Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vic Viper - Gradius II

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
Hey Polycount,

Been pushing some personal work to further push my modeling abilities and been diving into some practice with mechanical sub-d and hard surfaces following some very inspirational work here on the boards. The zbrush weld technique is one of my favorite, so i've left some planes over areas I may possibly do a general weld on (although this particular asset doesn't leave very much room for that, as much of the chassis is very smooth like an F22 Raptor)

I've always wanted to recreate the Vic Viper from the Gradius series, as it's definitely one of my favorite games on SNES so I decided to take a stab at it. I will be bringing this down to a low poly and creating textures for it.

Following are high poly shots, with a combination of sub_d and use of spline method (Thanks to Ben Boltons wonderful spline tutorial . Still some floaties and chassis forms I need to adjust.

Thanks for taking a look guys.

Vic_Viper_HP_WIP_Batch3.jpg

vic_viper_hp_wip_batch2.jpg

Vic_Viper_HP_WIP_Batch4.jpg

Vic_Viper_HP_WIP_Batch.jpg

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Nice detail work mate, keep me posted on the progress!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Really, really nice so far, Will. Gradius is one of my all-time favorites, and it's an awesome choice of model to recreate. What are you thinking in terms of presentation? Model viewer, or small scene?

Have to admit I was very excited even seeing the words Vic Viper again after all these years, and it's nice that the model doesn't disappoint. :)

Can't wait to see where this goes.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    Really, really nice so far, Will. Gradius is one of my all-time favorites, and it's an awesome choice of model to recreate. What are you thinking in terms of presentation? Model viewer, or small scene?

Have to admit I was very excited even seeing the words Vic Viper again after all these years, and it's nice that the model doesn't disappoint. :)

Can't wait to see where this goes.

I'm a huge fan of Xoliuls 3ds Max Shader, which might work really well here especially with his fresnel reflection stuff. I might just set up the shader and pop out some presentations in max for now.

Recreating the launch hangar bay (from the Gradius Mission Starts) might be really cool too, so that may possibly be in the works for the future.
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one word!... Awesome!! Can't wait until it gets textured...
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    When you said Vic Viper, I was thinking of Zone of The Enders for a minute and forgot that it came from an older game lol. Looking really sweet!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some inspiration and fond chidhood memories :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRrt8sM0tpE[/ame]
  • rasmus
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    GRADIUS!!!!!!!!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I love your ship but you should definitely think of texturing it as well. Also your model is very good but you could push the details even further like adding bolts and such. Great work!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goraaz wrote: »
    I love your ship but you should definitely think of texturing it as well. Also your model is very good but you could push the details even further like adding bolts and such. Great work!

I will be bringing this down to a low poly and texturing. I had thought about placement of bolts, however much of the Vic Viper is actually a welded hull with flush riveting. It's very much a smooth surface, similar to the F22 Raptor so i'll be doing a cavity pass for those details along the main supporting trim.

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Yeah, this is incredible. I think I pooped a little.
  • unclestan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DoomTay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DoomTay polycounter lvl 12
    Is this a standalone, just-for-fun thing, or is it for, like, a remake of Gradius II?
  • Cerulean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, you've captured the Vic Viper really well! The missiles on the underside look a little plain to my eye, but texturing it will probably go a long way there.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DoomTay wrote: »
    Is this a standalone, just-for-fun thing, or is it for, like, a remake of Gradius II?

This is a stand-alone model for hi to low poly modeling practice and textures.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great Will, I wanna see you finish this.
    Btw, you think about doing an interior? I'm sure having a see through canopy with a semi-detailed cockpit will bring much more life to your vehicle than a solid-looking canopy.

And heh, you actually made me continue work yesterday on a 'lil spaceship I'm creating on the side. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Some wireframes maybe? if its not to much to ask for.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Looks great Will, I wanna see you finish this.
    Btw, you think about doing an interior? I'm sure having a see through canopy with a semi-detailed cockpit will bring much more life to your vehicle than a solid-looking canopy.

And heh, you actually made me continue work yesterday on a 'lil spaceship I'm creating on the side. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hey Laurens, yes i've fleshed out an interior but haven't done any cockpit detail work yet. I'm still thinking about the balance of detail since one of the only specialized concepts of the cockpit is highly intricatewhile the general forms are rather simple. I'll probably keep it simple since the canopy is pretty opaque.

I want to check out that space ship you're working on!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Scale on that scalemodel looks a bit off, like the ship is too big for the cockpit. I wouldn't do it like that. The special concept looks really cool, but not that intricate. it's mostly the back of the chair. i would try to stick to that more, it has cool colors and that headpiece thingy will look nice as a silhouette behind the glass.

And yeah i'll show some WIP when i get far enough (far enough to be sure i'll finish it) :)
    It looks like a Vic Viper too (that's what they call those twin pronged spaceships apparently).
  • Third
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a huge Gradius nut and this is looking very, very impressive! Would love to see this textured!

A bit more inspiration for the interior: the intro video for Gradius II on the PC Engine (TurboGrafx.) It shows a scene of the cockpit computers booting, a few detail shots of the weapon systems and a launch from the hangar.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-IF9UD1y2c[/ame]
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments & recommendations guys.

Quick update here, started fleshing out the cockpit. I'm not going to put an incredible amount of detail at this time since the ship will be visible from the outside (different story if I was building for flight sim, i'd assign cockpit completely new materials and texture sheet including gears, weapons, missiles and the S/A Option. A heck of a lot more time would be spent on just the interior detailing seperately. For now, this should suffice.

Here are some more screenies.

Don't mind its current opacity, it's lowered for visibility.
    HP_Cockpit_WIP.jpg

HP_Cockpit_WIP2.jpg

HP_Wire.jpg
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I literally just found myself staring at the wireframe, going 'hmmm....'

I really need to get out more.

Looks awesome, man. I think the amount of cockpit detail is just right - any more would be a waste, considering your plans, but it's definitely enough to give it a functional feel. Looking forward to seeing that bake.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    I really need to get out more.

Trust me, so do I lol.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty. So i've pretty much finished up, and have learned a lot from working on this. One thing i'll note, is the importance of using instances for high poly. Runs hell of a lot quicker and less memory intensive when working with high meshes. Some areas didn't bake down as well as i'd hope, so i'd definitely have to keep in mind giving some more love to the low poly in certain areas.

I had some issues with Xols shader, couldn't use cubemaps as it wouldn't read them for some reason. Threw it in Marmoset for now.

Anyhow heres some screenies.

Tri Count: 8,206

Final_Shot_00-1.jpg

Final_Shot_01-1.jpg

Final_Shot_04-1.jpg

Final_Shot_02.jpg

Final_Shot_03.jpg

Wireframe

Final_Wire-1.jpg

Textures Here
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/kaburan/Preview_Dif.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/kaburan/Preview_Nor.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/kaburan/Preview_Spec.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Gah ships are SO MUCH fun to do!

Man this thing looks great will. I really enjoy the subtle grunge, as apposed to really caking it on, same goes with the scratches. Something I'm guilty of doing just as well is putting too many scrapes and stuff.

You've inspired me to try and do something a little more minimalistic with the grunge on my next proj.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Will ship turned out real nice. Some of the wear on there looks great, escpially near the cock pit.

Since you went with a more subtle plating like the F22 Raptor I think you need to breakup the color of each of the plates a bit more to make this pop a little more and not look so flat. If you look at the Raptor you can even see it there that a lot of the plates that make up the hull of the ship drastically differ in color giving it a great look IMHO. I feel that lightening/darkening the plates on your ship would really help break up some of the monotonous look of the all that white. You dont have to have as much contrast as the Raptor but some I think could help out a lot.

Also since the ship looks overall pretty dirty I would add some more dirt streaks to the front of the two wings and the nose point of the cockpit. Since it looks like the ship hasnt been washed in a bit I would expect those areas to be a streaked a little more with dirt as it is the area that hits the air first when cursing through the sky.

Keep up the good work :)
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Absolutely awesome! Love this! All my critiques are the same as above. One thing I'd tack on is the material for the windshield. It be nice to see it really have more of that translucent look with the light bouncing off of it. As well as some overall dirt and smudges.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits guys! I agree my first pass is looking flat, i need to give some more love to the details and pop out the textures with some variation in values. I'll go through another pass while im hanging out over at AICSD. Thanks again!
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Nerdgasm here :D Keep it up.