Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Steam-Punk Model *A SPIDER*

steam_punk_spider_by_frozencore94-d2zm1g0.png

steam_punk_spider2_by_frozencore94-d2zm1ij.png

I just decided 2 - 3 days ago to model this , I did put alot of differences as it wouldn't make sense how the spider would be moving if I animate it ..

I never really looked at steam punk stuff before . only saw a piccy or 2 ... so it might look wierd in some parts ... that's why spam me with all the critique you got :)

Original Model Made By : Christopher Conte

Replies

• Klumpmeister
    This looks great! What I was thinking when I saw Steampunk Spider would be something like the spider in the movie Wild Wild West.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Better presentation plz.

Looks promising.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    deffinatelty recolor it. just base metal colors, i like lots of brass and copper, maybe some grey for steel.

getting rid of all the pink,green,blue would help alot.

i know you'll probably texture it, but messing around with the right colors first can steer you some. as is it looks more like plastic.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think you need to develop the articulation on the legs a bit more. It doesn't look like there'd be any flex other than at the hip joint. While it probably could function like that, give you've got the suspension between the knee joints, it seems like there should be a more distinct hinge or pivot point on each knee.
  • MegaMoogle
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    I'm going to be nitpicky here, but shouldn't a spider have 8 legs? Cool concept, though I'd recommend adding another pair of legs if you're going to call it a spider. :)
  • Caiden
    looks good, interested to see how it turns out.
  • Jonathan Marshall
    It's good. Looks like a mechanical spider. In all honesty, I don't see the steampunk aspect of it yet, it looks rather modern to be honest.

But I do like it either way.
  • FrozenCore#6
    currently trying to use v-ray . I never tried HD rendering before so any basic tut would help :)

@jackablade
    I don't think i understand what you mean o,o

@MegaMoogle
    not all spiders have 8 legs :P

Thanks for the replies
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    @MegaMoogle
    not all spiders have 8 legs :P

Actually, they do. If it doesn't have eight legs, then it's not a spider.

As for the model, I'd try to start moving towards some more complex shapes. Right now, it's very boxy and simplistic. Think about how to achieve some more organic shapes from the base primitives.

Even though it's supposed to be mechanical, you could still use photo reference of actual spiders to inspire the construction, and think about how the components would move and function.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Just take the time to watch this. It relates. Trust me.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk[/ame]
  • [SF]Three9
    ^ that was 100% worth the time to watch, oh my god hahaha
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Hah, that video made my day, thank you. :)
  • mrturtlepaste
    love that video, hahah. Anyway, mind posting the design you are working off of?
  • FrozenCore#6
    Sorry for the late update , been busy for a few days and will be again soon.

anyways here is my mental ray texture test , I'm still new to all the rendering settings and stuff so looks pretty crappy right Now :(

I Tried using vray but that seemed more complicated and it was gonna take an hour to render so i cancelled

1b75a8fc0116d0251341d6b2d1317e80-d300lmr.png

please crit. and if u know any good tut for using mental ray , share the link :)
  • [SF]Three9
    So you're expecting new colors + shiny renders with no modifications to the actual model itself to bring in new critique?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you asked for critique and got it. You've basically insulted every single person who posted something worthwhile by showcasing the same damn model in a new setting

it's been stated that...
    A) It doesn't look steampunk. I'm not really a steampunk fan but I'd know it if I saw it, and I don't see it here. Go research your genre to get ideas for how to fix this. It isn't a bad thing all in all. You have a good starting point to jump off of, just find ways to manipulate it to look more steampunk

B) It's been stated by yourself that all spiders do not have 8 legs and this is false. This leads me to believe you aren't using any reference for this model what-so-ever, and are just doing what you want. Research doesn't have to be boring; it's inspiration! Research will make your work thousands of times better, so I'd suggest this!

C) Colors....well you fixed that :D

D) The leg critique via Jackablade, depending on the actual intended size and purpose of this spider, possibly could be 100% correct. I personally feel like the legs need to be revisted, but if it's suppose to be a small thing or is intended to move very awkwardly then I don't think you need to change it. If that isn't the case, the legs don't really seem like they would work well at all
  • FrozenCore#6
    Thank you for taking the time to post this .

as for the critiques , by not editting the model i don't mean that i don't care . i just dont have much time this year so i'll not often remodel something or add something except if it's critical and i'll try to fix my errors in the next models :)

i'll be editting some stuff here , *when i get enough time that is*

ummm as for the legs i looked into some images again and seems they're photoshopped so thnx for the info and I am using a photo of christopher conte's original design and here it is :
    480x400_christopher-conte-s-spider-sculptures.jpg
    I'm using a bigger refrence tho :P

as for the size and shape if the legs I'm still thinking about it , i still don't know if i'm gonna make this a very small model or *average hand* size So I might have some modifications there :)

I'll update when i redo the textures or add some changes to the model cya then
  • mrturtlepaste
    I also think you should take some time to revisit the legs. Not only for the size as you have mentioned, but for the rigidity in your design of the top joint. The way you have it now it seems a bit too chunky and at more of an acute angle than your refs. If you open the angle up a bit the spider will have a more natural looking stance. Anyway, keep it up it is looking really cool.
  • [SF]Three9
    sorry if I came across a bit brash

That concept you have is pretty awesome...I definitely see how your design is flowing based on the concept, but it's definitely missing the proper adjustments

I'm assuming you are going for a replica yes? So you....ergh....nm paintover inc (with mouse, don't judge how awful it is! :| )

So at first I started just moving stuff around and that ended up looking kinda bad, so i drew opacity over it

T9paintover.jpg
    I don't believe my paintover shows the concept 100%, but it'll steer you in the right direction. Your overall body shape is too large and clunky. The concept you are working off of is very sophisticated and tight fitting. It obviously is mechanical yet retains that nimble elegance of a black widow spider (google that for reference maybe? might help)

From what I can tell from the, idk, 10 minutes of looking at this image, the legs rotate 1 way at that first bulbous joint right before the wire underneath...I think where that piston connects to the downward part slightlys up and down that piece as the leg retracts back? and the last 2 sections of the leg sorta act like shocks based on pressure and retract inwards a bit when hit touches the ground

Also I noticed your model is missing penis so I fixed that

hope that helps

**edit**

Here is another crappy image sorta describing how my mind sees the joints working. Remember this may not be accurate to the concept
    T9paintover2.jpg
  • FrozenCore#6
    Thanks alot for the pix and here is an update on the mechanism of the top joints

I added the moving mechanism for the top joint which seem to work out but now i don't have any space for the rotation mechanism any help?

as for the penis .... I'll skip this part for now :P

As for the body size i resized it down a bit with some modifications at the back area to give some space for the back legs.

steampunkspider.png
    sleg.png

Edit:

I Just Spotted a smoothing error in the leg's... Dunno *U'll Propably Know Where It Is*

Fixed Now :)
  • tex_cookiedough
    the legs look heaps better now man, good job XD
  • dansher
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    do you have a shot with more light onto the body?

also i think a dark gray material would look better for the little rubber bits on the legs(for some reason iv gone completely blank on what thats called lol)
  • mrturtlepaste
    yeah, those legs are looking slick now. well played.
  • FrozenCore#6
    Ok done some edits on the leg to fix up the mechanism and started rigging but i got a wierdo error .

watch this vid , / read the description and tell me woot u think :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwvmjLSpHZI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwvmjLSpHZI[/ame]

Description : :3

"sorry for bad quality but was kinda in a rush .... And Ew I Sound like 30 -.-
    well sucky mic. and sucky converter

anyways if u got any advice plz post it up , thanks in advance"
  • FrozenCore#6
    O,o Well Doesn't Seem That Alot Of People Are into Rigging ... Anyways Here's Another Update :) Enjoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbWFLhRGHOA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbWFLhRGHOA[/ame]