Home Technical Talk

3ds max odd link tool problems please help

hey guys i was working on a gundam in 3ds Max for a bit of fun n came accross an issue with the link tool.

here is the gundam linked and working fine.

90199677.jpg

and here is whats happening when i go to rotate the bicep....

93548587.jpg

any ideas people?

Replies

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Probably you need to Reset XForm?..set pivot point?..those kind of small check up will save you from lots of trouble down the line.

_Revel
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would reset the scale and transform (hierarchy tab reset scale/transform) before Reset Xform. Reset xform does a few undesirable things in addition to doing the two things you need, reset scale, reset transform.

The main thing it does, is jack up your local pivot on your model to align to the world, which can be kind of disastrous for a bunch of things...
    ResetXformPivotProblem.gif
    Why use a nuke when a hand grenade will do?

The cause, you scaled the model in "non-uniform scale" model which it looks like your scale tool is set to.

You should always, ALWAYS reset scale and transform before doing any kind of linking, rigging or skinning... always.

Also if you're ever using bones, use "Animation > Bone Tools: Edit Bone" to adjust the bone's position to the mesh do not scale the bones on a rigid skeleton. The only time you should scale bones is if you're doing squash and stretch animation AND you've set the bones to squash and stretch in Bone Tools. Even then if you're aligning bones in the default pose you should click reset stretch, scale and align in bone tools.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    A little info to add...you have to reset the scale for the parent (probably the shoulder)...it was scaled non-uniformly and the child (your biceps) rotates in the deformed transformation matrix of the parent, this getting skewed like you see.

Best thing is, to completely avoid using scale (at all) on object level. Always go to a subobject level or use a Xform Modifier, if you want to scake things. That way you prevent the transformation matrix from getting deformed.
  • Buzzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh, I hate Reset XForm. Because, as Vig has demonstrated, it totally ruins your transforms. But I don't even like Reset Scale because it just hides the scale and doesn't actually reset it.

You should just avoid scaling at the object level altogether, period. Uniform or otherwise. Scale messes with everything on a very low level. Scale at the subobject level.
  • dutch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to reset xform with out fucking up your rotation:

create a box
    align the box to the problem object using only rotation and position
    convert box to editable poly
    attach problem object to box
    select box in element mode and delete

now your problem object has its scale cleaned up but retains its rotation and pivot.

You'll have to rename the problem object (probably now named box01) and possibly set some object properties.
  • Buzzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bingo. That's the way I do it too.

But that method will also destroy any constraints, hierarchy, scripted controllers, etc.
    so if you've already rigged the character, you will likely demolish the rig. Also, as far as I can tell, you cannot script this process, which sucks big.
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like that idea dutch! il give it a shot now and get back to you guys.

thanx
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked a treat!!!! love u guys!