Home General Discussion

[Rant] Tutorials

Sorry of this is the wrong place but it's annoying the hell out of me and I need to get it off my chest.

I'm sick and tired of every yokel with a 5$ PC mic and some desktop recording software thinking they can make a video tutorial. PROTIP: recording yourself modeling something is NOT a tutorial. I don't go into a tutorial so I can watch sped-up footage of a pro with his quick-bound tools flying through a model and giving a bad narration of whats vaguely going on.

Get yourself sorted. God forbid you script some of the dialogue so you convey it properly, or maybe explain the tools you're using. These crappy tutorials are everywhere and its become a chore trying to find legitimate ones. It's just frustrating, when you're already hitting your head on the desk trying to figure something out.

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha ha I totally agree. this is just more a way of pimping their work than actually
    teaching you anything.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the artist is good and the end result is decent then I find that kind of video pretty useful.

When you're a beginner then yeah I agree, they are terrible and I too used to watch stuff with horrible audio and 8x speed and be like 'ok so how is this helping me?'.

But once you've got basics down then they become a nice insight into an artists workflow and often I'll pick up tips here and there. Especially hard surface vids, seeing how people model is definitely useful.

The way I see it is that they're two totally different levels of tutorial aimed at different levels of artist. I think Racer445 even prefaced one of his latest hard-surface vids by saying 'this is not a beginner tutorial' and he's right. I know what my hotkeys are, I know what the connect button does so why would I want the instructor to explain it to me every time he/she uses it.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    :)

I think this thread is pointless... You are hating on people who take their own time from their busy schedule to try and show their workflow (you should be able to pickup at least SOME techniques from watching a sped up version) or techniques they use to do something faster, or easier, or more efficient.

I do agree that some tutorials are harder to follow, but to make a thread hating on people trying to help the art community is silly and selfish. You also have a great knowledgeable community here that, for example, if you can't figure out what a person is doing to get a certain result, you can always ask.

And... if that's not working for you, you can always spend a shit ton of money and go to a 3D course that'll probably teach you the same amount of content that a 2 hour video can teach, but in a span of 2 - 3 years instead :)

/rant

Hater's gonna hate :P
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but Jason you just posted a load of those shit videos that don't explain anything and we just watch you fly around your pretty environment and then I rage because you didn't explain how you did EVERYTHING.

;p
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    If you *need* a video walkthrough to get something done...

"ur doin it wrong!"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always preferred text and pics over video. It's easier to come back to and search when procedures are so arcane that no one is likely to remember all the intricate steps involved.

Learning puppetshop where 100% of the documentation was video, was extremely frustrating. I ended up making my own help docs that focused on the specific things I used. When people have to do that, just to use your product I suggest going the extra mile and giving them the docs they need, especially when they pay for it! Which probably explains why its free now...

For general theory or demonstrations, video is totally fine. Especially if its just throw up on the web at no cost to me.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I get irritated with the video tutorials, when they would a keyboard shortcut to use a tool, and not verbally state what they pressed.

I'm with Vig though, I prefer the pic/text combo, when it's done correctly.

And Jason, I for one appreciate someone who puts the time into a tutorial. I've done them myself, and sometimes it can feel like a very thankless task. BUT, if you don't convey your information correctly, then you are wasting your time too. Why not make all that effort worthwhile for everyone?

*Puts away soapbox*
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Vig, agreed, videos might be nice at times to see something done, but useless for references and looking up a specific problem. Plus I have to admit that some peoples voices and tutorials shouldn't mix. ;)
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    I prefer text and pictures, the exception to the rule is: Most CGtuts+ vids, Eat3d and 3DBuzz. As they go through shortcuts and usually describe what they do :)
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    tutorials suck. they make things seem way easier than they actually are, and nobody actually follows the advice in them and takes it to heart. in my experience the only thing they learn is how to make a copy of whatever the presenter is making.

the one thing i've learned from making tutorials (and making actual tutorials later on with a good mic, hours upon hours of editing, proper audio mastering, and taking time to get it through the publisher's edits) is that they never teach the most essential skill that you need as an artist/intelligent human being—thinking for yourself.

even when i had a dollar store microphone i always tried to encourage free thinking in my videos, and it's very hard to do so without backlash from the viewers. if you remove parts and say "if you've modeled this much, you can figure out the rest" you get yelled at because they want step-by-step hand holding through the whole thing. if you suggest alternate methods, they'll never look into them. if you yell at them and repeat yourself over and over, they won't listen.

it also seems that when people finish tutorials and move on to try and make their own stuff they take the tutorial presenter's word as gospel, and never challenge themselves to try and better their work. it's why you see so many metal textures that look like mine or peterk's, so many props that look like eat3d's or kaleb's dumpster, and so many characters that look deformed because the person who made it did not feel the need to explore anatomy after watching the tutorial.

i've found that the problem lies within the tutorial format itself. when people go into tutorials they want step-by-step hand holding throughout the entire thing, and you MUST explain every tiny thing in detail or they get confused. this is understandable for new artists, but it harms them later on because they do tend to take the presenters word as the absolute truth and never branch out, never aim higher, and they usually seem less likely to take critique to heart.

anyway, what i've taken out of this whole experience truly is that people will never learn, and thus ends my rant.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this thread is pointless... You are hating on people who take their own time from their busy schedule to try and show their workflow

No, i'm hating on people who just record themselves modeling something. People who actually take time out of their busy schedule, sit down, and make a good tutorial have my many, many thanks. People who press "record" when they decide to model something and call it a tutorial because they did a rushed voiceover do not garner the same level of praise.

I suppose its easy to say "lol you need a video tutorial?" when you're already a pro, I tend to have similar opinions on other guitar forums. As with any skill you've always got the beginners wanting it to be easier. My rant in particular stems from the fact theres very little in the way of tutorials for hard surface modeling in Maya. It's not as abundant as Max tutorials so when I finnaly find something, and it turns out to be zero help, yea its a bit frustrating.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoodDreams wrote: »
    My rant in particular stems from the fact theres very little in the way of tutorials for hard surface modeling in Maya. It's not as abundant as Max tutorials so when I finnaly find something, and it turns out to be zero help, yea its a bit frustrating.

to be fair, creating a good modeling tutorial is a really hard task. modeling is extremely simple once you figure out all the technical aspects, and that'll only come after looking at a basic tutorial to figure out what that all means and lots and lots of time spent creating models.

that said, modeling with maya is the same as modeling for max/blender/xsi/lightwave/modo/silo/etc, the only difference is where the tools are located.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Im a hata. And I admit it. Most video tutorials waste my time. I want to know one or two things in their process. Yet I have to watch the f'ing thing to find those gems.

IF you cant be bothered to write up a tutorial outline at least for people, you know, who like to read versus seeing yet another narcissistic person "helping" others by tubing it. Please don't.

Or worse when I ask for that particular gem you point me to your video versus saying what it is. That is SUCH a waste of my time.
  • Stinger88
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    easy fix. if at any point you don't feel like you're learning any thing... stop watching the damn thing. if you watch the entire video, get pissed that you didn't learn anything and then post a rage thread about it... who's the idiot?

even if they use some hotkey you don't know, then do some homework and figure out what they did. you won't be a pro overnight by watching a video and having someone hold your hand. Half the tutorials/work files i learned from i had to deconstruct or reverse engineer to figure out how it worked. it might sound like a lot of wasted time but its the process of figuring out why and what someone is doing that makes you more productive.

and what video are you have such a big deal with?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    to be fair, creating a good modeling tutorial is a really hard task. modeling is extremely simple once you figure out all the technical aspects, and that'll only come after looking at a basic tutorial to figure out what that all means and lots and lots of time spent creating models.

See, I think that's part of it. It depends on what your purpose is for the tutorial. IMO, tutorials can't teach you creativity. I was looking for tutorials that helped me understand the tools, and I was disappointed when most did as the original post stated.... watching someone make a model.

The only time I want a tutorial showing how to model something, is if there is something technically difficult about how to form a particular shape. That's fairly rare for most tutorials.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I only have a problem when people charge money for the sort of "fapping to my own talent" tutorials simply because they're often just taking money from beginners while offering nothing in return other than the fact that Joe Wacomtablet is really good at his job.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    oddly enough I made a crap load of tutorials when I was a noob and didn't really know what I was doing (like 12 years ago, pre youtubez) but now, I think I know what I'm doing but I'm hesitant to attempt making any tutorials. Maybe I'm afraid someone will watch it and go "no no no! you're doing it all wrong!"
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    See, I think that's part of it. It depends on what your purpose is for the tutorial. IMO, tutorials can't teach you creativity. I was looking for tutorials that helped me understand the tools, and I was disappointed when most did as the original post stated.... watching someone make a model.

Exactly. I've been working with the software for awhile but lack fundamentals and a good understanding of using the tools, and the various rules and workflows of poly modeling. What I want is a good explination of how the tools work, and a nice demonstration of how the artist uses those tools. I could care less about just watching him fly through some nice model because I have zero intrest in re-creating whatever he's making.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    If you're really serious about learning then you should try buying a subscription to Eat3D, Gnomon or Digital Tutors. They'll have DVDs on the basic explanations of the tools and how to use them along with more advanced demonstrations when you're ready to absorb the information from the tutorials that aren't step by steps on how to make something.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    If you're really serious about learning then you should try buying a subscription to Eat3D, Gnomon or Digital Tutors. They'll have DVDs on the basic explanations of the tools and how to use them along with more advanced demonstrations when you're ready to absorb the information from the tutorials that aren't step by steps on how to make something.

I've been seriously considering it, Gnomon in particular because i've heard they have great Maya tutorials. I'm just worried about getting more of the same.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    If you're looking for well done explanations on the tools for Maya from what I've heard Digital Tutors would be your best choice. Eat3D has a great 3DS Max one but no Maya one and Gnomon apparently do mostly technique/demonstration DVDs.

Although I could be wrong about the Gnomon Maya DVD; I've never actually watched it. I'm just basing this off of what I've read throughout the forums as I only have the Eat3D DVDs.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea careful I've heard some of the main complains against some of the Gnomon "making of" stuff is that its a lot of "watch me model" queue dance music and disco lights.

I've only personally seen 2 of their videos and thought they where great.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/542/Hard-Surface-Shading-and-Texturing
    Which was by Niel Blevins who is a master at documenting things, so its no surprise his video is well thought out with high production quality.

The other was:
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/213/Head-Modeling-for-Games
    I was mostly looking for Maya tips and tricks and it was alright for that. I agreed with 99.999% of it. But I don't think it would of been too helpful for a beginner, he skipped over things they might throw their hands up at.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    If you're looking for well done explanations on the tools for Maya from what I've heard Digital Tutors would be your best choice.

This

As Vig said, a great deal of Gnomon stuff is exactly the stuff you said you didn't like in the original post.

Digital Tutors has got stacks and stacks of Maya stuff which is well planned, well delivered training which is actually pretty enjoyable.

If you want to follow game art worfklow specific stuff then Eat3D would be your ideal choice but they do focus on Max. As Racer mentioned, if you know your way around the software it really isn't an issue and you can follow along just fine.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally get your rage, but you have to keep in mind, you can be good at something but a terrible teacher, but you won't know you're a crap teacher until you have tried it. You may have been watching lost of people trying it, they're not being crap at teaching on purpose.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    geez, ungrateful much?

I get it, but these people still took the time to share with the world instead of keeping the time for themselves. This attitude of ' I WANT MORE ' is what gradually teaches pros to not share :)
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This attitude of ' I WANT MORE ' is what gradually teaches pros to not share :)

+1
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You know Racer, all negativity aside, it does come down to this;
    smart, motivated people will learn and get there eventually and might even be helped by a tutorial (I picked up some cool stuff from your tutorials for example), while the stupid people aren't going to be made into pro's by a tutorial.
    You shouldn't let that bad part of the audience make you think that tutorials don't have their use anymore.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I don't agree with is the idea that tutorials should be exempt from critisisim because, from a moral standpoint, we should all be grateful that someone bothered to do them at all.

Tutorials help me to learn, I fail to see why that's a problem or why it's seen as some kind of 'weakness' to use them. Nor do I understand why it's a bad thing to critisisize poorly made wankfest ego videos showing off your mad modeling skillz, when all you wanted was some simple instructional videos. Obviously, this is not directed at people who actaully take the time to create a good Tutorial and are honestly trying to help people learn.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Sharing is fine, but if you're going to present something as a tutorial, walkthrough or lesson (and this is really just wishful thinking) then it seems sensible to put some thought into what you're going to cover, making sure you are experienced enough to go fully in-depth and/or answer questions later if it's that sort of thing.

I mean, it's not like people need pros to share everything in-depth. A lot can be learned just from watching a timelapse or studying stills / renders. It's just bothersome looking for solutions and finding an excess of "tutorials" made by 14-year-olds who pirated X program yesterday. That's my peeve, anyway. I guess the rest of this thread is not really about that, is it. Since yon professional artists be pissed.

Hm. A tutorial is very different than a walkthrough; the former should actually teach the principles of something, the thought that goes into the work, whereas a walkthrough is treated like a paint-by-numbers by too many viewers. Those viewers seemingly don't have the mind to learn things on their own to begin with, so I don't think even the most amazing tutorial is going to necessarily enlighten them.

And I mean, there are different levels - you can teach the technical ins-and-outs of a program, or you can go into artistry and theory that can be applied to whatever application. I think there is a greater demand for "walkthrough" style introductory this-is-how-you-do-it videos, but in the end, if you ask me, the other style is much more valuable. Most programs have documentation; an advanced teacher (ie, professional sharing their ideas) should be able to focus on the practice in their videos. IMO.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoodDreams wrote: »
    What I don't agree with is the idea that tutorials should be exempt from critisisim because, from a moral standpoint, we should all be grateful that someone bothered to do them at all.

this is the truest thing i've read on these forums.

it's saddening to see so many people on here not listen to walls of detailed critique i've given them, and even people who get offended when i give them honest critique. just because they've shared something certainly doesn't make it good, in the same way that just because someone made something and posted it in the pimping section doesn't force people to praise it.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Racer445 wrote: »
    this is the truest thing i've read on these forums.

it's saddening to see so many people on here not listen to walls of detailed critique i've given them, and even people who get offended when i give them honest critique.

I might be going off-topic here but...
    To be honest, both taking and giving critisism is difficult in the beginning, and is something most people slowly learn.
    I'm not defending people that ignore good crits though. ^^
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like step by step video tutorials when I'm completely new to an app, text/pictures work just as well, but if I already know the app, I'm watching it at x8 until I see something cool or new, I think someone should create a hot key recorder that allows you to put the hot key combos as subtitles.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I prefer text tutorials, 15-20 images with walls of text explaining the thought process. That's what I learn from most. Or stuff just like phillipk's, show you an image, briefly tell you what he did to achieve it.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    one point I'd like to address is learning styles.
    People have different learning styles and will absorb information better if they are learning from their own personal style. there are many different models for learning styles but I think the simplest is the Fleming's VARK model. The model is split into 4 categories: visual learners, auditory learners, reading/writing learners, and kinesthetic or tactile learners. You guys can Google this stuff if you want to.

I think if you decide to make a tutorial you should try to incorporate these 4 learning styles. Of course, this would be extremely difficult but I'm sure someone here could come up with a decent format.

I found a pretty good website that's worth taking a look at.
    http://cft.vanderbilt.edu/teaching-guides/pedagogical/how-people-learn/
    Challenges in Developing Expertise

Being aware of these challenges can help the expert in a field to work more productively with novices in the field to develop their expertise:

The development and retention of new knowledge depends in large part on the relationship between what one is learning and what one already knows. Because novices in a field typically don’t know much of the content in that field, they have little to which they can relate the things they’re attempting to learn. So they retain less.

Since novices typically don’t grasp the fundamental principles in a field, they don’t see the patterns grounded in those principles. They tend therefore to adopt anidiosyncratic organizational scheme for what they are learning. This organizational scheme might function well enough in a particular context (e.g., in the particular unit they’re covering in a part of a class) but it doesn’t serve them well in other areas of the field. It doesn’t transfer well.

The expert’s fluency can conceal the very principles and strategies that the novice must learn in order to become more expert. These principles and strategies are often invisible even to the expert precisely because they are second nature. And they’re invisible to the novice observing the expert because they’re implicit in the expert’s work.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    I agree a lot with what Raccer has said. I mean, he's seen single-handedly the explosion of AK-74Us made after he made his tutorial (which is a very good tutorial). I didn't understand why someone would just copy the tutorial pretty much 1:1 and then post it up asking for crits. That's not why the tutorial is made. I can understand doing it so you can get a feel for it, but don't post it up like it's something that you made without just following steps.

I watch a lot of tutorials and usually come out learning 1 thing or 2 little things that makes me go, "hmm, that would be really got for X situation" not "oh that's how you make a robot, let me make the same robot and show off my skills!"

It's like a math teacher showing you how to do a math problem. Okay, now you have to use your free thinking to solve a similar problem, but not use the teachers aid to solve the EXACT problem again. That's just silly.

I have no problem with people making tutorials because I just love them. I got issues with people watching them, then posting up "their" work which is a copy of a tutorial.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah but Jason you just posted a load of those shit videos that don't explain anything and we just watch you fly around your pretty environment and then I rage because you didn't explain how you did EVERYTHING.

;p

Hehehe oh man the video series is BADD and I'm sorry for that :P But it was more of a postmortem, and I think I did an ok job with that... but I hear ya man, I'm sowwie :(

I DID come off like an ass in that post, I'm actually really sorry for wording it like that, my bad :( But I do completly agree with Xoliul's comment

"smart, motivated people will learn and get there eventually and might even be helped by a tutorial (I picked up some cool stuff from your tutorials for example), while the stupid people aren't going to be made into pro's by a tutorial."

Now I'm not saying you aren't smart or motivated, I just think that for those artists who you look upto today... they didn't rely on one form of learning, but in my experience, the most important form of learning is just doing.

I know this thread was about videos that don't explain, they just show their model, but yar... just putting in my 2 cents :P
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something else to remember (for those who have posted tutorials). This thread isn't saying that all tutorials are crap. I've seen several excellent tutorials posted from this community. The point I think the original post was trying to make, was that a huge percentage of them suck, and it's hard to filter the shit out before finding the gems. It seems like everyone here, who has done a tutorial, took offense to the original posts, as if it was directed at them.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    All issues of workflow overviews versus detailed step-by-step instructional videos aside, I think one thing just about all tutorials could benefit from is more explanations as to why certain things are done the way they are (or should be).

There's a lot of pretty vague 'don't ever cross the streams' kind of warnings in a lot of tutorials, both professional and amateur, without explaining why crossing the streams would cause every molecule in your body to explode at the speed of light.

Whether this is because the instructor doesn't know, can't explain it adequately or assumes the audience already knows, the result is the same - people doing things because they saw someone do it that way one time, without an explanation as to why they did it that way.

Reminds me of a story about a woman cooking a ham. Before putting it in the pan, she cut one end off the ham. Confused, her husband asked her why she cut the end off. She said 'because my mom always cut the end off.'

So they asked her mom why she cut the end off the ham before cooking it. 'Because my mom always cut the end off,' replied the woman's mother. So they go to the retirement home and ask Grandma why she cut the end off the ham before cooking it.

'Because it wouldn't fit in the pan otherwise,' said Grandma.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    danshewan wrote: »
    ...I think one thing just about all tutorials could benefit from is more explanations as to why certain things are done the way they are (or should be)...
    Was wondering when someone would mention this... it's a sad fact that far too many don't realise (read that as "not interested") that knowing why you do something is as fundamental to 'doing' as doing it.

Can't... seem... to find... the make art button... damn it!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    All issues of workflow overviews versus detailed step-by-step instructional videos aside, I think one thing just about all tutorials could benefit from is more explanations as to why certain things are done the way they are (or should be).

There's a lot of pretty vague 'don't ever cross the streams' kind of warnings in a lot of tutorials, both professional and amateur, without explaining why crossing the streams would cause every molecule in your body to explode at the speed of light.

In this case I feel like its up to the person viewing the tutorials to A: do research or B: view other tutorials and compare/contrast methods and C: ask people at polycount :p

I mean really, its up to you to learn what you want...if your path of knowledge doesn't lead you from one edge of the internets to the other....then your doin' it wrong. If some tutorials don't put it right in your face then you gotta look around and find out.

I understand what you are saying, and it would have saved me a lot of time in the past when I was learning how to do this stuff...but I wouldn't have learned a lot of things that I have if I had my hand held in one direction.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    By the way Racer, whenever somebody asks me if I know of any good video tutorials on the whole hard surface process I usually send them to your site. Your video tutorials are pretty entertaining as well as educational, and I don't even use Max. But the theories and methods you achieve in Max is definitely transferrable to Maya, which is what me and the rest of the students at Gnomon School use. So props on making video tutorials, hopefully you'll make more because there are some of us out there who definitely appreciate them.

Hell, I'm a characters guy but I still enjoy your videos, and I cracked up when you said "cause I'm da best mayng I deed it" when referring to long/thin polys during your AK videos.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tutorial I learned the most from, hands down, was Grant Warwick's Hard Surface Essentials. In the vein of Racer's complaints about people taking the wrong stuff away from tutorials, this one was more of a 'teach a man to fish' deal. There really wasn't anything specific made; you just learned how the tools actually worked and went and applied them on your own. I've gone through Racer's stuff as well and picked up a lot of little things I use regularly, but nothing set me on the path to success like Grant's (no offense Racer...I really did enjoy your tuts). On the other end, I've slogged through hours of sped up crap with all hotkeys and rambling, one-sided conversation and come away with a couple of things here and there I might apply, but nothing worth the time I put in.

I agree with several of the previous posts that there's worlds apart in someone hitting record and someone who really sets out to make a good tutorial. It's what makes (most) professional tutorials so useful; someone sat down and planned things out, outlined, refined, trial-and-errored their way into something useful before recording. It's a bit like a lecture from notes vs a free-form 'I'm going to talk about stuff' lecture. Most anybody can do the first with enough time and effort, but you've got to both know your shit and be a great communicator to pull the second one off.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Martin Krol's sped up videos of Zbrush sculpting pretty much taught me everything I needed to know about Zbrush :)

If you hate video's like those, you can always..you know, not watch it.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    I remember when i started out tutorials was where i started then explored on my own. Yeah sure for the first while i copied exactly, but i even found copying educational. this is only true for an absolute beginner.

I think 80% of tutorials in general can be disregarded because now your an amateur, and now you learnt how to ao bake 100% so you make a video helping beginners, in an attempt to bring yourself to pro-level. I did it myself.

In the end, good tutorials are highly useful. And i agree alot with what racer's said.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I have watched a ton of tutorials or read a bunch over my time so far. Over that entire time I have never copied any part of the tutorials. The reason for that is as Racer said before it doesn't help you learn. It teaches you how to copy what someone else did. To truly learn you must study the techniques done by the author of the tutorial and understand why they did what they did and how you can apply it to your work flow.

Now following a tutorial step by step can be ok when you are getting your feet wet and trying to learn the basics if it is a beginners tutorial but you need to know when a tutorial is too advanced for you. Too often do I see people trying to do a lot of high poly modeling when its clear they still dont have a good foundation in even basic modeling. You need to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run so dont try and go from beginner to professional industry quality over night because it just wont happen. You will end up having weak foundation skills which will hurt you in the long run and hurt every other process you want to add on top of the basic foundations such as high poly modeling.

I will agree from your posts that you do sound a tad ungrateful for free tutorials as it seems you haven't yet paid for one. Now I think everyone, even those who create tutorials should be subject to criticism as no ones work is perfect and critique and feedback is the only way to improve ones work. Just try to give more productive feedback instead of ranting about things you are getting for free :)
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started learning with free tuts too, and I did get a little frustrated with bad ones, but you can usually spot a bad one within the first 10 seconds and I just stop... meh... note username... next! I prefer books now that I've bought a few.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehehe oh man the video series is BADD and I'm sorry for that :P But it was more of a postmortem, and I think I did an ok job with that... but I hear ya man, I'm sowwie :(

Aaaargh Jason man I was being completely sarcastic (bad idea on the internet I guess).

I found your videos very helpful and thought it was very generous of you to give an in depth commentary on how you made a big, complete environment. You tackled a lot of difficult points and I think any aspiring env artist could learn a lot.

Sorry you took it wrong, I feel like an ass! I was just humouring the thread.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Unless you can't be arsed to read the manuals, DT is a learning site I've never got along with. They move at a snails pace, the voices always irritate beyond belief and they just generally come off as though they're teaching the retarded or people who can't read the manual. THOSE are the type of tutorials in which I think are pointless. There's a Mudbox series too, I forget where from but equally dire.

In my opinion there should be MORE real-life production overview/workflow type stuff than "click here and put in this number to get the same result" which I guess the OP is talking about. Sharing is everything.. but there are ways and means to do it.

Of course it's easy to say "oh well don't use/watch them", and that kind of attitude is creeping into every aspect of life now from the latest films to real-life news events.