Home General Discussion

Needing Some Career Advice

Howdy!

I'm new to the boards, checking out the various artists' websites on the net for some expert opinion. :)

Essentially, I've come here to ask you more experienced artists if you could give me a little advice on career choice. I'm 24, and I've been doing a lot of research lately, trying to assess what I want to do, and I've always been drawn to 3D in both art and programming, but I'm not sure what the 'artistic' pre-requisites are, and I have a mix of other skills, so I'm wondering what my best path would be for movie/game industry.

To make it simple, this is what experience I do have (apologies if it looks like a CV, I'm just trying to illustrate a skillset):

- Writing: strongest skill, have published numerous novelettes online and negotiating a book contract
- Programming: day-time job & degree (C# UI development), also strong. Did graphics in OpenGL
- Maya: fair. Did my uni project with it, focusing on MEL. Have been doing tutorials...etc mainly in animation and a little rendering
- Visual arts: weak. I have basic drawing (self-taught landscape drawing but no human anatomy), very basic Photoshop

Now, I have a 9 hour programming day, which leaves me with about seven hours of real free time. Four of those already go into writing, which leaves me with three hours a day of self-learning. I'm very interested in either animation or visual effects, and considering compositing. My thoughts:

- Animation: weak drawing skills: how much will this hurt me? I keep hearing it's fundamental for modeling. How about animating?
Since I only have three hours a day, learning visual arts and Maya would take a long time. On the flip side, I'd love to eventually combine an art role with writing experience and move into design.
- VFX: seems like programming experience would help with MEL programming and RenderMan in particular. Again, speculation given it's C-based syntax.
- Compositing: again, not sure what artistic background is needed, though of the three I think this is the one I'm least enthusiastic about.

To make a long story short (for whomever is still awake), I'd love to get into animation, but I'm not sure if three hours a day.

I'm enthusiastic and determined to put those three hours a day in (and more on w/end), religiously, and I know I have the discipline for it because I've sustained it with my writing schedule. I've looked into training programs like Escape (I live in London) and considered doing one-two years self-taught, and then drop the C# job and start the training course. If I get a job, I would then be able to focus on animation/VFX full time.

My question for you guys, then, is whether you think animation is a viable route for me, or if you think I'm 'blatantly suited for VFX programming' or maybe should just stick to my day job and writing and stop writing wall-sized posts. :)

All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

--Will

Replies