Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P- Typicalhouse

Z3D

so. Polycountres
this is a small house that I'm working for practicing texture, uv, low (LOW) poly and unity

wip1-postagem.jpg

I didn't a concept because already had in my mind, but suggestions are always welcome!
thks!

Replies

• Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    wip2-postamgem.jpg
    wip3-postagem.jpg

these textures are spending me
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    is that going to be the final color scheme?

I take it no...
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    I'm looking for something realistic with less polys as possible and without a normal map, using textures from the internet
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Z3D wrote: »
    I'm looking for something realistic with less polys as possible and without a normal map, using textures from the internet

I think you should use a much more cleaner base wood image for this wood texture and then build upon whatever detail or weathering you would like to add to it. Right now you have a texture which has a very obvious detail which tiles all over the place.

If you plan to have different colored boards,that will add a little variety to the wood but do it really subtly. So when you get up close you will see this difference in color but at a distance it isnt too obvious.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You should probably rethink your approach, you could get a lot better texture resolution with some nice tiling textures. You could have 2-3 different texture sheets (512 maybe), smaller ones that tile well, then use vertex painting to paint grunge or use overlays to add damage.

Check this out :)

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironmentTexturing?highlight=%28\bCategoryEnvironment\b%29
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    thats a nice link chris:)
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Right now the model seems pretty unoptimized, which could make it harder to unwrap. I'd say that things like that chimney should be floating meshes. You'd save a ton on poygon count, allowing you to add more detail in places where they could really use them. Since there's no inside to the house, you don't need to have everything connected to the actual box. It almost looks like you used Max's default boolean tools to intersect floating geo.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Just wondering, what is your Tri count, since it matters and I see a LOT of ngons.
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Wow!did not expect so many comments.thanks everyone

ok let's share by...
    -JO420- I started up with something cleaner I added a little dirt other textures aulterada was not much of the original ;and it's true still pretty obvious

-chrisradsby- this Link changed my life man!Thank you very much .At first I had in mind to use tiles for everything, but would not know how to use convincing wooden walls and roof, I feel ashamed to say that I know nothing about # vertex painting. I still have much to change, I want your tips for help me

-DOG-GY- I use the smallest possible number of polys. You talk about not connect to the chimney and leave them home? time to use the UVs I put it all together
    but I can change

-Wonkey- sorry about that, what are ngons?

so, thanks again for the comments
    I am working to improve it
    uptexturas.jpg
    uptexturas2.jpg
    (Slow and Steady)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    n-gons are polygons with more than 4 sides. I don't see how that matters, as long as the edges are all turned correctly. Sure it's not pretty, but engines just see triangles anyways.

personally, i think 1024 is too large a texture for such a low tri building. i'd love to see it kept low spec.

and reading "using textures from the internet" made me cringe. time to learn how to texture!

agreed with the comments on not keeping things 'water-tight'. no real reason to, and you'd save an awful lot of tris.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D wrote: »
    -Wonkey- sorry about that, what are ngons?
    Ngon's any polygon with more than 2 triangles. The example on the far right.
    It's for this reason just about everyone counts triangles instead of polygons.
    PolygonsExplained.jpg

I think you could mirror some details like the roof and size up the whole texture to take full advantage of the space. The chances of players seeing both sides of the roof and noticing they tile are pretty low unless this is for a top down game.

Unfortunately you've already begun creating the texture so its just going to make a blurry mess if you scale it up now. But keep that in mind for the future.
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Hi Sectaurs ,thanks for explaining n-gons!

the 1024 map is the max I can use, I want to try it smaller, but I don't want to lose quality.

texture-edit.jpg
    (after that I go to church confection)hihi...

Vig thank you for this graphic (better impossible)
    then my model should be about 500-600 tris, this is not very good ...

I could have mirrored a lot.X:poly127:
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Then...
    I'm getting close to a result that I wanted;
    I'm giving some dirty in some corners
    but still not the final

uptexturas4.jpg
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Hello polycounts!
    Now I'm getting into something I wanted
    wipRender.jpg
    only a few more adjustments and will be done.

Good day