Home Technical Talk

i've lost my ribbon!!!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
i can't believe i'm saying this, but i disabled the ribbon in max 2010 a while back. don't remember how i did it. and was quite happy for a while...

but now i need a feature that's on the ribbon that i can't find anywhere else (de-triangulate a mesh).

anyone know how to do it without the ribbon, or where to re-activate the ribbon?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to Customize > Customize UI > Toolbars Tab > change the category to, Modeling Graphite Tools > drag "Graphite Modeling Tools... out into the main button toolbar and click it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i love you vig...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Protip: If you turn it off and save a blank scene to your 3dsmax scenes folder as "maxstart.max", it will load that way every time.

I personally like my viewport customized to one giant view with a 6ft mesuring stick at the center of the grid. Very handy to have it start up that way every time. It might remember is off the next time you start max, if you disable the ribbon before closing the scene the last time, since I forget to shut it down its best if its saved into the maxstart.max file that way, at least for me.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lol @ measuring stick... love it.
    thanks for the tip :)
  • Decordova360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decordova360 polycounter lvl 9
    Previous instruction did not help, Then I tried this
    In the viewport type "x" to open the search all command box > type "Show Modeling Tab Ribbon" > finally click that command option and the modeling ribbon will then appear. You can then place the ribbon wherever you would like or back to the default location.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be fair, previous instruction was from seven years ago, lol.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, yea a lot has changed since 2010.

The search widget was added 4-5 years ago depending on what version you are on that may not be helpful, there where two versions of max that technically had the search feature in the app but it was disabled because of grumps that didn't like having x bound to search and wanted it back to "hide gizmo" by default. Eventually they lost out, because enough people complained about "losing" search, when it wasn't lost, they just had to rebind it. Why they didn't just pick a new hotkey is a mystery.

In 2017 the UI has been converted over to run on QT so it's much more flexible and easier to customize.

They no longer call it "Graphite modeling tools" which was a mouthful, now they just call it "ribbon". The steps are the same but now you go to: 
    Customize > Customize UI > Toolbars Tab > change the category to, Ribbon > drag "Show Ribbon"... out into the main toolbar and click it.

Other solutions:
    You can right click a blank space in the toolbar and check on ribbon, that was available in 2011+ versions also.

They've exposed a lot of the ribbon modeling tools to the customize UI so you don't need the ribbon, you can drag out specific commands or bind them to keys if you want just one or two features without having to deal with the entire ribbon. That wasn't available in 2010 but thankfully it was added in 2012.