Home General Discussion

GDC 2011: Should I go?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 17
A few friends of mine and i have been going over whether or not we should go to gdc. None of us have ever been before and it seems that it would be really beneficial for us to go. Only thing is however, we know nothing about the event. The website has bits of info on what is basically going on, but i thought it may be a good idea to ask people who have gone what their opinions of the event are. I know for sure i wont be able to afford an all access pass, and im still unsure about choosing between a summit pass or a main conference pass. Any insight on this would really be appreciated, and hopefully some of you could give me enough info that would convince me to definitely go.

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I went last year and had a blast hanging out with a bunch of Polycounters (new and old). I bought a full access pass and I don't think I attended a single talk. Actually... The only talk I did attend, was Ben Mathis' talk on Bodypaint, which was free.

A lot of the talks are aimed at programmers, pipeline stuff, indie developers, management. You'll get the odd art related one, but most don't reveal anything you can't find on the internet anyway. As an artist, you won't get much from them unless they are workshops rather than talks.

Having access to the main floor where all the booths are, that's what you REALLY want. It's a good place to network, have your folio reviewed by Art Directors from AAA studios, win free shit, play test some of the games and a bunch of other shit.

The biggest thing I got out of it last year, was meeting tonnes of new people and catching up with old friends. Making a great deal of contacts and just having an awesome week goofing around. I'll definitely be trying to make it out there again next year.

Oh, and make sure you bring a printed folio and not just something on a disc. Most of the stalls were refusing to take printed resumes and demo reels on disc. Have a business card and a nicely printed folio. Alternatively, bring a small netbook or something (or an iPad if you swing that way) that way you can show turn arounds of your models and all that jazz.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I went last year and had a blast hanging out with a bunch of Polycounters (new and old). I bought a full access pass and I don't think I attended a single talk.

Which pass would you recommend to someone who has never gone before?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Firstly... I actually got the Main Conference Pass, not the Full Access Pass as I mentioned in my first post. My apologies.

commador, it really depends on why you're attending the GDC.

Are you wanting to attend the talks? Before you answer that, have you looked at the timetable or what talks are available (chances are there won't be anything up yet for next year, but certainly have a look at this years timetable, chances are the talks will be of a similar nature).

If your answer is no, then don't get a full access pass or the main conference pass.

If you are attending to network, have your folio reviewed, meet new people and just hang out for the week, then the expo pass is for you.

There are the tutorials and summit meetings that happen the first two days of the conference. I can't remember exactly what they were, but I believe they were primarily business based and not a great deal to do with art. So by not attending those you'll have halved your pass price just on that alone.

Also get an early registration pass... You'll save even more money doing that than getting your pass late. Also book hotels early as well! With thousands of people flocking to SF for that week, hotels become slim pickings and you'll end up in a really sketchy hotel and paying high prices too.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    What is your primary reason for going? That's the first question you will need to answer before I can help you decide.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis: my question was actually answered very well by Emil. But my main concern is networking and critique. I was not too interested in the summits or whatnot, and also wanted to get insight on any lectures.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    It was amazing, I had a blast.
    Open bar parties,
    kickass polycounter meetups and sketch sessions,
    free stuff,
    new game tech,
    portfolio reviews by top names at top studios [Blizzard, Naughty Dog, Insomniac,
    and of course, TURRRRRBBBOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds great cody. im leaning more and more towards a definite yes in going. more than likely ill get the expo pass. but it doesnt say expo give access to parties on that option.. though it doesnt say that it doesnt give access so who knows. :D

really looking forward to it anyway, the only event ive ever been to was the EvolveCG event that took place in ft lauderdale for the past 2 years, and im sure that GDC will blow that event right out of the water. still looking for more opinions tho. just to further the decision.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Going to GDC was the best investment I ever made, at least at the time of me looking for a job. super awesome, if only for meeting new people.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I suppose mostly to network. Thanks for the insight, I've a much better idea of what to expect next year without spending boatloads of cash. :D
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I got the expo pass. Btw parties aren't something you can get a pass for, I just knew some peps, and word of mouth kind of thing. Although, Disney gave away beer on the floor. I thought it was funny they weren't asking for ID's and you only have to be 18 to get into GDC. Disney approves underage drinking!!!!!
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    if you are coming to Austin GDC see you shoule come!

Just because Austin is a bad ass place to hang out!