Home Technical Talk

3ds Max: Custom button layout in toolbars

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
Yet another question from my side.
3dsmaxtoolbarbuttonlayout.jpg

What I'd like to see is basically a empty toolbar where I can create groups that I can fill with the commands from the customize toolbar menu.

Do you know of any scripts that give you a customizable menu like this?
What I tried so far is "TiM Scripts HyperTree", but it's not dockable to the toolbars and a little strange to use IMO. I am looking for a ICshape like layout.

Are there any free scripts that offer this functionallity. Or can I do it my own with visual MaxScript? I am not realy experianced with Maxscript, shure one can do this kind of script, but can I do this too?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out MZP Rucksack by renderhjs
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    MZP Rucksack does not support 64bit or am I mistaking?
    At least I get this activeX error when installing it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like not... see the last post in that thread.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    At some point he did post about a activeX-free version, but there is nothing like that from what I've seen.
  • ikerCLoN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikerCLoN polycounter lvl 10
    So what you want is to dock a floater window you did? If so, what you have to do is:

1) Create a Dialog or a Rollout Floater. You can use the UI you generated using the Visual MAXScript Editor.
    2) Register that using cui.RegisterDialogBar.
    3) Once you have registered that floater, it's able to be docked using cui.DockDialogBar.

Look for these commands on the MAXScript Help File. I'm sure you'll get it work.

Cheers!
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry for the confusion, I did not create any floater so far.
    I just want to customize the toolbar in a more advanced way, with groups and put buttons into rows not only in one line.
    The visual max script floater was just to show the layout I aim for.
    I got not much experiacne with maxscript yet, but I will keep that "cui.RegisterDialogBar" in mind since it seems verry usefull, thanks!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want to customize the toolbar in a more advanced way, with groups and put buttons into rows not only in one line.

Right, so inkerCLoN described exactly how you can do this, using visual maxscript. It's actually much easier than it might seem at first glance.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Adobe recently released a 64bit beta version of the Flash Player for Windows (a week ago or so). I was stuck because 3dsMax would only let me embed a 64 bit activeX or 64 bit IE browser window with 64 bit plugin of flash plugin.
    Once that situation sorts out a bit on adobe's side I might get back to it.

Nysuatro worked on something that is somewhat related:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73825
    its a viewport menu that can be customized, the recent versions support custom *.ms and mzp and msx files. So it can be pretty much customized with custom commands and scripts.

If you want to dive into MaxScript yourself: it is not really that hard - and what you illustrated in your first screen is not to difficult to do. Most common main toolbar buttons are accessible in Maxscript via single commands.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    renderhjs:
    Yes I've seen this to. I was not aware it supports maxscript files tough.
    I only lacks of the ability to put some default max commands into (bevel or such). Also I dislike it being right inside the viewport :/

I somewhat got a idea how to do this myself in maxscript (I got some c++ and JAVA background so the theory should be much the same).
    Simply create buttons that execute the script in the given Folder path( just like it is done inside some macroscripts). Then I need to figure out how the Max standart commands like belvel and such are adressed.

Eric:
    Does this mean I can just desing the floater in visual maxscript, "register" it so it appears on the screen and then simply drag and drop the commands into the empty floater?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, you still have to edit a script.

Drag and drop only works with an empty toolbar, and has limited formatting options. Though there is a setting in Preferences for how wide you want the text buttons to be... that might get you closer to your goal.