Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Robert Maschke, 3D/2D Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
airage polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,
i would greatly appreciate feedback/crits on the layout as well as on the content so i can make everything better :)
I'm not on the job hunt yet and i want to replace the weaker pieces (that dagger, dresser and stone thing) as soon as possible. There's still one year of school and work ahead of me so i have some time to improve things, add a finished 3D environment etc.

http://www.rmgameart.com

Thanks! There's also some tutorials :D

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    morning, the link's broken :(

a little copy and paste and I got there though, I cant see the 3D environments is that correct?
  • airage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhh yes i somehow messed it up :( should be fixed now, thanks!
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    FIrst thing good stuff you have in ur portfolio and the second you put too much stuff in your case.
    I rather take 3-5 best stuff you ever done. I wandering around your site in 20 seconds, you have solid stuff yes but there are too much work it can be a mess to scroll down so much. Make it simple! And less scroll.
  • Baaaah!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baaaah! polycounter lvl 10
    I like it, nice clear layout and quick access to all your images.

It does rather say to me though that you want to be a concept artist as opposed to a 3d environment artist however. Your strongest work seems to be in the area of concepts, yet you've chosen to place that work beneath the 3d env work. It sort of suggests that you're going for 3d environment work because you think you've got a better chance of getting a job in that, but you really want to be doing concept work. Maybe I'm reading too much into that I don't know :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'd make this actually look like drawers: right now it looks like it's been carved from one peice of wood and doesn't look like it opens at all.

http://www.rmgameart.com/assets/dresser/dresser_01_rmgameart.jpg

and I'd remove this all together;
    http://www.rmgameart.com/assets/cover/cover_01_rmgameart.jpg

other then looks cool.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    You could do with brushing up on your low poly topology, there's alot of ugly tris n some unused.

Ace concepts tho :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    i was scratching my head as to where the 3d stuff was, heres a screen grab from IE8....could just be me?

Untitled-1-2.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I agree that the concept work are your strongest pieces. With the 3d environment stuff I feel like you could do a lot better with texture resolution if you planned ahead and tiled some of your textures. They are really nice pieces though and you have some really nice high-poly stuff :)
  • airage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the feedback so far! There seems to be some ugly problems with Internet Explorer, i'll fix it as soon as i can. :(
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can it be that you images are stretched?
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Your links are borked. I get the small pixels to.

But, when I did see your 3d stuff, I think you should just sell your self as a concept artist. 3d intigration of 2d is cool, but your 3d props are not very stunning say a few.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    cool, concept work is hot

but there is some less qualitative work in there I would drop and instead focus more on your key skills
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    rollin wrote: »
    cool, concept work is hot

but there is some less qualitative work in there I would drop and instead focus more on your key skills

Naw, being a good concepter (is that a word?) is great for an environment artist, keep working dude! :)

The main thing I think you should work on is to create some really interesting tiling pieces, how to get the most out of your textures :)
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Check your pms.

-Buddikaman
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    IMO, your texturing is way overboard on the noise. Everything is noisy, and ruins what would otherwise be good looking pieces. That cement block is probably the best example. It is so noisy it doesn't even look like anything.

Honestly, I'm not sure whats going on. Looking at your texture sheets for the vehicle hanger thing, its like your textures are painted with noise. And then you ran it through a noise filter while listening to static on the radio. I don't get it, since you are clearly doing it on purpose. Anyway, remove all the noise, even if that somehow looks good to you, no game or studio would texture something like that, which will make it hard to get a job with a portfolio looking like that. It comes off as amateurish.

Not trying to be a jerk, but it just baffles me since you clearly have some skill.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    PredatorGSR - took the words right ... out of my fingers...?

anyway i was gonna mention something along those lines, it feels as if you
    put up the sharpness all the way up in photoshop. and its really killing some the
    first things you gets to see.

overall cool stuff man!
  • airage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton for the feedback guys! The problems with internet explorer should be fixed now and i removed/replaced some of the content.

vofff - Yeah i agree, i've already removed a couple of images. I'll finish a couple of concept pieces, then i'm going rearrange the 2D section.

Baaaah! - Haha you've brought up a really good point here and you are not entirely wrong.
    Years ago i really wanted to become a concept artist and nothing else, then i got into 3D to help my workflow and better understand things. Some friends and colleagues say i'm crazy and i should focus on drawing etc. But i'm at a point where i often enjoy the 3D more. I really hope to get a job in modeling/texturing the next years, and hopefully it will help to be able to do some concepts, 3D overpaints etc. as well. Not sure if that's good, but i just love both so much. :(

Jeremy Lindstrom - Thanks for the feedback. I've removed the barrier thing and i'll rework the dresser.

Mask_Salesman - Thanks! Yea i'll definitely work on my topology.

seth - Thanks for pointing this out. Everything was working fine in firefox and i was stupid enough to not test it with IE again before bringing the site online. Everything should be running fine now!

chrisradsby - Thanks for the tip, i'll sure do better in future!

Nysuatro - Maybe this was IE acting weird because i messed some things up. Other then that, i often transform/stretch certain areas whilst i'm painting in 2D. Maybe i misunderstood you, could you point out specific images?

whats_true - The site should be fixed. Thanks a lot for the feedback!
    I enjoy both so much that it's often hard for me to focus on one. My 'problem' is that i absolutely love doing 3D as well as 2D, but i definitely need to learn so much and get a lot better. To apply as a concept artist in the next years, i would have to learn a lot of drawing, anatomy etc. which i don't enjoy as much. I'll see what the next year of school brings.

55joe - Thanks! :)

rollin - Thanks for the feedback! Absolutely agree with you, i've already dropped some of the weaker pieces.

chrisradsby - Thanks again, i'll work on that.

buddikaman - I've sent you an email. I appreciate it, but school and work is just keeping me too busy at the moment :/

SasoChicken - Haha don't go over the top. Thanks for the encouraging words!

PredatorGSR - Don't worry about being a jerk, i totally appreciate the honest feedback. That's what i love you polycount guys for :)
    I understand what you mean, it's really a bad habit to 'oversharpen' everything. After some time i must have became blind for it and it carried over from painting where it can help to better bring up brushstrokes on some occasion. I fixed most of the images and i'll really think about your words before firing up the sharpen filter again. Thank you for pointing that out!

Alberto Rdrgz - Thanks for the feedback! I agree with you guys and i'll get this bad habit under control.