Home Technical Talk

VertexPaint issues - please help!

Hi guys,

I'm new to the low-poly thing and have started using vertexpaint. When I apply VertexPaint to an object in my scene, it isn't receiving any paint information. But, when I use make a new scene and apply VertexPaint to a primitive I can paint just fine. What would be happening to my Max file that is causing the VertexPaint not to work?

Also, when I press F2, my shaded faces toggle isn't working (even though it's assigned properly in my UI settings). Are the two problems possibly related?

It's probably some noob problem but hopefully you guys can help!

Cheers :)

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you exit vertex paint (close the window) and apply a edit poly does the shaded toggle work then?
    What about if you delete the Vertex Paint modifier does it work?

It might be that the shading method of vertex paint is overriding your viewport settings.
    Using these settings should get it to display: http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8666/tut1k.png

At the top of the vertex paint window are 4 boxes, those are the shading settings, from left to right they are:
    Vertex Color Display - Unshaded: full bright only showing the vertex colors
    Vertex Color Display - Shaded: Probably the one you want
    Disable Vertex Color Display: Default, and probably the one its set to right now
    Toggle Texture: I never use this so I'm not certain what it does, but if it works like I think then its self explanatory?

I think if you exit vertex paint it will keep displaying the last selected method, so you'll want to set it back to the default (3rd box from the left). Anytime you collaspe the stack or close the vertex color window the colors are baked/saved into the mesh.

You also want to be sure its set to paint into the vertex color and not vertex Illum or Alpha.