Home General Discussion

Breaking Into The Industry Advice.

D R E A M N T
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
D R E A M N T polycounter lvl 13
This was the answer from a guy over at Collision Studios when I asked him if he had any advice for breaking into the game industry.Just thought I would share it with you guys.

Hi Kaiga --

It's challenging to get into the game business right now, since with the economic crisis, so many studios have gone out of business and so many 3D artists with many years of experience are out of work. Budgets are slimmer than ever and few surviving studios, if any, have the luxury of being able to take on junior people any more. They need team members who can hit the ground running as soon as they're brought on board, and have been-there, done-that in every situation when it comes to making games.

My advice for you as a 3D artist is, if you have no "relationship-IN" somewhere in the game industry would be to look towards the film and visual effects industry for opporunities, and less toward the game industry -- at least for the time being. Work on high-poly, high-end models and environments to add to your portfolio. Make your portfolio as visually rich and pleasing as possible for that crowd. Never show them works in progress, only finished, polished pieces.

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I pretty much disagree with this opinion on all levels. Plenty of studios are hiring juniors, game budgets are still high.

There hasn't been, from what I can tell, any incredibly substantial closure of studios. This stuff happens all the time. Studios close, studios open.

Studios absolutely will hire people with little to no experience if they are talented, passionate, and appear to be semi-decent human beings. I can't speak on the film industry as I've never worked in it, but what I can tell you is that I know plenty of people who have, and left to work in games.

It's a good thing you posted this, because hopefully other experienced people on polycount can give you more advice, as I feel like you've been given a mouthful of rather wrong advice here.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    We recently hired a Jr. UI artist straight out of school, the position was open for months. There are jobs for the noobs ;)
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I was going to type up a post but I might as well just direct you to these podcasts: http://gim.acanaday.com/

;)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    dreamnt, what did YOU think of his reply?
  • D R E A M N T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A d a m - Honestly I felt like I was just bothering him or something.Like that annoying little kid who's asks you a thousand questions so you try to brush him off with any ol answer.
    Here's the convo prior to the message I posted first:

ME - Are there any 3d artist positions available at your studio?

HIM - Currently there are several artist positions that are open.

We are looking for senior 2D Flash Artists/Animators/Actionscripters as well as senior 3D Artists and Animators skilled in 3D Studio Max.

By senior we mean 5+ more years of work in a production environment, preferably with several shipped game titles to their credit.

ME - Crap.I don't qualify.Any advice for getting jobs in my field as a 3d artist?

HIM - It's challenging to get into the game business right now, since with the economic crisis, so many studios have gone out of business and so many 3D artists with many years of experience are out of work. Budgets are slimmer than ever and few surviving studios, if any, have the luxury of being able to take on junior people any more. They need team members who can hit the ground running as soon as they're brought on board, and have been-there, done-that in every situation when it comes to making games.

My advice for you as a 3D artist is, if you have no "relationship-IN" somewhere in the game industry would be to look towards the film and visual effects industry for opporunities, and less toward the game industry -- at least for the time being. Work on high-poly, high-end models and environments to add to your portfolio. Make your portfolio as visually rich and pleasing as possible for that crowd. Never show them works in progress, only finished, polished pieces.

That last response to me I felt,was not thought threw.It was just him spewing things out but the fact that hes working at a studio and i'm pretty inexperienced confused me on if it was truth or not(Talking about how scarce he said jobs were and the advice he gave me).Thats why I posted it up to get you guys insight on it.Since you all know the industry and can give me a legit answer and some facts I can trust.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    They say that ship titles shit to scare off the weak and the uncertain ones i feel?? cause thats a little crazy
  • D R E A M N T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean.

5 years.

with 7 S H I P P E D titles.

I feel like thats overkill but Idk how it works so.My words are worthless at the moment Lol.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Lots of times, the "experience" requirements aren't set in stone, and if you have the portfolio to back yourself up, you can land jobs that ask for a few years of experience.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    being good matters most. Experience helps you deal with all the other stuff in game development you won't see with just making models at your house.

Stuff like... unique pipelines, crunching, methodologies, people, and all that other stuff you can't exactly teach yourself because it's constantly changing.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I mean.

5 years.

with 7 S H I P P E D titles.

I feel like thats overkill but Idk how it works so.My words are worthless at the moment Lol.

Err... His e-mail said SEVERAL, not SEVEN.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Stuff like... unique pipelines, crunching, methodologies, people, and all that other stuff you can't exactly teach yourself because it's constantly changing.

and varies between studios, depending on the size of the studio, the engine of choice, target specs, budget, deadlines, etc etc.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Getting in is the exact same as its always been. If your portfolio looks like it is done by a veteran, then your golden. If your portfolio looks student, then you will be passed over for someone better unless they have noone else (which is rare). There are junior positions, but even those are filled by people with stellar portfolios. Its all about what you bring to the table. Want a job? make a folio worth the job. Simple as comparing your work with screen shots from your favorite games you want to work on. If it matches, your doing good. If it doesnt, keep pushing. In my experience, shipped titles and such are nice to see on a resume for HR, but mean litle when fellow artist are looking through portfolios for potential new talent. so dont stress it too much.

Not much else to say.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I've been trying to fill a junior position for a few weeks now. (If you live in SF and are looking for work pm me!)

The toughest part is that it's all about being in the right place at the right time. Junior positions typically don't have relocation in the budget so you have to hope that a company in your city has an opening. This is obviously not as big of a deal for people in cities like Los Angeles or San Francisco, but it makes it very difficult for people trying to break in from other cities.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    STRIKER wrote: »
    They say that ship titles shit to scare off the weak and the uncertain ones i feel?? cause thats a little crazy

I think so too. The idea behind the statement is "if he shipped that many stuff and has that many years he's good and he knows what he's doing". Of course there's people with much less xp who may be at the same level.
    So yeah, the statement is supposed to scare people with little experience away so the HR dept doesn't get clogged up with too many applications.

Then again if you have at least some xp and good skills, I'd apply anyway. Because what if they just don't find this 7 titles 5 years guy? They may settle for less, given that the portfolio rocks. And that guy may just be you!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    STRIKER wrote: »
    stimpack wrote: »
    Getting in is the exact same as its always been. If your portfolio looks like it is done by a veteran, then your golden. If your portfolio looks student, then you will be passed over for someone better unless they have noone else (which is rare).

~ Those two quotes are pretty much everything I would echo.

I applied for a character artist postion straight from school to every studio I could. Most of them weren't hiring and none had junior positions advertised. Some got back to me and eventually I got interviews and finally a job.

You need to think of these studios as businesses. If you look worth the money, they will find room for you. That's all it comes down to. The whole thing where they say "Experienced Necessary" literally translates as "You better know what they fuck your doing or don't even try it".

Nobody can stop you if your willing to make yourself desirable.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When we do any hiring it is always about demonstrating the person can do the job. It's more about portfolio and less about the persons work experience and even less about their education.

We recently hired a few contractors and even passed on a few pros, too jaded and it was going to be an uphill battle getting them to work the way it needed to be done instead of the way they prefer to work. All but one where brand new hires. They all preformed really really well and several kept up their job hunt while contracting and landed jobs.

Sadly the way the conversation went it looks like he doesn't think you're ready for the positions they have open and was trying not to be a dick while still telling you to go work on stuff. I suspect they could be full up on newbie's and want someone with a few more tricks up their sleeve.

I don't know where you or he pulled the requirements from but according to their website it doesn't sound that scary.
    3D Artist:

Responsibilities:
    - Work on a variety of projects producing fully realized 3D assets
    - Handle multiple tasks and perform a variety of art related assignments on tight deadlines
    - Possess an understanding of integration of art assets with game development

Requirements:
    - Minimum of 2 years experience and/or at least one shipped console title
    - Experience using 3D Studio Max or Maya
    - Able to render high quality textures using Adobe Photoshop

Pluses:
    - Wii and DS experience
    - Strong traditional art background
    - Excellent intrapersonal skills

The 2 years or 1 shipped title thing is in almost every listing and as others pointed out is their way of saying "we need proof you can do the job and working in a production environment won't be a total shock to you"

When you see an experience requirement the normally mean the following:
    "Have you had your ego battered and walked away intact and able to function?
    (We're going to hire you to work not rock yourself to sleep under your desk).

Can you take critique and do changes even if you don't agree with them?

(Most new people pitch a fit and stomp around plotting to slash tires and release killer bees into peoples glove boxes)

Can you view your art as a product and divorce the majority of your emotional attachments and internal projections from "the product" while still remaining passionate and optimistic?
    (Your title is artist, but you're really Joe working on the digital assembly line)

How do you handle baldness?

(Can you crank this stuff out on a tight deadline and still have time to tweak it and not pull your hair out?)
    It's always easier to ask someone "how have you handled these in the past" vs hoping that a newbies overly optimistic projections will be right on the money.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Right now, the industry is extremely competitive in terms of the job market. There's a lot of high-caliber talent that has been recently laid off. So you're having compete with extremely capable professionals with tons of experience. It's a buyers market as far as employment is concerned. The very few studios and publishers who are hiring right now have their pick of the litter. They can make ridiculous demands like "5 years of experience" and "7 shipped titles" because there are plenty of people out there who fit that bill and are currently looking for work.

Personally, I gave up on the traditional entry path for this industry years ago. It just seemed a little much for me when all you're really aspiring to is another corporate job. Granted, its a corporate job making 3D game art, but still. I've done my time inside the belly of the beast. (technically, I still am) Now I'm doing this the HARD way. I'm working on making my own game. Not from scratch, but damn close to it. Its taking for ever and its really freaking hard, but its also fairly satisfying, and is definitely expanding my skill set.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    My first plans were also to enter the gaming industry and stay there, almost also nearly landed an internship at Funcom(after several conversations, they agreed that my age would be a problem). When that failed I took a good look at my life and my abillities and deemed them needing before I would go out and surch again. around 8 months later I an interview at an arch viz company here in Denmark and I've been there for around 7 months and enjoying it. My passion is stil game-art, but I couldn't say no to an internship in Denmark even though it was arch viz.

I still plan to make a break into the industry when I get older.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Dont get discouraged, keep looking! Keep trying and keep working on your portfolio and it will happen sooner than you think. :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    does he not mind your conversations being posted on a forum?
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    My first plans were also to enter the gaming industry and stay there, almost also nearly landed an internship at Funcom(after several conversations, they agreed that my age would be a problem). When that failed I took a good look at my life and my abillities and deemed them needing before I would go out and surch again. around 8 months later I an interview at an arch viz company here in Denmark and I've been there for around 7 months and enjoying it. My passion is stil game-art, but I couldn't say no to an internship in Denmark even though it was arch viz.

I still plan to make a break into the industry when I get older.

How old are you?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    bring a hammer.
    and some burglar's tools. also a flashlight.
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    How rude posting a personal conversations. I would be pissed if i was trying to help someone out, then they posted my responses on a public forum.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xk0be wrote: »
    How old are you?

When I applied for the internship I was 17-18(the conversations went past my birthday) and at the moment I'm 19. I'm done with my internship in April 2012.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah remove the name. It doesn't look good for the people who are putting time aside from their work to reply to you. You should be thankful for that at least :) The last thing you want is your name getting passed around in a negative way.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    ALPHAwolf wrote: »
    How rude posting a personal conversations. I would be pissed if i was trying to help someone out, then they posted my responses on a public forum.

My thoughts exactly.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    When I applied for the internship I was 17-18(the conversations went past my birthday) and at the moment I'm 19. I'm done with my internship in April 2012.

DAMN, that's a long internship.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    DAMN, that's a long internship.
    Here in Denmark, an internship is usually connected to an education. In my case I'm doing a 2,5 year education called Digital Multimedia Animator(Yeah, makes no sense) that requires an internship position at a company doing either web, flash animation, 3d and so on. The internship is divided into some different stages that decides my pay and how much time I spend at school.

It's not a convensional internship as you have in the US :)
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My thoughts exactly.

x2.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Have to agree, really low to post a private discussion up for public scrutiny.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Have to agree, really low to post a private discussion up for public scrutiny.

Only if it's something embarassing to the person who wrote it. Or if it was said in confidence. Not every conversation is secret just because it didn't happen in public.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I Agree with aesir.

He asked for advice and then he asked other people how accurate the advice is, I don't see that as rude or disrespectful. He just wanted to know how accurate it is.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I totally see what you guys mean. I just think out of courtesy it would have been better to simply say an industry insider, or just something to keep the name out since it's irrelevant anyways. eh carry on.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    aesir wrote: »
    Only if it's something embarassing to the person who wrote it. Or if it was said in confidence. Not every conversation is secret just because it didn't happen in public.

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Here in Denmark, an internship is usually connected to an education. In my case I'm doing a 2,5 year education called Digital Multimedia Animator(Yeah, makes no sense) that requires an internship position at a company doing either web, flash animation, 3d and so on. The internship is divided into some different stages that decides my pay and how much time I spend at school.

It's not a convensional internship as you have in the US :)

Desvaerre Zpanzer your in a bad place right now to do internships if its game related. The Danish game dev industry is not doing too well at the moment and there doesnt seem to be much in that market,what a shame Denmark isnt like Sweden in this regard.