Home General Discussion

Section for noobs?

Hello everyone!

Since I do not see a website feedback section I figured I'd put this here.

As you can see I'm a noob to this community and a noob to 3D art itself. I've made a few things but they're very laughable. :( I'd feel like a jackass placing what I have in the Pimping and Previews section along with the other amazing work.

So my question is: Is there any chance to get a special section similar to Pimping and Previews for noobs?

At least there you'll know what to expect. ;)

PS: Loving all the work here. So jealous.

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Dmented, welcome to Polycount.

Honestly, there is no real need to have a designated section for 'noobs', as it will alienate the artists that are new to 3D, like yourself. The veterans on this site that can provide you with valuable information, feedback and critique will probably choose to avoid the 'noob' section altogether which is exactly the opposite of what you'd want.

Personally, just post your work in P&P, ask for some feedback, trawl the rest of the forums for tips, tricks and ways to improve your workflow from the other threads. Most importantly, practice practice practice. You'll start to see results.
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Don't feel bad that your work looks shoddy now. No one picks up 3D and creates perfection right from the get go. We were all making shoddy work when we started. This stuff takes practice. You will get better as long as you keep up the motivation.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    can we also have a section for old gimmers like myself to complain about the price of cigarettes and the youth of today with their spikey haircuts and emo like whining.
    It was all different in my day back with windows 95 and my 2mb video card / 3dsmax 0.5 for dos etc etc

But yeah don't be embarrassed to post and if you don't get much feedback in p$p start your own thread.
  • Dmented
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmented, welcome to Polycount.

Honestly, there is no real need to have a designated section for 'noobs', as it will alienate the artists that are new to 3D, like yourself. The veterans on this site that can provide you with valuable information, feedback and critique will probably choose to avoid the 'noob' section altogether which is exactly the opposite of what you'd want.

Personally, just post your work in P&P, ask for some feedback, trawl the rest of the forums for tips, tricks and ways to improve your workflow from the other threads. Most importantly, practice practice practice. You'll start to see results.

Thanks for the welcome!

What you're saying makes perfect sense. Couldn't have said it better. :thumbup:
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yeh, that's a pretty bad idea. The day PC becomes an elitist community is the day PC starts dying.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psst... that's what polycount is...
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    Psst... that's what polycount is...
    :P

You don't want a noob section, because no one will want to post in it. It'd be a dead zone.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd post there!
  • pr1mus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1mus polycounter lvl 8
    A noob section wouldn´t be that great. But a Tutorial Section, where everyone could post Tutorials from themselves would be really great. At the moment, all tutorials are spread over the whole Forum.

Tutorials could be workflow, special tutorials about Materials, UV Mapping, etc.
    There are some really nice Tutorials flowing around here, but it is not funny to search them. A section, where every tutorial is placed would be nice.
    And no, I don´t find, the wiki is the right Place. To the wiki goes Tutorials, which are finished/complete or are real great :)

So, just my 2 cents.

And sorry for my bad english.

Greetings pr1mus
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I actually agree with primus a wee bit, a tut section would be snazzy without making this look like GA..
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    pr1mus wrote: »
    A noob section wouldn´t be that great. But a Tutorial Section, where everyone could post Tutorials from themselves would be really great. At the moment, all tutorials are spread over the whole Forum.

Tutorials could be workflow, special tutorials about Materials, UV Mapping, etc.
    There are some really nice Tutorials flowing around here, but it is not funny to search them. A section, where every tutorial is placed would be nice.
    And no, I don´t find, the wiki is the right Place. To the wiki goes Tutorials, which are finished/complete or are real great :)

So, just my 2 cents.

And sorry for my bad english.

Greetings pr1mus

Sticky thread!
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36177
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durrr, thanks, rofl xD
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Thats why we have a wiki. Eric dose a fantastic job of constantly updating it with tips, tricks, info and tutorials posted all over PC.

People who are new really should read the "Information about the Polycount Forums" thread as its very helpful.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Pedro. I will hunt you down!