-/
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    No problem thanks for the help! Plan on sculpting a few planks in brush then laying them out with the work flow you just described. Should work pretty good.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One sidenote: You can´t use instances with this script, it won´t work.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Yah I found that out earlier lol. Oh and just in case anyone else wants to try this out, when you use skin wrap make sure you have the blend to base unchecked and weight all points checked.
  • Spicypixel