Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gladiator Attack Vehicle

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
Here is the current HP for a vehicle I'm working on for a indie game that's trying to get some steam. Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated. I currently am working on creating the LP. More posts are to come in the next few days.

On a side note Ive moved to this new user name, i used to be "Ro-sham-bo" on this forum. I felt like using my real name was more professional and was the reason for the move. Thanks!

gladiator_hp_final1_by_bit_winchester-d2xjak7.jpggladiator_side_view_by_bit_winchester-d2xotee.jpggladiator_behind_view_by_bit_winchester-d2xotgp.jpg

Replies

• madmuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    I'm really liking it so far, it feels sorta 20 years into the future.

All I can say is a vehicle like this would see a good deal of wear and tear, depending on how new you wanted it to be, I would add in more dings, scrapes, and just general muddy it up, it looks too clean and perfect to be military.

And maybe it's just the camera angles but I can see where the back turret can aim up and down but does it swivel left and right any? I can't see any hinges to give it 360 degree rotation, only an up and down axis rotation.
  • BradleyWascher
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin- Yeah the concept i was working from was very weak in details and only a front concept shot so a lot of the details are still being worked out. Many of the small high frequency detail ( scratches, mud, etc) are going to be added in through the textures on the LP. As for the turret If you look in the back that whole back circle will be able to rotate taking the gun with it giving it full 360 firing. Ill go ahead and give it a second lip so it looks like it has something to make it rotate. Thanks for the pointers.
  • prolow
    Offline / Send Message
    prolow polycounter lvl 11
    this looks very similar to the Force Protection Inc. line of vehicles. http://www.forceprotection.net
    though i couldn't find it on there sight, i saw a smaller, more humvee like one on a trailer bed while traveling though Kentucky a few weeks ago.
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    Prolow - Yeah I've seen their vehicles before they have some nice reference. Ill most likely end up using those to help with the textures and material a lot because the concept I'm working from is very simple.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Be careful about having edges that sharp, if you are baking down to a low poly the bake won't turn out very well, especially if you are baking with smoothing groups and are using a game res texture. You'll have like 1 pixel of normal map detail for that tiny edge, and when it gets downrezed or mip mapped it will disappear completely.
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    PredatorGSR- I actually had a friend point this out to me also and its something I'm currently addressing. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I was just afraid of getting a muddy looking meshes and I went a little extreme with how tightly my loops were. I'm going to loosen some of them up to give the normal a fighting chance.Thanks for the advice.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good, nice approach to the webbing on the back of the vehicle. A lot of your edges, especially your water canister have sharp edges as Konrad pointed out. I think you can afford to bevel those out a bit, just loosen up in some corners and you should be golden.
  • zenarion
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Some kind of shield to protect the gunner would be nice. He is very exposed out there.
  • BradleyWascher
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan - Yeah the webbing wasn't that bad and I felt it gave a little organic feature to a very non-organic structure. There was no concept for the back so i kind of winged it haha. An the gas can on the side is currently the LP version with some floaters in front of it, Ill make sure to tighten some of the edges an smooth it out a little bit before baking it out. I did this in a few places so if some things look really straight they may just not be smoothed right now. thanks for noticing. and thanks for the feedback

zenarion- As for a shield for the gunner I was working from a concept I was giving, it was very limited in the details so I might go back and add some panels to the side of the gun and see if it helps some. Thanks for the idea.
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    I really like the design. The chunky feel to it is really cool!
  • BradleyWascher
    Offline / Send Message
    //UPDATE
    Here is a small update on the low poly for this model, diffuse is Wip. This model currently has no spec map or high detail pass normals so just to let ya guys know I'm not claiming this done by any standard. Any feedback or ideas on the diffuse though would be great, thanks!
    gladiator_lp_texture_wip1_by_bit_winchester-d315lrq.jpg
  • sneakymcfox
    I think the lines between the plates should be a little more subtle and the tires ect need a lot more dirt
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I am loving this. I think that the backspacing of the tires is a bit unpractical and wide though. Make it feel kind of like an disproportional Tonka toy rather than a bad ass assault vehicle.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    I like it reminds me of the lamborgini lm series suv, the tires are holding this thing back i think as well. Maybe bring them down to a 44in wide tire like hummers use, most people assume hummer tires are just a traditional rubber tire with a more agressive tread. But really they are designed to be wider and are studded so they could run with nails and things stuck in them. Humvee Tires would look pretty nice on this i think.

Looks good keep it up man.