Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Battle Carbine - WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Bumper polycounter lvl 9
Hey All,

" Alternative history/early 20th century carbine."

I built the base mesh in Max and have started Zbrushing. I'm taking a step back for a breather and figured I'd post a WIP shot.

*The optical sight and barrel/gas block assembly haven't been painted.*

My next step will be to continue painting while adding pins, bolts, knobs, wear, etc.

Critique welcomed. Reamings however will require dinner and a movie.

Thanks for Looking!

Williamson_Carbine_WIP_SMALL.jpg

Replies

• dansher
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    this is really nice, couple of things i notice are that the handle looks a bit small compared to rest of the gun (handle looks really nice tho, great detail), and something about the shape of the sight looks a little off im not really sure why though. with a few tweaks to a few bits i think it would make a really nice sniper rifle
  • n88tr
    the stock looks like folded and then bolted leather which is to say the least, unorthodox and to me, looks very unstable and impractical. No rails for the scope so it just bolts to the upper reciever which is not realistic either. The darkest metals are way too dark. Metal doesn't look black. This was just posted and you should give it a look,
    http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/materials.html
    Also there is no bolt to pull to clear the gun or remove a jam so that's really unrealistic. If you get a stovepipe jam on that gun you're gonna have to take it apart to fix it...
  • Bumper
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, thanks for your replies!

dansher - The grip has been an issue. I went back and forth on it's size. I think I'm going to leave it be for the time being but perhaps do some slight scale tweaking once I have it baked out to my low poly model.

The sight has also been something of a buggaboo during this build. I enjoy the relative obscurity (it's based off a WW1 machine gun sight) as it just isn't another Eotech, Aimpoint or some variation of. However that unique look may in itself be an issue and turn the viewer off. Separating the history/technology buff within myself and the artist can be tricky.

n88tr - The stock is indeed yet another item I'm iffy about. The leather "cuff" just isn't cutting it and will probably be replaced with a better one or gotten rid of all together. The stock does look like a folder in that it is skeletonized. However I have seen skeletonized stocks that don't fold. Thank you for your perspective however, you bring up a good point.

Regarding my metal textures. I'm hoping to eventually affect a blued stamped steel look for the magazine. I think when rendered in something like Marmoset I will be able to get that heat treated/oil slick look that is apparent in blued gun parts. The upper and lower receiver are machined steel. I hope to give it a blued surface as well but highly worn.

My lack of apparent rails is because I want to avoid modern elements like the ever present picatinny rail. I've built in the rail as a machined groove in both sides of the top of the receiver.

You are correct that I have left out the charging handle. I've been putting if off for some reason. I think it's something along the line of the cherry on top of my sundae and I'm just delaying gratification. ;)

Thanks again chaps!
  • Bumper
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Well, I've removed the leather cuff. It just wasn't cutting it as a cuff. Looks more like a sneaker. :)

I've also taken off the optical sight as I think this rifle works better as an old school, iron sights only type.

I need to work on my metals more and add a few more pins and what-not before I start the oh so fun process of baking.
    WIP_render9.jpg
  • Grey
    Looking good Bumper. However, I liked how you were mixing styles and era's. I liked the old WWI scope :D It was new and different compared to modern rifles. Keep going, gonna keep an eye on this post.
  • Insomnia Monkey
    Look's awesome bumper. Can't wait to see the finished product :)
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Your metal looks really bland and overly dark, with the exception of the parts at the tip of the gun. Brighten it and add some (non-noisy) texture. The wood is also too saturated and bright, and needs some dark wear around the edges where it meets other materials.