Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

oil barrel

Hi there, this is one of my props I hope to use in my portfolio when I start applying to some studios, any critiques are helpful, thanks.

greenbarrels.jpg

greenbarreltexturesheet.jpg
Textures sizes 512x512

Replies

• BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Not gonna hire someone because of barrels. Unless of course they make them roll. Even than, probably still wouldn't.
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    BlvdNights, I'd give you a +1 if I could
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although it's true that you will need a lot more than barrels to get hired at a legit studio, it would also be a lot more helpful to provide an actual critique on the barrel itself so he could carry the knowledge onto other more elaborate projects.

Anyway, the thing that stands out the most is that it is reading more like stone than metal right now. Most of that has to do with the spec map. I would suggest bumping up the contrast first of all. Also, try to convey the stains more through the spec than the diffuse, and don't be afraid to add more stains on just the spec. Highlighting the edges more will help a lot too.

And this is very minor, but you could probably increase the uv space for the cap a bit, give it a little more resolution.

Keep it up :thumbup:
  • gsimpson91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realize I need alot more then a barrel.. this is just one small prop im using in an environment, and ya, I think I need spend more time on specs, thanks for the advice
  • Trevion3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevion3D polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah,

Blvd Nights is right, I'm sorry the competition is pretty Beefy,

check out some professional's portfolios and compare quality.

doesn't look to bad

but it doesn't look up to date with current games.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not too sure if that normal map is doing much.

I suppose with extra damage will add to the spec map and will add to the normal as well, but the normal just seems to be little cut out pieces and that's it.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if it is only a barrel its very, very basic. It's a tube with some extruded loops on the sides and in inset top. It's just not the kind of thing you put out there as an example of your work. If you're using it as a prop in an enviroment then great but it's not enough to stand on its own. If it was in a group shot collection of various objects in your scene, then it would be more open to general critque. But it dosen't get much simpler than a cylinder with rings on the side.
  • Pearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a couple of points about the model. The ridges on the sides should not be creased, they should be a smooth bulge out from the main cylinder. Also, the top and bottom edge of the barrel is not as clean and smooth as you have shown here. The top typically clamps on one end, and even if it has welded ends, there are fold and weld seams.
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/pixmac-preview/rusty-50-gallon-drum.jpg
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    It doesn't convey a sense of standing on the ground since there is no dark areas where barrel meets ground.

Ambient lighting + AO maps for barrel and ground, or perhaps SSAO, would solve this.

Agree with rest, show something more challenging/interesting in your portfolio.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it, I think you did a good job, I agree you'll you need more than a cylinder with a barrel texture to land a job but it shows promise.

Things you might want to ponder:
    - Too many scratches can be distracting and actually cover up detail instead of enhance it.

- It helps to be logical about your damage. Would you put your expensive flammable liquid in a banged up barrel or would you use a newer one? Knowing flammable liquid is inside (or will be put inside) would you treat the barrel roughly?

- Damage can be distracting when it repeats often. The same sticker worn the same way on 12-24 of these stacked in the corner, can look bad. But its more forgiving and understandable if its new.

- Help communicate to the player what the barrel will do. Is the material inside inert and can be used as cover? Or can it be used as a weapon. Don't leave them guessing. I think the logo looks like a gasoline company but all the other info on the barrel tells me its not dangerous.