Home Technical Talk

the modeling and texturing process

How do you build complex models? If you want to make a big mansion, or maybe a building or an airplane, car, or whatever..

Will you create the texture sheets before start the modeling process? You do some research, get reference images, make a few sketches and start modeling it.. or.. you know exactly what textures will you use for each part of the model before getting your hands dirty?

Replies

• Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Get tons of reference and start with a simple blockout to get the proportions right. Then start modeling, one piece at a time...after you're done modeling, unwrap and then paint the textures...at least if you want to used a uniquely unwrapped texture (like a character, prop or vehicle).

A mansion you would most likely either texture using tilable textures or like this and you'd need the textures before starting to model, or at least before you start unwrapping.
  • Dastan
    ok, I m doing fine in the modeling department. I gather the texture, make the block-out to get the proportion and idea of the general concept, but I'm a little lost in the texturing/rendering department.

I know photoshop well, and how to bake maps in Maya and mudbox, but it is more like I am so new to the process of actually texturing that I get lost in the process, the steps, and planning of textures and maps.. etc..
  • bbob
    Start simple and small to get the process down, then go increasingly bigger and more complex..