Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My version of Major Kusanagi

Hi I entered ComicCon 2010 going for Major Kusanagi Motoko, thought I'd post here too, I sure can use crits and advises from you awesome polycount people.
I was envisioning an alternative world where Motoko doesn't have to be a full body cyborg and will sometimes need a fully powered exoskeleton. So its a bit closer to the real world technology scenario, but if I can ever pull this off I might alter some other stuffs from the original and try to make more characters. But for now the major offset is she'll don a power suit, and my focus is to try to make it interesting and believable.
The other different is she'll be a bit younger. I don't know how old exactly she was in the anime, but I'm aiming sort of 17/21-ish. In anime she changed into bodies of different shapes and sizes several times yet you can always identify her. That's kind of the thing I want to have on my model.
I'm not sure I was taking this "alternative" thing a bit to far, and also any crits on anything else are welcome too.
Oh I'd like to design some original guns for her too, if time is adequate.
Refs:
refq.jpg
Initial sketches:
conceptsuitcopy.jpg
concepting:
grab1b.jpg

Replies

• bugworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sketching up a carbine design. I'm a huge AR fan myself, so as a personal experiment I really want to stay away from the F-2000-ish bullpups in the original and try some traditional configs with folding stocks. I tried can magazines to get a sci-fi look.

Any crits will be appreciated.

carbine.jpg

also a helmet sketch-up:
    helmets.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Don't make to too visually cluttered, otherwise cool design so far.
  • bugworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, I was thinking dumping in as many details as I can manage and trim off stuffs and clean up. A bit unorganized way I guess but for now I'll stick to it.

Face update, I wanted some asian features, espacially the eyes, but keep them minimal and not try to emphasize them. And she needs to have a bit of toughness.
    facetestf.jpg
    face tests:
    faceeyelashes.jpg
    with eyelashes.

Keep working on the carbine :
    carbine2.jpg

feedbacks will be appreciated.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Nice progress man. One little detail I noticed is that the mouth seems a little flat at the moment. Make sure there is space for teeth behind them lips and give it a nice radius. :) Keep going
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Great work so far. The face is terrific, fits her character very well, I also like your alternative design as well.
    Just to restate what JKMakowka said make sure the design is easily readable, looks like it'll be fine for the moment, I find these things are easy to get caught in details.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks very good so far.
  • bugworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update, hopefully I get to come close to completing the suit during this weekend.
    carbine is mostly done, I tighten the barrel a bit so it looks sharper and conformed its color to the suit.
    carbine3.jpg

for the face I pushed it a bit more to the asian side. The skin looks way 2 bright maybe its the light when I did the test renders. Will tone it down later. let me know what you think.
    Detailing the suit was a lot harder than I thought...
    bodyx.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Looking better and better, im Impress, keep going :D
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    looks a bit like a Yoji Shinkawa version of her, I like it allot, exept for the helmet.
  • jrmenace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing that looks a lil off maybe make thighs n waist a lil bit more sleeker and thinner,she looks a little bulky with the armor but even so great job.other thing the face looks good but maybe scale the jaw in on the sides from the front or maybe make neck tad skinner.overall gr8job not much to say.the gun u could maybe add a grenade launcher to it or somthing.
  • bugworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, jrmenace your absolutely right, the proportions are really off. I remade the body completely from the same base mesh as I realize how bad the proportion was. I really need you guys help here, anatomy is giving me a hard day. I need to get this right before moving on to finishing the hard surface stuff.

body:

body22h.jpg

with the suit:
    frontbackb.jpg

face:
    facezt.jpg
  • bugworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    body...looking for more errors...need help!!
    59932048.jpg
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    The body looks like realistic/natural proportions, which is somewhat unusual for a game. Game babes usually have tiny waists, a shorter torso and huge boobs. I like this realistic build though. The wide collar is making her neck look short.

I really like the gun design - nice mix of sci-fi tech bits and practical elements. What is the box on the folding stock supposed to be though?
  • plyrs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The big thing that makes Kusanagi recognizable from body to body is her eyes. Everything she swaps into has a very piercing gaze. If you can get that down, I would buy this as her.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    i really like this model, the face in particular. can't wait to see it finished
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    looks like she's got a man bulge down there in that vaginal area. That part of the body usually swoops back and is covered by the thigh in the side view.

I say push he body proportions more: smaller waist, bigger hips, maybe even bigger breast. I didn't watch much Ghost in the Shell, bit in Stand Alone Complex she definitely has a sexy shapely body. Like in yours when she is wearing the suit, not all that sexy because her silhouette isn't showing off her forms.
  • bugworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conor: ur right about the neck. will fix later.
    that box is supposed to be...well, a rugged computer. I know its really a clumsy and weird idea, but I'm liking to imagine the world that way. It's used for controlling air strike/drones, communication and whatnot, its lightweight, durable and detachable. That thing on the right is a swiveling screen, like on a tablet pc.

plyrs:Thats a good point. I'll try my best on the eyes.

Illusive: Thanks alot. I actually spent quite some time on the face, during which I found many stuffs I didn't know about facial anatomy. I know its not some hardcore modeling stuff at all but I learned a lot.

Kewop Decam: Thanks for poking it out...definitely will be fixed. And I hear you on the whole sex thing. Its really a tough balance, at least to me, as I've got tons of stuffs I need to throw in and they can easily destroy the silhouette. I'm putting my best effort to not let that happen.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    looks like she's got a man bulge down there in that vaginal area.

Maybe she has a big Vagina or a "Mangina" she's a Cyborg remember?
  • bugworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill: Lol

Still only at like 70% of where I wanted, many stuffs unpolished too, but I figure I should post some updates.
    I realize I may not make the deadline even with the extension, but its becoming a personal challenge for me too, so I'll try my best. Anyway the amount of work ahead scares me. Can't even think about how im gonna low poly this thing. But I'll finish it no matter what.

I'm aware that some details I had in mind really wont show up properly in low mesh, but I'm still gonna model them anyway just for the sake of practicing. feedbacks are always welcome.

some shitty ao renders:
    c40.png
    c41.pngc43t.pngc45.png
  • BlazeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlazeF triangle
    Definitely digging it man! Keep it up!
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    she reminds me one of the characters from the cartoon mask. I liked mask when I was a kid. Good progress!
    26146636_918095df18_o.jpg
  • jrmenace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it;d be cool to add he skimpy little jacket, and focus more on her head and face maybe make her be holding the helmet in the final pose, for the hair to match the majors basic design would be betta just make bangs longer and have the back cut straight round back.looking gr8 tho really like the boots and gloves.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool progress.

What I don't like is her back/neck which is too stiff and needs to be arched. I also would push her female curves a bit more. Outfit seems to be masking forms underneath.