Home Technical Talk

Maya 2011 UI seems sluggish?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
kodde polycounter lvl 19
Has anyone else noticed that Maya 2011 seems to be rather sluggish in certain areas?
I've noticed for instance when opening the Hypershader there is a slight delay compared to previous versions of Maya. Same thing with some other windows. Such as when clicking the small checkboard-icon next to a shader channel. The new window which lets you map for instance a "file"-node will also have quite some delay.

Also when loading/reloading an external shader (cgfx) now takes forever.

:(

Anyone else or just me?

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    takes around 1 second for me to load the cgfx shader..havent noticed it being sluggish at all. Using the 64bit version.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm... thanks for your input.

I tried both Maya 2011 32-bit and 64-bit, also 2010 32-bit. 2010 32-bit quite notably quicker.

Tried on other computers here at work as well. Same issue. Although all these machines have same hardware config and most likely similar/same software config.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    After some more googling "Maya 2011 slow" I found quite a few threads on other users experiencing this as well.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    what is it with adobe and autodesk step by step trieng to destroy their applications ?

aliaswavefront maya 7 and adobe photoshop 7 for LIFE !
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maya 2011's Hypershade is definitely super-slow to open, for me. It was fairly slow in Maya 2008, but it's definitely slower now.

The rest of the UI seems as responsive as ever though, the worst part is always the Attribute Editor if you have a lot of history in your selection. Takes ages to refresh, but then again it always has.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Theres a fairly big thread on this on the Maya forums on CGTalk, so its definitely not just you.

And yes the Hypershade is one of the worst offenders atm.

Hopefully its just a side-effect of the implementation being new.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Thank you for the responses. Good to know. There might be hope after all then. Autodesk will bow down to the mighty whining of the community! (Not historically true)
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    The fact hypershade is slow is due to the time it needs to load all the materials, preview..It's always been slow.. but with 2011 it appears slower..sigh..

However I didn't notice sluggish in other aspect...The select tools, move tools settings which used to be slow is now more reasonable.
  • greuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 15
    I believe there's a small command somewhere to prevent hypershade to attempt to load/create texture previews, which supposedly speed up hypershade opening a lot.

also, there may be some issues with your video drivers and aero for win7/active desktop whatever the name is for vista.

Also, it seems that the wacom drivers that install the HID component have had a nasty effect on maya 2011. Dont ask me how, there's a thread about it somewhere on the area, and I think it was echo'd somewhere over here.